High School soccer in San Diego.

Thanks MWN. Your explanation leads to the next question. Why is the football season longer than the soccer season? I suspect it is because back in the day when high school AD's could no longer ignore soccer, they put it where ever they could fit it on the calendar. I am certain they did not make any effort to make sure that the female soccer players had the same opportunities as the male football players with regards to publicity or recruiting. The ONLY reason soccer for females became a HS sport was Title IX. Another issue, I have yet to see a high school soccer field that does not negatively impact the game due to it being too small (Coronado is the worst I have seen being only 100 yds x ~65 yds).

I like Coronado’s fields. Short and narrow means less running. F Parker has a new turf field and it is big. Their field used to be long (120 yards) and narrow, but this new is just as long but a lot wider. A rough estimate would be 70 yards wide. By the HS rules, fields can be 100-120 yards long by 55-80 yards wide. Those very narrow and short fields really suck and usually cause more fouls since the players cannot spread out and most play is direct. Christian HS has one of those short and narrow fields.

Does anyone have comments regarding how DA has impacted schools? Any powerhouse in the Open Division, I or II really now belong in III or IV?

Does anyone have comments regarding how DA has impacted schools? Any powerhouse in the Open Division, I or II really now belong in III or IV?
I know a couple girls that are playing both. There is a lot of talent in the San Diego county for the DA to make that huge of an impact in the powerhouses.

Because of the exemptions allowed for players who are attending private schools on scholarship, one would expect that those schools would be not affected at all.
Are Cathedral San Diego DA girls playing? Not sure the Surf coach would want them to eventhough it would be a direct benefit to her.
What about the public schools? I was thinking the South Bay schools would close the gap with North County schools who probably have a higher percentage of DA players

Are Cathedral San Diego DA girls playing? Not sure the Surf coach would want them to eventhough it would be a direct benefit to her.
What about the public schools? I was thinking the South Bay schools would close the gap with North County schools who probably have a higher percentage of DA players
Yes. DA players are playing for Cathedral.

Yes. DA players are playing for Cathedral.
DA players are not playing for Cathedral. They may have been practicing between Nov. 17 and today (1/20) as the DA was in Holiday hiatus. But they are not rostered and did not play in any games this season.

DA players are not playing for Cathedral. They may have been practicing between Nov. 17 and today (1/20) as the DA was in Holiday hiatus. But they are not rostered and did not play in any games this season.

You realize, of course, that Seniors who have already found a college connection have nothing to lose by playing high school.

You realize, of course, that Seniors who have already found a college connection have nothing to lose by playing high school.
Very true. And surprisingly there are many DA kids that really wanted to play HS but were unable to for several reasons that I heard. Some college coaches of committed kids required them to stay in the DA. I even heard (and not sure how true or realistic, or even permissible this would be) that kids scholarships were threatened if they opted out of DA for HS. And then of course, there were kids riddled with guilt by DA coaches that really wanted to play HS.

Having stated that, I am also aware of several (maybe there are more) kids who left the DA to play the HS season entirely or at least after the Dec games in FL. All of these kids were from Albion. They all hated it and wouldn’t continue to pass up there Senior years (and a couple of Juniors) in HS. Most notably at Point Loma and OLP.

I should also specify that my comments are only regarding girls. I’m not too privy on the boys side regarding DA, and that has been in place for over a decade now. Not as much drama.

Very true. And surprisingly there are many DA kids that really wanted to play HS but were unable to for several reasons that I heard. Some college coaches of committed kids required them to stay in the DA. I even heard (and not sure how true or realistic, or even permissible this would be) that kids scholarships were threatened if they opted out of DA for HS. And then of course, there were kids riddled with guilt by DA coaches that really wanted to play HS.

Having stated that, I am also aware of several (maybe there are more) kids who left the DA to play the HS season entirely or at least after the Dec games in FL. All of these kids were from Albion. They all hated it and wouldn’t continue to pass up there Senior years (and a couple of Juniors) in HS. Most notably at Point Loma and OLP.

I should also specify that my comments are only regarding girls. I’m not too privy on the boys side regarding DA, and that has been in place for over a decade now. Not as much drama.

The boys side has bee riddled with DA defectors since they started enforcing the high school restriction years ago.

I find it amusing that DA on the girls side has so much power since they have no track record.

Of course they hated it - typically played less than 1/3 the game - probably didn't really belong anyways.

Of course they hated it - typically played less than 1/3 the game - probably didn't really belong anyways.
Severl of them are/were 90 minute players, a few would split games soem Times. Always on the Roster and played in nearly every game. Look at the Albion 00/99 Roster and figure out who. Ask Albion if they belonged? I’m not sure Albion belongs in the DA really???

Severl of them are/were 90 minute players, a few would split games soem Times. Always on the Roster and played in nearly every game. Look at the Albion 00/99 Roster and figure out who. Ask Albion if they belonged? I’m not sure Albion belongs in the DA really???

Which one was a 90 minute player that left Albion for good?

Which one was a 90 minute player that left Albion for good?
Well perhaps I may have misquoted and forgive me if I did. What I think I stated was that they left for the entire HS season. Perhaps they will return (if the club allows it) in March when HS ends and CIF/State playoffs end. I’m not sure if putting a youth players name in a forum thread is wise so I won’t. Here’s the link to their roster. I gave the schools where I know for sure girls are playing the entire HS season.

http://albn.ussoccerda.com/sam/teams/index.php?team=3943500

I would imagine that maybe other players left because of the reasons you stated. I would agree with that statement as well. There are many players that are in the DA that probably do not belong. Another reason why it is all in question I would guess? However, this is not the case with the players and teams I’m referring to. But again, I agree with your statement.

Well perhaps I may have misquoted and forgive me if I did. What I think I stated was that they left for the entire HS season. Perhaps they will return (if the club allows it) in March when HS ends and CIF/State playoffs end. I’m not sure if putting a youth players name in a forum thread is wise so I won’t. Here’s the link to their roster. I gave the schools where I know for sure girls are playing the entire HS season.

http://albn.ussoccerda.com/sam/teams/index.php?team=3943500

I would imagine that maybe other players left because of the reasons you stated. I would agree with that statement as well. There are many players that are in the DA that probably do not belong. Another reason why it is all in question I would guess? However, this is not the case with the players and teams I’m referring to. But again, I agree with your statement.
OB is right. Girls on the list are on the DA roster and high school roster as well. I don't remember this much drama with boys DA. Seemed like there was always a way for them to quit the DA team and then rejoin after high school, including at the public schools.

OB is right. Girls on the list are on the DA roster and high school roster as well. I don't remember this much drama with boys DA. Seemed like there was always a way for them to quit the DA team and then rejoin after high school, including at the public schools.

Of course there are. What drama are you referring to? The only drama I have seen here are from people without kids on DA.

Back