High School soccer or no?

High School soccer will teach you player to adapt to situations of the mental aspect of the sport along with the huge gap in skill level. I have found usually a HS coach will base their playing time on effort and being able to adapt to such a huge variety of demands when faced with a mix match team. Also most of the HS coaches don't care about your club and how many siblings they can suck into the club, money or how much money your family is willing to shell out on soccer!
My daughters are a few years away from having to decide about high school soccer. Though if they do play I am bit concerned with the coaching staff that is there now. From what I am being told player selection and time has a lot to do with the club they play on and not necessarily with ability. This scenario also faced my nieces in OC as they played for a rival club. Hopefully that will change as my kids age towards high school.

From what I am being told player selection and time has a lot to do with the club they play on and not necessarily with ability.
I've been told the same thing however the flip side (again as I am told) is that the high school coach uses the team for "tryouts" for club.

Don't know how true it is but I do know the coach from both high school and his club teams.

I don't know how common this is but in my area I know of a couple of High Schools who added a seventh period of soccer training. I don't know what they call the class but my understanding is that it's a way to get away with early practices for the HS season. They do conditioning, strength training and soccer practice five days a week. They don't give exceptions to club players and they have to take the class to play on the team. Two of the three girls on our team who go to these schools are now injured due to over use injuries. It is way too much volume. It is extremely frustrating and should not be allowed at least if the student is playing club soccer. IMHO those HS coaches are complete idiots.

I don't know how common this is but in my area I know of a couple of High Schools who added a seventh period of soccer training. I don't know what they call the class but my understanding is that it's a way to get away with early practices for the HS season. They do conditioning, strength training and soccer practice five days a week. They don't give exceptions to club players and they have to take the class to play on the team. Two of the three girls on our team who go to these schools are now injured due to over use injuries. It is way too much volume. It is extremely frustrating and should not be allowed at least if the student is playing club soccer. IMHO those HS coaches are complete idiots.

Complain to the Principal. If he does nothing, contact the school board.

It's a loophole. They are aparently classifying it as a PE class. So as long as they are not practicing after school is out they get away with it.
Mine hits high school next year (2004) but played 2003 for the past 3 years so his old teammates are freshmen.
All of the schools in the district seem to run differently. Some chose he team in August, others October.
I sat with 2 parents who’s kids are in different schools, on who’s team was practicing (not PE) and the other who’s team hadn’t been finalized yet.

I don’t know the rules around it but I would think the coaches (most of whom coach club) would hold off until at least the end of league.

It's a loophole. They are aparently classifying it as a PE class. So as long as they are not practicing after school is out they get away with it.

If the coach requires attendance in that class to make the team (or even "strongly encourages" it) sue the bastards.

Freshmen and Sophomores have to take PE. A lot of schools will put kids in last period PE if they know that they are playing a winter and/or spring sport. Thus the PE time is spent conditioning for the sport. If they are practicing after school, the coach will (should) not be around. That way it is just a bunch of kids hanging out.
Over the years, I have also seen several teams still practice with their club coach while the kids are playing high school soccer. Generally it will be under the disguise of conditioning.
Oh and contrary to what E thinks CIF in San Diego is weak and wont do a damn thing.

Freshmen and Sophomores have to take PE. A lot of schools will put kids in last period PE if they know that they are playing a winter and/or spring sport. Thus the PE time is spent conditioning for the sport. If they are practicing after school, the coach will (should) not be around. That way it is just a bunch of kids hanging out.
Over the years, I have also seen several teams still practice with their club coach while the kids are playing high school soccer. Generally it will be under the disguise of conditioning.
Oh and contrary to what E thinks CIF in San Diego is weak and wont do a damn thing.

When did I mention CIF?

Conditioning is fine if the players weren't in the middle of their club season. Lifting weights on Friday, after a week of on field conditioning, before the player has a club game on Sat and Sun is ridiculous. These HS coaches need to realize that the club players are half way through their season so beating them to the ground doesn't make sense. I understand that all HSs are not guilty of this practice but several are.

they do it for all sports. if you play other sports you go to those classes but if you are on a swim team or water polo baseball all of them are year round classes

Martyr? You don't think you would prevail? If the Principal doesn't recognize this as abusive, help the school board find reasons for him to retire.
And have you ever seen a situation where a Principle corrected such an abuse or a Board took action against a Principal? I've seen too many Principals cover for both star pupils and star athletes, especially for the no tolerance rule and illegal residency. Sad but true.

And have you even seen a situation where a Principle corrected such an abuse or a Board took action against a Principal? I've seen too many Principals cover for both star pupils and star athletes, especially for the no tolerance rule and illegal residency. Sad but true.

I guess I'm lucky - I never had to deal with a Principal that ignored principles of fairness and common decency.

A lot of HS kids don't want to take PE and happy to do sport specific 7th period class. Some coaches will do crazy and unnecessary things and some will work on touches and ball skills during this time. Many HS coaches get too crazy and trying to make HS soccer year-round program. School my kids go to, have pre-season, Winter season, post-season and Summer league soccer, which essentially makes it a year-round. It's great for kids who could not afford club soccer and a nightmare for a club players.

A lot of HS kids don't want to take PE and happy to do sport specific 7th period class. Some coaches will do crazy and unnecessary things and some will work on touches and ball skills during this time. Many HS coaches get too crazy and trying to make HS soccer year-round program. School my kids go to, have pre-season, Winter season, post-season and Summer league soccer, which essentially makes it a year-round. It's great for kids who could not afford club soccer and a nightmare for a club players.

I don't have any problem with voluntary participation.

Back