GKs in ODP

There can be more than 2 GK's selected for the initial ODP list. However, I don't think they travel with more than 2 GK's to the regional events.

My daughter is an 03 keeper. I believe that there were 5-6 keepers at each tryout. 2 were selected to travel. Most years, the keepers share the goal 50/50, but each coach is different. If your DD is selected, be sure to ask if there is a primary and secondary keeper or if they will share 50/50. Either way, my DD had a great experience playing with some very talented peers. She made the list this year, but will be playing DA and not eligible to participate. The only bummer was that the keepers did not get to keep their jerseys after the games in Phoenix where as all of the field players kept two full kits.

If your DD is selected, be sure to ask if there is a primary and secondary keeper or if they will share 50/50.

Why would you ask the coach that? Why not see how it shakes out? What if you were the "secondary" keeper? Would you then refuse the spot?

Why would you ask the coach that? Why not see how it shakes out? What if you were the "secondary" keeper? Would you then refuse the spot?
I think that it would be more about communication/understanding your role and understanding expectations. My DD thought that she would be sharing the goal in a 50/50 situation as she had experienced the prior year and was actually the case for most if not all other CalSouth teams. It wasn't a huge deal, she/we were just a bit confused as the coach never mentioned anything. My DD spoke to the coach after the first game and he explained that he forgot to talk to the keepers about his plan before the trip. Both my DD and the other keeper are very good, so not taking anything away from the other keepers abilities. We would not have turned down the opportunity, but also may not have invited as many family members to make the trip. Again, she still had a great experience and would do it again if she could. This team was stacked with talent and they were a lot of fun to watch.

Back