Goalie looking to guest play

Goalie1310

SILVER
Hello,

Please contact me at goalie1310@yahoo.com if you are in need of a keeper. You can also check out short videos and pictures on Instagram @ soccerkeeper1310.

Thank you

I am posting here due to the title of the thread "Goalie looking to guest play." Not trying to steal any opportunities from Goalie1310; my daughter is also a goalkeeper and looking to guest play when she can. Her first priority is her current team, but we are always looking to fill in an open weekend. If interested please send me a note. Thanks.

It would probably help people if they knew what area you were in.
Also, I didn't think players could guest play for another club during league? I thought it was just for tournaments?

My apologies for not being clear. We are looking for tournaments after league play ends. We live in Carlsbad, but we are willing to travel a reasonable distance for the right opportunity. My daughter is an '05 and on her club's 2nd team.

If looking for opportunities during league, also look into playing on other teams within the club on the off day those weekends. In the past my DD has played for her team on a Saturday, and played for the another team within the club on a Sunday. Teams within the same age group or playing up as well.

I know the Legends team in Chino Hills needed a keeper.

I coach a AYSO core team to give my DD some field play since she plays keeper on her club team now. Being only 10, who knows what position she might want to play when she is 12-13. I've set up some scrimmages with the Extra teams as well. Her club coach also gets her time at forward in practice. Trying to keep her well rounded right now.

For those that have guest played, do you find the team you guest play with willing to play back to the keeper? Parent reception to your kid when they do play, positive even when mistakes are made?

I know the Legends team in Chino Hills needed a keeper.

I coach a AYSO core team to give my DD some field play since she plays keeper on her club team now. Being only 10, who knows what position she might want to play when she is 12-13. I've set up some scrimmages with the Extra teams as well. Her club coach also gets her time at forward in practice. Trying to keep her well rounded right now.

For those that have guest played, do you find the team you guest play with willing to play back to the keeper? Parent reception to your kid when they do play, positive even when mistakes are made?

Thanks for the heads up on the Legends team but my daughter is committed to her current team for league play & through State/National Cup. She has never gone to State/National Cup with the team that she played with in league and wants to break that streak (that is a whole other story that is too long to repeat here, but I will say that she has played up (level or age), it has always been with the same club, and it has always been at the club's request).

As for your questions regarding guest playing, I can tell you that my daughter has always had good experiences. She has guested within her club and with other clubs as well. They will play back to her if they feel comfortable with your daughter. The parents have all been very supportive & grateful that they had a full time keeper to play for them. When possible we try to have her work with the team she will be guesting on before the games so they can bond and get comfortable with each other. Plus the coach then gets a chance to meet & evaluate my daughter. Good luck to you and your daughter.

My buddy @ladoctorr has a running joke regarding the number of teams my GK DD has guested for, but let's just say it's a lot.

Most teams she's guest played for aren't real big on playing it back to the keeper. A lot of factors come into play for this including youth and inexperience, big games at big tournaments where style points are thrown out the window, etc.

Typically our family has found the parents to be positive because if my DD is guesting in goal, that means they wouldn't have had a dedicated GK to play in goal that weekend to begin with. They're usually very grateful and go out of their way to make my DD feel positive that weekend.

My DD has been very fortunate to not have laid an egg for as much as she guested, but on one occasion a few years ago at Surf Thanksgiving she parried a ball away on a cross and it ended up being slotted in by a player trailing on the backside of the play. It was a partial mistake that cost the team points in group play and the following day the team needed a win against then unbeaten Surf to advance from group play. The play stuck with her all day prior to the next day, and credit to Coach Kelly at Eagles who she was guesting with, because he got her mind off the play real quick and let her play outside forward. He let her know he wanted to give her some field time and to just go out there and have fun. This was at a point when she was still playing some field time with her own team and she was an above average forward. She scored the only goal in the win and it did a ton for her confidence as this was an early guesting experience for her. But the main point was that the parents were supportive after the mistake and never stopped being supportive. Great group of Eagle parents that weekend. Still keep in touch with them to this day.

Guesting for a keeper is tough because it usually means you're there to cover a huge need for that game or tournament. Especially at the youngers, it can mean the difference between winning and losing but when the support from the coach and parents is there, the kid can come out feeling like a winner regardless of the result on the scoresheet.

Thanks to both of you for the info. Too busy right now to even think of guest playing, but good to know you both have had good experiences.

My daughter has been enjoying playing keeper to a much greater degree the last few weeks because the coach pushes hard for the defense to play back to the keeper when they have a man on(girl on) and their back is to the play. Thus she has been a lot more involved in the game, and she is a pretty good passer on long range passes. Also working on her being more vocal to push the defense up as well as giving them some guidance. I can't imagine doing any of that when I was 10. Kids today just seem so much more advanced then when I was in the 6th grade.

2005 girls FT keeper looking to guest play in a tournament the weekend of the 10/11 of December. She presently has the weekend free. If you are interested in her guest playing for you, please send me a message.

Could a GK play in two different tournaments on the same weekend if the schedule permits in an effort to help both teams? Does CalSouth allow it or even care? The way I see it..it's not even close to the same workload a field player would have playing maybe 4-5 games for the weekend. (Although some tournament formats you do end up playing that many if you were to advance to Finals)

We tried to have my daughter plays in 2 tournaments this summer over the same weekend; the answer was no, CalSouth does not allow it. While I agree with your reasoning, when we inquired to our club about the possibility, they confirmed it wasn't an option. I don't remember where it states this in the rule book, but it states it.

Could a GK play in two different tournaments on the same weekend if the schedule permits in an effort to help both teams? Does CalSouth allow it or even care? The way I see it..it's not even close to the same workload a field player would have playing maybe 4-5 games for the weekend. (Although some tournament formats you do end up playing that many if you were to advance to Finals)

Maybe not the same workload, but I think you may underestimate what a keeper goes through in a game. Depending on how busy they are, they can get pretty beat up.
Not just by getting run into or diving.
If your team has your keeper punt and they are trying to boom it with every save, that takes a toll on the legs. Same with taking goal kicks. If your team doesn't try to play it short, taking a run at a ball and trying to fly it to midfield can be a little taxing. Mostly because they stand around for long period of time and then try to pound a ball with legs that aren't as warmed up as a field player.
And depending on the weather and what type of gear they wear, they can bake in the hot sun without a lot of movement. Trying standing on a turn field in long pants and long sleeves for 6 hours in a weekend. While wearing gloves.

Back