GU16 National Team

What have you been reading? ECNL cut them . ECNL made the choice for them. Last summer weren’t we on here talking about how Surf’ ECNL teams were being sold on the DPL after they were unexpectedly cut? Hell Real Colorado’s Director just had a recent article no less than two months about they would choose ECNL IF they would give them two teams. The concessions were given last summer for those teams that made the switch.

This pissing match only hurts the girls. Who gives a sh*t what league you play in. The NATIONAL team should be just that! The best of the best kinda how Surf Cup used to be. Our DD can’t control their geography or their parents finances. It sucks when you tell your kid to be the best and work hard. Colleges know who the best players are, and that’s what this should all be about. Putting together a national team comprised of the best.
$omething is very wrong and I $mell $omething rotten with $oCal $occer/US $occer. I have personally dealt with this with my 04' dd in $ocal. Two clubs have very $trong ties to U$ $occer. $urf & Legend$. Why? $urf has a 5 year contract with US $occer. Klingsman is financially involved with Silver Lakes. I'm pissed because my dd loves playing soccer and would like to compete against the best of the best. She is also very social and where she goes to HS it's cool and fun to play HS soccer.

What I got out of that article was that ecnl didn't want dual clubs to place their B teams in ecnl so they made those clubs choose 1 or the other. If they chose DA sure I guess you can claim they got cut by ecnl just as someone else can say they dropped ecnl cause they could have kept it if they chose to.

Colorado club said they would choose ecnl if they got 2 ecnl teams if not then they would choose DA. Since they are now all in DA we could assume ecnl didn't give them 2 teams like they did Slammers.

What I got out of that article was that ecnl didn't want dual clubs to place their B teams in ecnl so they made those clubs choose 1 or the other. If they chose DA sure I guess you can claim they got cut by ecnl just as someone else can say they dropped ecnl cause they could have kept it if they chose to.

Colorado club said they would choose ecnl if they got 2 ecnl teams if not then they would choose DA. Since they are now all in DA we could assume ecnl didn't give them 2 teams like they did Slammers.

Think about that for a second....all ECNL had to do was allow two teams for those clubs. The clubs were willing to come back if they did so. ECNL gave them that offer after the first year of GDA. Everyone that returned after year two GDA got one team only. The way it looks you all will have a league with just Texas and SoCal, and as a result the USYNT will be from SoCal, Earthquake, Tophat, and Texas. In doing so does how does that hold more weight for those selected? I personally think it diminishes their accomplishments.

I also think it tarnishes the reputation of U.S. because everyone else in the world is picking the best AND watching the World Cup shows that the U.S. has a lot of talent playing for different countries.

Don’t confuse the youth national teams with the senior national team.
Senior teams won’t look at whether they played DA or not. College, pro, semi pro performance will be what matters.

Do any of the youth national teams get paid? I’m assuming the u15-u19 players do not. I assume their camp call ups, travel and training costs are covered. Do the u20 and u23 players make any money from playing in the national team?

Don’t confuse the youth national teams with the senior national team.
Senior teams won’t look at whether they played DA or not. College, pro, semi pro performance will be what matters.

Do any of the youth national teams get paid? I’m assuming the u15-u19 players do not. I assume their camp call ups, travel and training costs are covered. Do the u20 and u23 players make any money from playing in the national team?

I’m not confusing it at all. My point is that some of the most talented young ladies playing in the World Cup are U.S. citizens playing for other countries. There’s no need for me to make a list. Most senior national teams don’t care which league you played with the exception of ours whether it’s the DA or NWSL. They care.

Of course the YNT don’t get paid. Doing so would make them ineligible to compete in the NCAA. However, having YNT experiences on your soccer resume makes the college recruiting process a lot easier.

I’m not confusing it at all. My point is that some of the most talented young ladies playing in the World Cup are U.S. citizens playing for other countries. There’s no need for me to make a list. Most senior national teams don’t care which league you played with the exception of ours whether it’s the DA or NWSL. They care.

Of course the YNT don’t get paid. Doing so would make them ineligible to compete in the NCAA. However, having YNT experiences on your soccer resume makes the college recruiting process a lot easier.

Imagine a scenario in which a player is eligible to play for another country in addition to the United States, but plays in ECNL and doesn't get called into the U.S.team. Imagine this player then goes and represents another country, loves it, becomes a world class player, and decides to represent that country on the senior team.

"Hey Jane Doe plays for Mexico/Canada/England/Brazil, but grew up in SoCal. Why doesn't she play for USA?"

Imagine a scenario in which a player is eligible to play for another country in addition to the United States, but plays in ECNL and doesn't get called into the U.S.team. Imagine this player then goes and represents another country, loves it, becomes a world class player, and decides to represent that country on the senior team.

"Hey Jane Doe plays for Mexico/Canada/England/Brazil, but grew up in SoCal. Why doesn't she play for USA?"
Example: Alex Alaca who plays in Northern California I think.. doesn’t really fit the American mold being big and physical but the kid is small for his age but has so much skill and can read the field who now has played for the Mexican u-15 team..

Think about that for a second....all ECNL had to do was allow two teams for those clubs. The clubs were willing to come back if they did so. ECNL gave them that offer after the first year of GDA. Everyone that returned after year two GDA got one team only. The way it looks you all will have a league with just Texas and SoCal, and as a result the USYNT will be from SoCal, Earthquake, Tophat, and Texas. In doing so does how does that hold more weight for those selected? I personally think it diminishes their accomplishments.

I also think it tarnishes the reputation of U.S. because everyone else in the world is picking the best AND watching the World Cup shows that the U.S. has a lot of talent playing for different countries.

Next world cup you might see a stud from ECNL playing for another country.....no esta bien :( My dd would never play for another country if given the chance. BTW, does anyone know if Guatemala has a YNT?

Both leagues will operate successfully in the same territories as long as each is offering a different "product". If only one league is offered in an area, then there is no decision to be made---best players to go that league/club. But in geographic areas where both leagues have clubs, ECNL and DA offer different "flavors". So they compete for players, but not really because players who want to play high school, and want more flexibility with their time for other sports/activities/school/vacations, are choosing ECNL (we know several starters at top DA clubs who are making the move to ECNL for this reason). Those players and families with a more narrow or funneled focus on club soccer at 13/14yrs are choosing DA. If your kid has limited interests beyond soccer (not saying they shouldn't), then DA is an easy choice. But if they love soccer AND also enjoy playing the violin and volleyball, and spending time after school with Math Club, then ECNL gives them that option. Not all girls who love soccer want to narrow their career paths to being a soccer player, coach. or physical therapist from their first year of high school. A bit of hyperbole, I admit, but there is some truth to that as the girls in college now all had more flexibility with their high school time than the DA is now requiring.

Good players in both leagues will play at the same colleges. Players from both leagues will eventually get call ups to the senior USWNT. The only thing at this point ECNL players miss out on is a slim chance at making a young national team that gets together a few times a year for training/tournaments. Worth it? Depends on your kids' interests beyond soccer.
You make it seem like ECNL gives you all this time and flexibility.... Like it's some league for kids with other interests? What are you talking about? It requires a similar amount of time/effort as DA, but it also offers HS soccer and doesn't have same rules. I my DD's case, there is not time for other sports, activities and or vacations. Not sure why you made that statement.

National team will take the best players. If they have 20 studs that were ECNL but played for top college programs they will get invited. Then it is up to them to make it. Players always slip through the cracks. Tom Brady pick 199 mike trout 25 th pick it happens a lot. There are players that never made it either that we never heard of. you have to work hard have talent and have some luck on your side.

This thread is making me sick. You have the parent whose kid made the team on one side, a parent of a kid that should have made the team but for geography and a parent whose kid picked a path that is now making them wonder what if.

All this proves is how biased and f's up US Soccer is and that clubs and people in power (control of fields) only care about themselves, their kids and their pocket book. Hell, I've heard that a kid on a very gifted team is not even close to being the best player on their team but made the YNT because their parents are well connected to US Soccer and the coaches.

I am not sure all of the sources of funding US Soccer receives to fund these youth teams; are they potentially exposing themselves to a class action lawsuit, especially from kids that don't live in DA territory?

Everyone's whose kids make the team should be proud of their accomplishments, but it just feels like half the competition in the foot race was cut off at the knees and how can anyone feel happy about that?

This thread is making me sick. You have the parent whose kid made the team on one side, a parent of a kid that should have made the team but for geography and a parent whose kid picked a path that is now making them wonder what if.

All this proves is how biased and f's up US Soccer is and that clubs and people in power (control of fields) only care about themselves, their kids and their pocket book. Hell, I've heard that a kid on a very gifted team is not even close to being the best player on their team but made the YNT because their parents are well connected to US Soccer and the coaches.

I am not sure all of the sources of funding US Soccer receives to fund these youth teams; are they potentially exposing themselves to a class action lawsuit, especially from kids that don't live in DA territory?

Everyone's whose kids make the team should be proud of their accomplishments, but it just feels like half the competition in the foot race was cut off at the knees and how can anyone feel happy about that?
It helps with college too.

What have you been reading? ECNL cut them . ECNL made the choice for them. Last summer weren’t we on here talking about how Surf’ ECNL teams were being sold on the DPL after they were unexpectedly cut? Hell Real Colorado’s Director just had a recent article no less than two months about they would choose ECNL IF they would give them two teams. The concessions were given last summer for those teams that made the switch.

This pissing match only hurts the girls. Who gives a sh*t what league you play in. The NATIONAL team should be just that! The best of the best kinda how Surf Cup used to be. Our DD can’t control their geography or their parents finances. It sucks when you tell your kid to be the best and work hard. Colleges know who the best players are, and that’s what this should all be about. Putting together a national team comprised of the best.

No. FC Dallas, Tophat, Real Colorado, etc. were not cut. They were told you can no longer put your B team in ECNL and to choose one or the other. They chose DA.

Some other clubs that had members on the ECNL board or close ties were able to finagle either two teams or promises of a local monopoly if they chose ECNL.
For a multitude of reasons (like 36 player slots instead of 18, not having to staff year round training, etc.), having two ECNL teams instead of just one DA team has been wildly profitable for clubs like Sting, Hawks, etc.

But let's not pretend that decision doesn't come at an expense. Namely that US Soccer believes those ECNL clubs will be producing players that are less likely to reach their full potential than players training and playing in a DA environment (and thus less likely to be able to contribute at the highest levels of play). US Soccer outright said as much in the article linked above.

No. FC Dallas, Tophat, Real Colorado, etc. were not cut. They were told you can no longer put your B team in ECNL and to choose one or the other. They chose DA.

Some other clubs that had members on the ECNL board or close ties were able to finagle either two teams or promises of a local monopoly if they chose ECNL.
For a multitude of reasons (like 36 player slots instead of 18, not having to staff year round training, etc.), having two ECNL teams instead of just one DA team has been wildly profitable for clubs like Sting, Hawks, etc.

But let's not pretend that decision doesn't come at an expense. Namely that US Soccer believes those ECNL clubs will be producing players that are less likely to reach their full potential than players training and playing in a DA environment (and thus less likely to be able to contribute at the highest levels of play). US Soccer outright said as much in the article linked above.

Idk if I buy "much less likely", but for arguments sake I'll agree. Can we agree that worthy players CAN be produced outside of the system? So what we're discussing is the alleged, intentional passing over of qualified players because by choice or by circumstance do not participate in GDA. IMO, if true, it's a shortsighted strategy.

Respectfully disagree. USSDA loses Surf and a few others then there is no DA. The domino effect would be massive and strategically ECNL could eliminate some of the other DA clubs by not accepting them. Those that are currently free would probably be most at threat

ECNL already lost Surf to DA. ECNL should have gone after Blues, but Blues is now tied to FC Golden State. The affiliation keeps the Blues stable and likely keeps Blues in DA. There are no other targets left for ECNL in SoCal.

You make it seem like ECNL gives you all this time and flexibility.... Like it's some league for kids with other interests? What are you talking about? It requires a similar amount of time/effort as DA, but it also offers HS soccer and doesn't have same rules. I my DD's case, there is not time for other sports, activities and or vacations. Not sure why you made that statement.

There are DA kids playing other sports; some at a very high level.

Idk if I buy "much less likely", but for arguments sake I'll agree. Can we agree that worthy players CAN be produced outside of the system? So what we're discussing is the alleged, intentional passing over of qualified players because by choice or by circumstance do not participate in GDA. IMO, if true, it's a shortsighted strategy.

For sure I agree that it can happen. And to be clear, I am not staying my opinion, but simply what appears to the obvious opinion of US Soccer. They clearly believe that they have found that boys players who are most capable of reaching their fullest potential and are most able to compete at an international level are almost exclusively at developed in a DA environment (or at an international youth academy).

They believe the same will be true eventually with the girls.

As for my own opinion, I happen to probably agree that girls who train and play in a DA environment year round will better reach their fullest potential than those that don't. (Just like it has been proven true with the boys.) I think that will become apparent in which girls ultimately are able to be most impactful bot which both college and at an international level. (Just like had been proven with the boys) However, I also think the sacrifice to play within those DA restrictions are generally not worth it. The professional payoff that exists for men but generally not women isn't worth the opportunity cost of giving up playing high school or other sports for the vast, vast majority of girls.

For sure I agree that it can happen. And to be clear, I am not staying my opinion, but simply what appears to the obvious opinion of US Soccer. They clearly believe that they have found that boys players who are most capable of reaching their fullest potential and are most able to compete at an international level are almost exclusively at developed in a DA environment (or at an international youth academy).

They believe the same will be true eventually with the girls.

As for my own opinion, I happen to probably agree that girls who train and play in a DA environment year round will better reach their fullest potential than those that don't. (Just like it has been proven true with the boys.) I think that will become apparent in which girls ultimately are able to be most impactful bot which both college and at an international level. (Just like had been proven with the boys) However, I also think the sacrifice to play within those DA restrictions are generally not worth it. The professional payoff that exists for men but generally not women isn't worth the opportunity cost of giving up playing high school or other sports for the vast, vast majority of girls.
Spot on. The main difference is men can earn a good living in this country and especially many others. Women find it very very difficult. If you're not part of the full national team, you're making peanuts basically. Until that changes, it's harder for GDA to say my way or the highway. Unfortunately, I'm not sure clubs in the states will ever make enough money to pay the woman real money. Until then, we can all keep arguing about DA and ECNL :)

Back