Great insight into great reffing.

Gimpyhip

BRONZE
This is fantastic. Great job by Oliver, great teamwork and it shows the value of communication in keeping the players understanding the situation.

I’ve always wanted to hear professionals reasoning. I would like to see (hear) this more often but after the fact or during stoppages.

Cool video. Just shows that officiating is not as easy as most people think. It sure would be nice in the youth games if refs had communication devices and VAR.

Cool video. Just shows that officiating is not as easy as most people think. It sure would be nice in the youth games if refs had communication devices and VAR.
This is one reason I absolutely hate the 2 whistle. With the 2 whistle you're virtually reduced to a robot. I like to self talk as I see things develop. "#4 is cutting into the inside, defenders flat footed, tactical foul? Tactical foul? Lucky, but now DOGSO? #2 on goal line, now who's behind me? 3 fowards, 2 defenders, Defender fouled. Counter attack? Yes, play on. No? Whistle. Etc., etc."

Impossible with 2 whistles.

This is one reason I absolutely hate the 2 whistle. With the 2 whistle you're virtually reduced to a robot. I like to self talk as I see things develop. "#4 is cutting into the inside, defenders flat footed, tactical foul? Tactical foul? Lucky, but now DOGSO? #2 on goal line, now who's behind me? 3 fowards, 2 defenders, Defender fouled. Counter attack? Yes, play on. No? Whistle. Etc., etc."

Impossible with 2 whistles.

It all depends on the partner. I work with some good ones and some not so good ones. I am sure some like working with me and some don’t. As long as both refs are patient and look at their partner often there normally isn’t disagreements about calls or no calls.

It all depends on the partner. I work with some good ones and some not so good ones. I am sure some like working with me and some don’t. As long as both refs are patient and look at their partner often there normally isn’t disagreements about calls or no calls.
I agree. I just don't want to be on the field to wait for fouls and blow the whistle, so I don't do it. In the unlikely event that a referee fails to show up in a NCAA game I have to bite my tongue and do it but that's the only time I will.

Back