HERE’S A NEW WRINKLE

So, my daughter’s a junior in HS this year. She played Varsity Soccer as a freshman and Sophomore, as well as Varsity Field Hockey her freshman year. The rule when she entered HS, was that Varsity participation replaced a year of PE. She, as a freshman, also took PE as required. However, the school is now saying that a new rule is in place that doesn’t count the freshman and senior years participation in Varsity sports in place of PE. This seems ridiculous. She is not allowed to play HS soccer due to DA this year, so it appears she’s being required to take 1 semester during her Senior year. I would think that this “New” rule shouldn’t or wouldn’t apply to current students. At least the juniors and seniors! I don’t know? Thoughts anyone? Insight?

So, my daughter’s a junior in HS this year. She played Varsity Soccer as a freshman and Sophomore, as well as Varsity Field Hockey her freshman year. The rule when she entered HS, was that Varsity participation replaced a year of PE. She, as a freshman, also took PE as required. However, the school is now saying that a new rule is in place that doesn’t count the freshman and senior years participation in Varsity sports in place of PE. This seems ridiculous. She is not allowed to play HS soccer due to DA this year, so it appears she’s being required to take 1 semester during her Senior year. I would think that this “New” rule shouldn’t or wouldn’t apply to current students. At least the juniors and seniors! I don’t know? Thoughts anyone? Insight?

Can you quote the rule here for us?

I emailed the Assistant Principal earlier with a request for clarification. I just figured my peeps on the forum might be able to provide insight quicker than I’ll likely see a response to my email.

Graduation requirements remain the same as the date of HS entrance. So a district may change the overall requirements for graduation, but the requirements when the student enters 9th grade should remain the same. The AP should relay this as well.

Participation on a sports team regardless of Varsity or Junior Varsity should always count as fulfilling any PE requirements.

I’ll admit that even with a child in HS now, I have never heard that JV sports wouldn’t meet the requirement.

Early, bear with me. Stupid time change

My kids school, students in soccer were told it covers the entire year of PE. The district requires 2 years to graduate.
Incoming freshmen were given a PE class until accepted onto a team.
They practice from October thru the end of the season the end of Jan/beginning of Feb.

We got an email as the season ended stating (paraphrasing); “due to the fact that coaches will not be available to train students after then end of season play, all freshman and sophomores will be automatically enrolled in a PE class”

We’re weren’t at the school last year but according to some of the team that were freshmen, frosh and JV players did get a full year of PE credit with the same coaching circumstances.

Participation at Winter sport does not cover a year of PE requirement as far as I know.

I wouldn’t think it covers a full year of the PE requirement, but there is no reason it shouldn’t fulfill a semester of it. Winter sports are generally November-Late Feb/Early March

I wouldn’t think it covers a full year of the PE requirement, but there is no reason it shouldn’t fulfill a semester of it. Winter sports are generally November-Late Feb/Early March

I know in my school it does not. In order to cover a year of PE, students need to take 3 sports - Fall, Winter and Spring.
In case they are doing only 1 sport, they will need to take PE in place of other 2.

Early, bear with me. Stupid time change

My kids school, students in soccer were told it covers the entire year of PE. The district requires 2 years to graduate.
Incoming freshmen were given a PE class until accepted onto a team.
They practice from October thru the end of the season the end of Jan/beginning of Feb.

We got an email as the season ended stating (paraphrasing); “due to the fact that coaches will not be available to train students after then end of season play, all freshman and sophomores will be automatically enrolled in a PE class”

We’re weren’t at the school last year but according to some of the team that were freshmen, frosh and JV players did get a full year of PE credit with the same coaching circumstances.

Pre-season and post-season of sport will normally count as full year, but not otherwise.

You might look into the option of independent study in PE, and whether your district allows that. When I was on a club board, on more than one occasion, we filled out the documentation and accommodated players needs who used their club soccer to satisfy PE as an independent study. Times have changed, schools have adjusted some policies in retaliation for the DA HS prohibition, so it may no longer apply.

You might look into the option of independent study in PE, and whether your district allows that. When I was on a club board, on more than one occasion, we filled out the documentation and accommodated players needs who used their club soccer to satisfy PE as an independent study. Times have changed, schools have adjusted some policies in retaliation for the DA HS prohibition, so it may no longer apply.

Retaliation?

Retaliation?

A policy of not letting DA athletes participate in signing day, when they are prohibited by their league from playing that sport in HS (as discussed on these forums), can be characterized as retaliatory. I prefer foolish, but I figured I would get a response from you if I used that word.

Get this... My daughter is a Sophomore and has been a 3 sport Varsity athlete for Soccer, Track and Cross Country since Freshman year. Her HS doesn't give credit for any of this. She's just now finishing up her PE requirement after 2 years of this BS. AND, PE has all these intense requirements that involve writiting and analysis + if you miss any days, you must make up both physical and writing components! Soooo stupid.

Independent Study PE is the best option, as Two Xs said. But this can be a battle. Each district has their own rules on who can take it. For our district, if the sport is offered at the varsity level you cannot take ISPE. We were able to get my son in the program by showing proof that DA won’t allow athletes to play HS ball.

If you get push-back, maybe it’s time to march the issue up the chain of command. Superintendent. School board.

If you decide to go to battle, go into this with the attitude “I just want to do what’s best for my kid. I want her to have to best opportunity for both academic and athletic success. Please help us do that.”

Here's the ED Code for California allowing after school sports to allow exemption from PE..of course the school board would have to approve it, but it would have to be the same for every high school in your district
Under EC Section 51242, "The governing board of a school district may exempt any four-year or senior high school pupil from attending courses of physical education, if the pupil is engaged in a regular school-sponsored interscholastic athletic program carried on wholly or partially after regular school hours.”

At my kid's school, basketball players get PE credit since the basketball coach is an accredited teacher, no other sports get PE credit.

Back