"HANDBALL"

Some rec leagues like JUSA had it in their rules that for certain ages, all kicks for all offenses were indirect free kicks. Check to make sure you were not playing in one of those.

It was a calsouth regular tournament, the SD Cup Invitational. I run our local rec league as well, I have made some just our league rules that I think help the little ones. This one had the normal fifa rules stuff.

It was a calsouth regular tournament, the SD Cup Invitational. I run our local rec league as well, I have made some just our league rules that I think help the little ones. This one had the normal fifa rules stuff.

Our rec league rules for the youngest groups said no offside calls until halfway through the season. When the magic weekend arrived, confusion reigned.

On this topic, I had to call 2 direct kicks in a U9 game over the weekend. Keeper 8 years old grabbed the ball twice outside the Penalty Area. Its U9 so I explained the rule, but the second time she was in tears. I waited until she dried her eyes a bit before allowing the DK. Good news is she stopped both.

I heard about that? I think a lot of those confused ended up at RB

I used to think that it was only beginning referees that got confused with direct/indirect calls - but here is a box score from a D1 college game, where an indirect kick was awarded after a handling call near midfield. Both teams questioned the call, the defenders arguing it was not handling, and the attackers asking why it was indirect. Eventually everyone just shrugged their shoulders and took the kick, which resulted in the only goal of the game.

http://www.ucdavisaggies.com/sports/m-soccer/stats/2010-2011/ucdmsc11.html

Question for you. Goalkeeper has the ball, walks out of the box with the ball in his hand. Hand ball. Direct correct?

It would be a direct free kick at the spot where the whole of the ball completely crossed out of the penalty area boundary while meeting the criteria for handling (keeper holding the ball). It is the position of the ball and not the position of the player/keeper. Once the keeper is outside of the penalty area they are treated like a normal player.

There are infractions that can be committed by the keeper that can result in an indirect free kick, but all of those would occur in the penalty area.

It would be a direct free kick at the spot where the whole of the ball completely crossed out of the penalty area boundary while meeting the criteria for handling (keeper holding the ball). It is the position of the ball and not the position of the player/keeper. Once the keeper is outside of the penalty area they are treated like a normal player.

There are infractions that can be committed by the keeper that can result in an indirect free kick, but all of those would occur in the penalty area.
It was placed in the right spot, etc. The kid on my team buried it, he called it back. I asked him how that could be, he said it was indirect. I then asked for clarification on the call, he said hand ball. My comment was "so it was a hand ball, but it was indirect." He said that it was. It was a 2010 game, so I let it go. The funnier part was the kid that hit the shot asking him twice why he took his goal away. :)

I used to think that it was only beginning referees that got confused with direct/indirect calls - but here is a box score from a D1 college game, where an indirect kick was awarded after a handling call near midfield. Both teams questioned the call, the defenders arguing it was not handling, and the attackers asking why it was indirect. Eventually everyone just shrugged their shoulders and took the kick, which resulted in the only goal of the game.

This is not possible. Referees cannot make mistakes. They are always right. Ask a troll.

How do you know the call was for hand ball?

How do you know the call was for hand ball?

I saw the play live (looked like possible handling to me, depending on the referee's angle and opinion), I watched the referee's gestures as he explained the play to the players on the field, and I spoke to some of the players after the game.

I saw the play live (looked like possible handling to me, depending on the referee's angle and opinion), I watched the referee's gestures as he explained the play to the players on the field, and I spoke to some of the players after the game.
And what did it look like to the referee? I take it you didn't ask him?

Back