Help with blisters

Do you guys have any tips on preventing blisters? My DD gets them on the inside/bottom of her big toe and the bump right below the big toe.

Get her some good fitting shoes. Take her to a local soccer store and have her try different high end models and see what fits best. Then if they don't have a sale, you might be able to find them cheaper online, but at least you know the type of shoe.

Shoes and socks...blisters

The two pair of socks not all that practical for soccer but i know players that use Glide Skin protector anti-Friction Cream

I remember someone advising against wearing two pairs of socks as they rub together and cause blisters.
There are thin silky socks that wick mosture. They are meant for
hiking and worn under regular wool hiking socks. My son’s friends have had good results with them for hiking.

i use to pitch and get blisters. i use to resort to crazy glue to get an extra layer of skin and so it wouldnt break open. healed once i stopped pitching. ive always read up on anything related, especially being a big baseball fan. This article is probably best article ive read on the issue:

https://sports.vice.com/en_ca/artic...rich-hill-and-baseballs-biggest-little-injury

I dont recommend going Nolan Ryan and shaving skin away. This is also the hand and not the foot but the premise is the same. Friction sucks. Rubbing + Moisture = recipe for hurt

In terms of hiking I've had a lot of problems with back of heel blisters even using hiking socks and double pairs of socks
On a recent trip, an experienced hiker told me to put single layer of white athletic tape over problem area (all the time, before any problems happened) and this worked wonders. By doing this, friction happens on the tape and nothing is rubbing directly on the skin
This might work for your kid -- but it might be difficult in big-toe area, I'm not sure. Might be worth a try.

In terms of hiking I've had a lot of problems with back of heel blisters even using hiking socks and double pairs of socks
On a recent trip, an experienced hiker told me to put single layer of white athletic tape over problem area (all the time, before any problems happened) and this worked wonders. By doing this, friction happens on the tape and nothing is rubbing directly on the skin
This might work for your kid -- but it might be difficult in big-toe area, I'm not sure. Might be worth a try.
hah, thought just reminded me of using duct tape on the heels of a kid who had blisters. he said it helped, or at least got him through the game. but couldnt imagine it being a permanent fix. i feel for kids with reoccurring issue, no fun.

Do you guys have any tips on preventing blisters? My DD gets them on the inside/bottom of her big toe and the bump right below the big toe.
Here are a couple things I've done personally. I know someone said that wearing two pairs of socks has its limitations but I've been doing it most of my playing career. Though its a proactive response and not a reactive one. Also, this is pricey option, but often blisters develop because of the time/friction spent wearing a specific shoe. Switching shoes at halftime. It may sound odd, but another thing I've done to prevent blisters.

Here are a couple things I've done personally. I know someone said that wearing two pairs of socks has its limitations but I've been doing it most of my playing career. Though its a proactive response and not a reactive one. Also, this is pricey option, but often blisters develop because of the time/friction spent wearing a specific shoe. Switching shoes at halftime. It may sound odd, but another thing I've done to prevent blisters.

Hmmm...interesting. I've never heard of switching shoes.
DD tried the double socks before but she didn't like it.

That's a lot of work to do all the time but maybe she'll be willing to put in the extra effort if it will prevent it from occurring in the first place.

My 14 year old dd just started suffering with blisters in the exact same spot this season. The worst one is between the big toe and the next toe. I have read extensively on line and talked to sales people at stores for runners, soccer players and hikers. I have bought new shoes and made sure that the most experienced salesperson checked the fit. She also gets them now when running in her tennis shoes which previously did not cause a problem.

We have tried not only the glide skin mentioned above but also Body Glide Foot Anti Blister, Hike Goo, Petroleum Jelly, Lamb’s Wool Padding (you are suppose to only need a little bit and wrap around the toes) and 2nd skin Blister Kit. We have also changed her insoles but nothing has helped too much. At practice I have her wear socks made for hiking from REI. I also make sure she takes off her cleats immediately after practice and games so her feet and shoes dry out. I am hoping it is just a phase. Good luck.

Oh man, I feel for you. Good luck!

Boots need to fit properly and be laced up tight to prevent slippage inside thus leading to blisters.
A few years ago my daughters feet were hammered from long sweaty days at a week long GK camp. I invested in Trusox. Expensive at $40 a pair but she's never had a blister since (knock on wood) and they last awhile. She won't wear anything else while playing.
Or maybe just try changing socks halfway thru game or practice. Keeps the feet drier by changing out of the sweaty socks which is only part of the problem. My .02

Boots need to fit properly and be laced up tight to prevent slippage inside thus leading to blisters.
A few years ago my daughters feet were hammered from long sweaty days at a week long GK camp. I invested in Trusox. Expensive at $40 a pair but she's never had a blister since (knock on wood) and they last awhile. She won't wear anything else while playing.
Or maybe just try changing socks halfway thru game or practice. Keeps the feet drier by changing out of the sweaty socks which is only part of the problem. My .02
Trusox is a good suggestion unless your team does not wear white or black socks.:(

True, slippage is part of the problem. Unfortunately many people cannot find cleats that fit properly due to wide toe box and or narrow heal. Orthotics only help so much with this. To help prevent slippage you can tie a knot in the laces at the second hole and then continue to lace them up. This will help keep the toe box area tighter.

Trusox is a good suggestion unless your team does not wear white or black socks.:(

The full length only comes in black or white. You're correct. But you can get crew length in over 10 different colors.
What you do is put either length you choose on with your shin guards. Then you take your team color sock..cut them at the ankle..slide those on over..tape the slipped on team sock at the ankle. Bam!! Done deal. Lots of pros do it this way. I think they might even show that on the website but I didn't look.

If you search different ways of tying shoe you'll find ways of securing the cleat tighter around the ankle.
(Or for example skipping the first holes at the beginning to give more width around the foot/toebox area.)
That's how I found the double slip knot for my kid. Being a GK she can't be tying her shoes over and over during a game. Easy to learn. Done right they won't come untied yet are easy to undo.

Back