High School soccer in San Diego.

DA players are not playing for Cathedral. They may have been practicing between Nov. 17 and today (1/20) as the DA was in Holiday hiatus. But they are not rostered and did not play in any games this season.
Why would you say they are not rostered or played in any games? I know at least one that is and has played 10 games.

Of course there are. What drama are you referring to? The only drama I have seen here are from people without kids on DA.
All the dramatic whinning that DA is not fair because it does not allow you to play high school. Every boys family I know figured a way around the system or just accepted it.

Why would you say they are not rostered or played in any games? I know at least one that is and has played 10 games.
Well if that is the case, then I was unaware. Apologies. From my understanding, all of the DA players I was familiar with were not playing.

I am glad @Fact pointed this out. I have yet to see a girl who wanted to play who didn't. Seems to me a whole bunch of fuss about nothing. Three I know are playing high school and all on high ranking DA teams. None are on scholarship, all from well to do families, all got waivers. Seems to me getting the waiver is a whole lot easier than they wanted us to know. Apparently we have until 2021 season until "it's enforced" according to everyone I have spoken to.
I watched a lot this season because i heard so much hand wringing about it. At the end of the day all the girls who were going to quit DA because they wanted to play high school realized they can do it and so opted to continue.
A mom I know brought up an interesting point- she said she wished that girls who wanted to get the waiver had to disclose this fact as she felt it was important in terms of roster size to know. I think that's reasonable.

With playoffs looming, any surprises. Teams better than expected or worse? And do you think at least with the public schools, DA has impacted them?

With playoffs looming, any surprises. Teams better than expected or worse? And do you think at least with the public schools, DA has impacted them?

I have noticed some of the normal girls powerhouse schools have teams that are not doing that well or just look normal. All of the coaches of these schools that I have talked with mentioned the missing DA players have had an impact. It will be nice to see some new schools in the playoffs. The one thing I have really noticed, at least in the games I referee, is the play is a lot cleaner for both boys and girls than in the past. I have issued about 70 percent less yellow cards and only one red card. I have seen no outright dirty players like in years past and no major injuries.

Division 1 teams are all guaranteed playoff spots, with top 8 in Open Division created just for playoffs.

Teams are selected according to Power Rankings, viewable here --

http://www.cifsds.org/power-rankings.html

The webpage is a little quirky and frustrating to use, but all the info is there.

So when Cathedral can't play their best recruits, er, players, because of DA they're not as good? Who would have guessed.

75% of all yellow cards that I have seen this year have been for talking back to the ref.
High school "refs" are a sensitive bunch. They like the game to be about them, all two of them half the time.
I'll be glad when it's over.

I meant that calling CIFSD "quirky and frustrating" is too nice.

Yeah, I can see your point. Since the new guy took over, competitiveness has been emphasized, leading to the new division and playoff formats. But you still get teams who have a bad year and are 1-14-1 in Div 1.

First, make sure you have the settings right (year, sport, division). Then always open in a new tab because going back often doesn't go what you think it will.

I was at Poway a couple weeks ago and they told me you moved up north. Enjoy the liberal north.

High school "refs" are a sensitive bunch. They like the game to be about them, all two of them half the time.
I'll be glad when it's over.

We just have a lower level of tolerance for dissent since it is a school sport. That is why profanity, even minor profanity, is punished in HS soccer.

Yeah, I can see your point. Since the new guy took over, competitiveness has been emphasized, leading to the new division and playoff formats. But you still get teams who have a bad year and are 1-14-1 in Div 1.
And you still have the asinine ID camp regulations that violate Title IX.

Back