Great Park

The land was turned over to the state/county from federal government as a part of base closure act. Five Points (FP) is a special LLC formed by Lennar to develop large scale projects using private-public partnership. Lennar has others, like the project to develop Candlestick Point in SF using a similar subsidiary organzation.

When I was at the Irivne City Council meeting few years ago when they took up a vote to allow Five Points to develop the land around old El Toro MC Base. (The arrangement as you've described that FP pays for the park in exchange for being able to develop the surrounding communities in Irvine.)

The OCGP does not have all the restrictions of Irvine parks in that there is no requirement for certain percentage of Irvine residents, in order to gain access. You just have to be OC resident, as the park actually belongs to the county and not the city. It is maintained by the city under the county contract, I'v been told.

Since OCGP is a showcase place for county and they view it, much like how Grand Park is viewed in Westfield IN, its highly unlikely that the park will get run down or won't be maintained. In fact, if you look at the existing old fields (used to be 1~4, but now 11~14), they are in great shape most of the year. Those fields have been open for several years under the free parking.

So when you say "top facilities", where do you mean? Are you comparing to the Grand Park or Disney/ESPN? I've been to both and the grass is nicer at OCGP. Turf comes and goes depending on the usage but its the replacement cycle that one cares about. I cannot think of any facility in SoCal that's better, when you think of the entire venue.

Last, I am not an Irvine resident or City Council meeting troll. The club my older kid played for at the time, the head of the club's brother is/was the lead lawyer for FP that negotiated the deal. The club had a big to do event for support passing of the phase that we're now enjoying.

Based on this article, it appears the City of Irvine and not the County of Orange is responsible for maintaining the Park: http://www.ocregister.com/2017/08/0...s-park-which-is-twice-the-size-of-disneyland/

Regardless, we have seen this type of project (albeit on a smaller scale) time and time again. So here is what I believe based on experience with developments.

The developer comes in and builds the thing and maintains the park/facility until the developer has built out the last of the homes and vacates. At which time the City/County/HOA takes over. The new party taking over is given this beautiful thing. A year or two passes and the City/County (in this case) looks at its budget and says ... whooaaaa. Why are we aerating and verti-cutting the fields every month? The field manager says "Great question, you see, the developer installed these fields and the lay out of the lights prevents us from moving the fields so we need to aerate the Referee areas, the center, the boxes, etc.; we also need to top dress the fields and sod the heavily damaged areas (boxes and center areas)" The City/County says "Ok, but our budget is $2m for a field crew, equipment, sand, fertilizer, etc." The field manager says ... but, but, but ... I need $2m just for remediation work this year to repair the damage due to use, plus my normal budget of $750k for my 6 person crew, equipment, etc.. The finance guy at the County say ... not my problem, you have $2m, make it work.

Before you know it ... the fields are looking a little neglected. Fields get shut down to rest, because the City/County budget doesn't allocate enough.

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer here, just pointing out that in the State of California, there isn't a single County/City park project that is able to maintain quality fields. The Great Park is a great thing, and fills a need in OC, but the pessimist in me doesn't think it will sustain itself once the City steps in to maintain.

With regard to your other question, when I refer to top facilities, I'm referring to the privately run facilities (Silverlakes, Polo Fields, and Galway Downs). None of these appear to have the total amenities as Great Park, but all of these facilities will likely put 2x more money into maintaining field quality than a City/County run park. That said, its speculation on my part ... time will tell.

Based on this article, it appears the City of Irvine and not the County of Orange is responsible for maintaining the Park: http://www.ocregister.com/2017/08/0...s-park-which-is-twice-the-size-of-disneyland/

Regardless, we have seen this type of project (albeit on a smaller scale) time and time again. So here is what I believe based on experience with developments.

The developer comes in and builds the thing and maintains the park/facility until the developer has built out the last of the homes and vacates. At which time the City/County/HOA takes over. The new party taking over is given this beautiful thing. A year or two passes and the City/County (in this case) looks at its budget and says ... whooaaaa. Why are we aerating and verti-cutting the fields every month? The field manager says "Great question, you see, the developer installed these fields and the lay out of the lights prevents us from moving the fields so we need to aerate the Referee areas, the center, the boxes, etc.; we also need to top dress the fields and sod the heavily damaged areas (boxes and center areas)" The City/County says "Ok, but our budget is $2m for a field crew, equipment, sand, fertilizer, etc." The field manager says ... but, but, but ... I need $2m just for remediation work this year to repair the damage due to use, plus my normal budget of $750k for my 6 person crew, equipment, etc.. The finance guy at the County say ... not my problem, you have $2m, make it work.

Before you know it ... the fields are looking a little neglected. Fields get shut down to rest, because the City/County budget doesn't allocate enough.

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer here, just pointing out that in the State of California, there isn't a single County/City park project that is able to maintain quality fields. The Great Park is a great thing, and fills a need in OC, but the pessimist in me doesn't think it will sustain itself once the City steps in to maintain.

With regard to your other question, when I refer to top facilities, I'm referring to the privately run facilities (Silverlakes, Polo Fields, and Galway Downs). None of these appear to have the total amenities as Great Park, but all of these facilities will likely put 2x more money into maintaining field quality than a City/County run park. That said, its speculation on my part ... time will tell.

Are you referring to Lake Forest Sports Park?
Those grass fields were nice for a season but are horrible now (at least they were a few months ago. Haven't been there lately).

So far, it seems, the sports facilities are being built up more or less as proposed. Some may remember the City of Oceanside published plans for El Corazon to compare with the actual result on the ground, or may remember when the Del Mar Polo Grounds were only used for polo.

.........when I refer to top facilities, I'm referring to the privately run facilities (Silverlakes, Polo Fields, and Galway Downs). None of these appear to have the total amenities as Great Park, but all of these facilities will likely put 2x more money into maintaining field quality than a City/County run park. That said, its speculation on my part ... time will tell.

Those fields are NOT top facilities by any definition. Silverlakes come close but its very incomplete and limited scope. The restaurant is a great idea since getting in and out of there is a nightmare. Hot/cold and windy with little to no accommodation for shade other than central tented area. Some of the parking is still dirt.

As for Polo fields, well, my older kid plays there, and practices 1 day/wk so I know quite a bit about it. No lights for soccer (there are for polo towards the back of the fields), dirt access road is so bad that it will shake the fillings loose and the car is aways covered in dust or mud. Did I mention the disgusting portapotty that hardly ever get cleaned? How is this a top facility? Don't even start on getting in and out of there. Now that a new 30yr lease was signed, maybe there will be a tenant improvement? I know, its funny, right....

Galaways is much worse than Birdsall nearby. We had the unfortunate experience of having to play National Cup there. The only thing that makes Galaway better than Lancaster is its not as far. That's it. Again, unimproved single dirt parking @ $10 - wtf!

The fact that these are privately run does not make it better. While your point about the public funding ultimately controlling the outcome of OCGP or any public park is a valid point, but to assume the demise already is premature and invalid.

But everyone is entitled to their own bias and clearly you and I disagree on this - fine. I'm just happy that at least our younger kid gets to take advantage of the currently great facility. By the time it runs down, if it does, our kids will be long gone from there and running their own lives.

Those fields are NOT top facilities by any definition. Silverlakes come close but its very incomplete and limited scope. The restaurant is a great idea since getting in and out of there is a nightmare. Hot/cold and windy with little to no accommodation for shade other than central tented area. Some of the parking is still dirt.

As for Polo fields, well, my older kid plays there, and practices 1 day/wk so I know quite a bit about it. No lights for soccer (there are for polo towards the back of the fields), dirt access road is so bad that it will shake the fillings loose and the car is aways covered in dust or mud. Did I mention the disgusting portapotty that hardly ever get cleaned? How is this a top facility? Don't even start on getting in and out of there. Now that a new 30yr lease was signed, maybe there will be a tenant improvement? I know, its funny, right....

Galaways is much worse than Birdsall nearby. We had the unfortunate experience of having to play National Cup there. The only thing that makes Galaway better than Lancaster is its not as far. That's it. Again, unimproved single dirt parking @ $10 - wtf!

The fact that these are privately run does not make it better. While your point about the public funding ultimately controlling the outcome of OCGP or any public park is a valid point, but to assume the demise already is premature and invalid.

But everyone is entitled to their own bias and clearly you and I disagree on this - fine. I'm just happy that at least our younger kid gets to take advantage of the currently great facility. By the time it runs down, if it does, our kids will be long gone from there and running their own lives.

Ahhh, I see where we are not on the same page. For me its the grass, grass, grass. Dirt roads, parking, restaurant, etc. are so far down on my list that its almost inconsequential (to me). Its important to you. I get it.

Who is the snake oil salesman telling us that Galaway is a first class facility? He either works there or is a stakeholder. There are literally hundreds of city parks that are much better than that place. Sure, it has multiple fields but the place is not only a dump, but inconvenient to get to, unless of course, like the previous poster mentioned, it comes down to Galaway or Lancaster. More dining options in Temecula.

One can see that the owners are attempting to convert it into a nicer facility but they have a long way to go and I am not sure that they know what they are doing organizationally. Even the restaurant sucks.

Ahhh, I see where we are not on the same page. For me its the grass, grass, grass. Dirt roads, parking, restaurant, etc. are so far down on my list that its almost inconsequential (to me). Its important to you. I get it.
You did say top facilities, not top grass.

Still, the grass at OCGP is better than three you've mentioned. Have you been? Especially the new fields?

Most of the field in Irvine (not Great Park. The city) are the best grass around town. But if there is a hint of precipitation, they are shut down.
Aside from being sensitive to rain, does anyone know if Irvine does anything else special for their fields? Do they limit practice time to a lower number of teams? Rotate fields often? Close them for standard maintenance during the season? Use a special blend of grass? Do something special with watering?

Our local fields are great for about 2 weeks of each season. But after being practiced on 5 days a week from 4pm-8pm by 3-5 teams at a time, they get destroyed. Especially in the goal area. I think we also have incompetent maintenance people. I've walked onto a field for an 8am game and the fields are soaked from being over watered. I've also seen a maintenance truck drive over the saturated field leaving a nice rut for several weeks.

I don't know the full scheme on field management at OCGP - but when I was there last week for my kids practices one of the newer fields was signed as closed in the evening. It was being used by PATs practice the week earlier. My assumption was that it was closed for rotation. I can say on the nights I am there not every bit of field space is being used. I hope it is an active field management policy.

I must say - the new grass field are very nice right now.

The other thing that is going to be really interesting is when girls start the tryout circuit again. There will be no hiding in OC! From what I have seen it is Slammers, Pats, Blues, WCFC, Strikers all within a few fields of each other (and I am sure I missed some). With all the DA, DPL, ECNL noise we know there will be continued shifts this next season. The parent, player, and coach tension will be high!

The other thing that is going to be really interesting is when girls start the tryout circuit again. There will be no hiding in OC! From what I have seen it is Slammers, Pats, Blues, WCFC, Strikers all within a few fields of each other (and I am sure I missed some). With all the DA, DPL, ECNL noise we know there will be continued shifts this next season. The parent, player, and coach tension will be high!
Nah. You'll see kids and parents in disguise. Lots of soccer moms walking around with hats and fake mustaches!!!

so the old fields are 08 - 20 right. just to orient myself . The facility looks large and well set up. It also looks like the area is mixed use with some space not defined on the map ( the reality may be different) . I think we went to farmer's market in N2 once after a game. So with so much going on and so many entry and exit points it seems traffic control would be a challenge. if a toll booth were set up. As they say "if there is a will, there's a way", but lets hope that with the current set up paid parking will be too much of a logistical problem. we can dream right. by the time we play there hope the turf is still in

At silver lakes you forgot to mention the BEER they serve beer inside (under the tent) and outside ( Bar , trailer thing) . I not sure if this is brilliant or stupid. But if anyone wants to sit down and discuss lets to it over a cold one. Just hold your cup so it doesn't blow it over.

At silver lakes you forgot to mention the BEER they serve beer inside (under the tent) and outside ( Bar , trailer thing) . I not sure if this is brilliant or stupid. But if anyone wants to sit down and discuss lets to it over a cold one. Just hold your cup so it doesn't blow it over.
I thought the sand bags took care of that?

At least those weights inside portapotties holding them from tumbling over :rolleyes:

The City of Irvine does a really good job, IMO, of maintaining very high quality soccer fields.

As a comparison, some of the soccer fields in Irvine are maintained by the school district and not the city-- these, in general, are in poor shape.

Not sure how/why, but the Irvine City maintenance does a really strong job. Hopefully, they keep the Great Park fields up to the standard of the rest of the city parks.

Back