Hard Cast during State Cup

It benefits no one to have a the child play with a broken arm. I think we've really lost our perspective on youth sports when we promote having kids play injured. Unfortunately, I think its a result, in part, of this culture where we want to protect our kids from disappointment, so we ignore common sense and allow our child to play injured so he/she will not "miss out" on State Cup.
Kids have played with casts from time immemorial.

State cup is over rated. Unless your kid is on a top 5 team that has a real shot to win it all, its just another event with some more games. Think how dumb you will feel in the ER explaining how good you padded her cast and how important those games were.
Your ER scenario is overrated.

We went through this recently. we had 50-50 results in CRL games - totally dependent on the ref.
CRL, SCDSL and state cup leave it to referee discretion. CSL says no hard casts whatsoever.

If it explicitly says in competition rules that casts are not allowed then the kid will not be allowed to play with a cast regardless what anyone else says.

Contrarian. If you disagree with me then you make my point valid. My kid broke her arm close to her growth plate this year and missed 14 games. Her arm is healed perfectly and is back playing. Seen too many kids rush back in after an injury and get hurt again for longer. Letting your body heal is never a bad decision.

Contrarian. If you disagree with me then you make my point valid. My kid broke her arm close to her growth plate this year and missed 14 games. Her arm is healed perfectly and is back playing. Seen too many kids rush back in after an injury and get hurt again for longer. Letting your body heal is never a bad decision.
Liar.

Actually, it's not.
Depending on where the fracture is, even a hard cast isn't completely protective of an injury. It is relatively protective.
This is why frequently forearm fractures may be casted above the elbow for several weeks until a callous forms and they are stable to the simple movement of the elbow and shortening of the cast to below the elbow (but not stable to a hard fall onto the cast/arm).
I think it is ludicrous to have your kid play with a hard cast, purely for the issue of additional (and unnecessary) injury risk
As I coach, I wouldn't allow it (but fortunately the league had very clear rules on this).
I've seen a few kids play with various iterations of padded forearms, and every single time the cast has been used as a blunt object against other players--- intentionally or not I do not know

So we were told yesterday that my child has a buckle fracture on his forearm and needs a hard cast. Does anyone know if he will be allowed to play in State Cup? Do we have any options? Hard cast or splint?

My daughter broke her hand in an SCDSL game this last fall. She was put in a hard cast that went around the hand and about half-way up her forearm.

Initially she was resigned to participating in the non-contact portion of practices and missing the rest, including the remaining league games. However, after the first practice back she said she thought she could move pretty well and wanted to try putting bubble wrap on the cast to be able to play.

We bought the big bubble wrap and wrapped her whole hand/arm before practices and games. Ultimately, she was able to play in all but one game based on the discretion of the referees. She was pretty happy about it because our base assumption was that the referees would not let her play, so she never really expected to be in the game.

This was her first year with the team and this really just allowed her to stay connected with the girls on the field and continue to grow in understanding. She was definitely always aware of the cast and not nearly as aggressive as normal. So, it impacted the way she played (as you would expect).

Our experience really reflects what others have said. It was totally based on the discretion of the referees in each game and we were fine with that. She was going to be at the games anyway to support her team.

The field marshal and referee coordinator can reason with the referee and try to convince him but they cannot overrule his decision.....

At Oceanside older SC last year I saw Leo and the other ref coordinator overrule a ref. His words to the ref were, "Let the kid play." The ref didn't seem very happy, but the kid played. Lee even sat their in his cart and watched part of the game. We were told in the morning ref meeting that casts were allowed, so evidently that ref had not been listening.

At Oceanside older SC last year I saw Leo and the other ref coordinator overrule a ref. His words to the ref were, "Let the kid play." The ref didn't seem very happy, but the kid played. Lee even sat their in his cart and watched part of the game. We were told in the morning ref meeting that casts were allowed, so evidently that ref had not been listening.
I do not doubt what you're saying but the referee still has final say. If the referee says no, it's no regardless what anyone else says.

I do not doubt what you're saying but the referee still has final say. If the referee says no, it's no regardless what anyone else says.

I hope you guys sort this out before the weekend.

Correct. Ref has FINAL say. Could get replaced and or blacklisted by not doing what the ref coordinator told him to do. And just because some "Ref Coordinator" says to let the kid play... doesn't mean it is the correct thing to do!

Correct. Ref has FINAL say. Could get replaced and or blacklisted by not doing what the ref coordinator told him to do. And just because some "Ref Coordinator" says to let the kid play... doesn't mean it is the correct thing to do!

I am reminded of the charity tournament recently where the Tournament Director fired Dr. A right off the field because he wasn't going to let a little girl play with her glasses on, after she had played with them in her two previous games.

The added bonus of having your Coach or Manager runoff to the Ref Coordinator to prove you're more right than the ref, is now you have ingratiated your team with the ref right before kickoff.

The added bonus of having your Coach or Manager runoff to the Ref Coordinator to prove you're more right than the ref, is now you have ingratiated your team with the ref right before kickoff.

Standing up for your rights in the face of authority is the American way.

So be sure to check out your referee's accent first.

Not for state or national cup.

I am reminded of the charity tournament recently where the Tournament Director fired Dr. A right off the field because he wasn't going to let a little girl play with her glasses on, after she had played with them in her two previous games.
The things you've written about this so called Dr. A right are just astounding. If one were to come up with a caricarization of an imperious, clownish referee, I don't see how anyone can top it. For instance, how did he come up with this latest nonsense? Certainly not from the LOTG.

The things you've written about this so called Dr. A right are just astounding. If one were to come up with a caricarization of an imperious, clownish referee, I don't see how anyone can top it. For instance, how did he come up with this latest nonsense? Certainly not from the LOTG.

I have to stick up for E. His comments about the Doc are correct. I was told that he finally hug up the whistle. Unfortunately it appears the Doc has not changed with the times. He was a Grade 5 at one time many, many, many years ago and seems to have taken his 15 and not adapted to the changing LOTG and times. I saw him a couple years ago Yellow card a HS age player that entered the field as a substitute about two yards to the side of the center line. He told the coach the player had entered the field incorrectly as a sub. I have seen him do some other crazy stuff on several occasions. A few years ago I got an assignment to work with him and declined the games. Luckily the assignor understood and put me on other games.

There is You Tube video out there of the incident E was talking about.

Back