High School soccer in San Diego.

NumberTen

SILVER ELITE
With the new high school season underway, are they any tips for kids playing in the San Diego section? What different down here? As a newbie to high school, it all is very confusing.

high school soccer is like a box of chocolates. you never know what you'll get. from good to horrible and anything in between.

A lot of very direct soccer. Very good players playing with and against very novice players. Some great coaches and some really bad coaches. Most of the fields are good artificial turf except for the crappy grass/weed fields of the South Bay. Some really bad defensive players that will play very dirty against the good players. Some of these games are played in cold weather especially in January and February at Steele Canyon and El Cap. Get a small portable propane heater. It should be interesting on the girls side this year with the best players playing DA and not HS. Practices can be anywhere from productive to a waste of time. Practices and games are 5-6 days a week so give your kid the weekends off to hang with friends and family.

Dual Referee system (2 refs on the field with whistles) which creates some blind spots for the refs. The schools with a little more money and better teams will pay for three referee system.

A lot of very direct soccer. Very good players playing with and against very novice players. Some great coaches and some really bad coaches. Most of the fields are good artificial turf except for the crappy grass/weed fields of the South Bay. Some really bad defensive players that will play very dirty against the good players. Some of these games are played in cold weather especially in January and February at Steele Canyon and El Cap. Get a small portable propane heater. It should be interesting on the girls side this year with the best players playing DA and not HS. Practices can be anywhere from productive to a waste of time. Practices and games are 5-6 days a week so give your kid the weekends off to hang with friends and family.

Dual Referee system (2 refs on the field with whistles) which creates some blind spots for the refs. The schools with a little more money and better teams will pay for three referee system.

The obvious mark of a good program is three referees at the games. Another is the existence of a full Freshman team, the numbers of which have been dwindling lately, even at the bigger high schools.

The obvious mark of a good program is three referees at the games. Another is the existence of a full Freshman team, the numbers of which have been dwindling lately, even at the bigger high schools.
UC High just added freshman teams for both girls and boys this year.

I guess it's hard for any school to have a freshman team if there is no one to play.

Not as many girls opting out of high school soccer than I expected. May be a sign, maybe not.

Can anyone point me in the right direction regarding the CIF (specifically SDS) rules governing a trying out for a winter sport (soccer) while still competing in a Fall sport? We were told that dd can't try out and she's done with XC, so she's not been able to try out for soccer yet, but we were told that she will be given the same opportunity to try out as everyone else. However, she still has another week of XC, so I decided to research the actual rules pertaining to this, and I skimmed through the green book and the only reference I found was pertaining to the number of hours a day and athlete may participate in overlapping sports. Can anyone offer any insight? Thanks!

That is not a rule. She can tryout for a hs team while competing on another team. Whoever told you that is crazy. A ton of my friend's kids all tried out for soccer while still running XC, playing field hockey, etc.

When I was talking to the boys coaches last night before the game the subject of freshman teams came up. One coach said he had almost 200 boys at tryouts, but only had enough money to fund JV and varsity teams. Both coaches said that without fundraising they would not be able to afford to have a JV team. One coach said he is not playing JV games in December so he has enough money to cover the entire season. A coach went over HS costs with me a couple years ago. Their budget for a 30 game season gets eaten up fast with coaches salary $500-$1500 a month (4 months at least $3000 average for bigger school varsity), Referee fees for season (16 home games: 2-man $2000 3-man $3800), misc expenses like uniforms, buses, etc $1000-$2000. I know at least one varsity coach that pays his JV coach out of his varsity salary and another small school coach who was a volunteer. From what I have heard, the only fully funded programs are at the private schools where they require the players to pay to play.

When I was talking to the boys coaches last night before the game the subject of freshman teams came up. One coach said he had almost 200 boys at tryouts, but only had enough money to fund JV and varsity teams. Both coaches said that without fundraising they would not be able to afford to have a JV team. One coach said he is not playing JV games in December so he has enough money to cover the entire season. A coach went over HS costs with me a couple years ago. Their budget for a 30 game season gets eaten up fast with coaches salary $500-$1500 a month (4 months at least $3000 average for bigger school varsity), Referee fees for season (16 home games: 2-man $2000 3-man $3800), misc expenses like uniforms, buses, etc $1000-$2000. I know at least one varsity coach that pays his JV coach out of his varsity salary and another small school coach who was a volunteer. From what I have heard, the only fully funded programs are at the private schools where they require the players to pay to play.
I wonder how much the football coaches make. I will bet it is multiples of what the girls soccer coaches make.

Does anyone know the schedule for the Francis Parker Cup tournament this weekend? I can't find a schedule or brackets anywhere.

I wonder how much the football coaches make. I will bet it is multiples of what the girls soccer coaches make.

In most school districts its not multiples, rather about 20% more, which is in recognition of the longer season. For example, in my school district, this is the stipend schedule: http://tvusd-ca.schoolloop.com/file/1253164087356/1414654745388/4309417539037828215.pdf

Note, the stipend schedule is generally a public document somewhere on your school district website.

This is typical for California schools. Boys and Girls soccer coaches are paid the same. The payment of coaches in high school sports is not tied to revenue, rather, budget. Football tends to be the only revenue generating sport at the high school level, with almost all of the revenue getting driven back into the program.

What makes high school sports a little different is that existing teachers are given preference over outside coaches, which is why we often seen good club coaches losing out to the biology teacher that thinks they can coach soccer now that they have their newly minted E-License after coaching the U12 Rec team their daughter plays on.

In most school districts its not multiples, rather about 20% more, which is in recognition of the longer season. For example, in my school district, this is the stipend schedule: http://tvusd-ca.schoolloop.com/file/1253164087356/1414654745388/4309417539037828215.pdf

Note, the stipend schedule is generally a public document somewhere on your school district website.

This is typical for California schools. Boys and Girls soccer coaches are paid the same. The payment of coaches in high school sports is not tied to revenue, rather, budget. Football tends to be the only revenue generating sport at the high school level, with almost all of the revenue getting driven back into the program.

What makes high school sports a little different is that existing teachers are given preference over outside coaches, which is why we often seen good club coaches losing out to the biology teacher that thinks they can coach soccer now that they have their newly minted E-License after coaching the U12 Rec team their daughter plays on.

Thanks MWN. Your explanation leads to the next question. Why is the football season longer than the soccer season? I suspect it is because back in the day when high school AD's could no longer ignore soccer, they put it where ever they could fit it on the calendar. I am certain they did not make any effort to make sure that the female soccer players had the same opportunities as the male football players with regards to publicity or recruiting. The ONLY reason soccer for females became a HS sport was Title IX. Another issue, I have yet to see a high school soccer field that does not negatively impact the game due to it being too small (Coronado is the worst I have seen being only 100 yds x ~65 yds).

Back