GK Gloves

Completely forgot about that smell. Yuck. Almost as bad as the cleats that get wedged underneath your seat and smell up the car while it sits out in the sun.
Growing up we had Guava trees. My dad is notorious for lugging fruit around with him. When I use to borrow the car in college, there was a 99% chance one or two guavas were marinating under on of the front seats. If you ever want people not to ask for rides, put a couple sun-ripened guavas in your car. Id still take that odor over my kid's gloves.

There are a lot of good comments on this post. Gloves are personal and there is no right or wrong. Personally I love finger savers but I have many keepers who do not like them. That’s ok. Same with brand. Once you know you glove size you can buy almost any brand online. It really is up to the keeper and the person paying for them. :). Regarding cleaning, any dish soap is fine. Have your keeper put them on and wash their hands with warm soapy water. Rinse thoroughly and let air dry till slightly moist, don’t let them dry out. Then store in a quality glove bag. Glove bags are very important. Don’t store gloves in the same manner as the rest of your kit.

There are a lot of good comments on this post. Gloves are personal and there is no right or wrong. Personally I love finger savers but I have many keepers who do not like them. That’s ok. Same with brand. Once you know you glove size you can buy almost any brand online. It really is up to the keeper and the person paying for them. :). Regarding cleaning, any dish soap is fine. Have your keeper put them on and wash their hands with warm soapy water. Rinse thoroughly and let air dry till slightly moist, don’t let them dry out. Then store in a quality glove bag. Glove bags are very important. Don’t store gloves in the same manner as the rest of your kit.
Two questions.
1) Are you saying to have my kid wear the gloves and wash their hands to get the dirt out? Wouldn't that be rubbing more dirt/the gloves together thus creating wear on the palms from the dirt/friction? I fill the sink up with enough warm soapy water to submerge the gloves. I then drizzle some soap along each finger and the palm and pinch/knead the dirt out. Wash the backs and wrist wraps using just the soapy water since those are easy to clean. Pick the grass and turf blades out of the velcro. Rinse them with warm water. SQUEEZE..don't twist/wring the water out. That creates undo stress on the latex and leads to premature wear too. Stuff them with paper towels to soak up the moisture. After a few hours I take the paper towels out and let them air dry. Hook them back to the carabiner on her bag and she's good to go.
2) Are you saying to store them damp in a glove bag? Wouldn't that promote bacteria and mold to grow since you are storing a damp glove that is no longer a brand new nice and clean glove in a closed bag?
She has the glove bag but rarely uses it. Only gets her game gloves out of her soccer storage gear rack in her closet as needed. Otherwise her practice gloves are always hooked to the outside of her bag.
I ask this since you're a coach and possibly have more insight and experience on something I'm not seeing. Thanks!!

Side note: To all those talking about the horrific smell from GK gloves..I usually wash them every 3-5 uses depending how dirty they look. The dirtier the glove the faster it wears. Smelly gloves are something I know nothing about!!:eek: Haha lol

Two questions.
1) Are you saying to have my kid wear the gloves and wash their hands to get the dirt out? Wouldn't that be rubbing more dirt/the gloves together thus creating wear on the palms from the dirt/friction? I fill the sink up with enough warm soapy water to submerge the gloves. I then drizzle some soap along each finger and the palm and pinch/knead the dirt out. Wash the backs and wrist wraps using just the soapy water since those are easy to clean. Pick the grass and turf blades out of the velcro. Rinse them with warm water. SQUEEZE..don't twist/wring the water out. That creates undo stress on the latex and leads to premature wear too. Stuff them with paper towels to soak up the moisture. After a few hours I take the paper towels out and let them air dry. Hook them back to the carabiner on her bag and she's good to go.
2) Are you saying to store them damp in a glove bag? Wouldn't that promote bacteria and mold to grow since you are storing a damp glove that is no longer a brand new nice and clean glove in a closed bag?
She has the glove bag but rarely uses it. Only gets her game gloves out of her soccer storage gear rack in her closet as needed. Otherwise her practice gloves are always hooked to the outside of her bag.
I ask this since you're a coach and possibly have more insight and experience on something I'm not seeing. Thanks!!

Side note: To all those talking about the horrific smell from GK gloves..I usually wash them every 3-5 uses depending how dirty they look. The dirtier the glove the faster it wears. Smelly gloves are something I know nothing about!!:eek: Haha lol
Great questions pew pew.
1) I am saying wash your gloves while wearing them. HOWEVER, do not rub so hard you are damaging the latex. You are loosening the dirt not smashing it in. Also the method you are using seems to be working great for you so I’d keep doing it. I’m offering a method that works for me.
2)a quality glove bag is not a zip lock bag. It will allow the gloves to continue to dry over time. Think of your kitchen sponge and what happenes when it dries out. Gloves should not dry out it will damage the latex. HOWEVER, you do make a good point about mold and bacteria. With regular use and cleaning that won’t happen. And even during a break (a week or two) I notice gloves finally drying out in a glove bag before growing mold. In my 127 years as a keeper I’ve never had mold grow. That smell? That is bacteria....

If it can get rid of the smell of gas and oil from working in the garage, goalie stink "should" be no problem.
Technician72 I have to kneel down and kiss your feet should we ever meet because the horrendous smell driving home from practice no longer exists. You are royalty in my book!

Technician72 I have to kneel down and kiss your feet should we ever meet because the horrendous smell driving home from practice no longer exists. You are royalty in my book!
Glad it worked for you, I literally tried everything. As long as the gloves stay in their own bag and that bag is in the trunk, the ride home is now enjoyable.

Glad it worked for you, I literally tried everything. As long as the gloves stay in their own bag and that bag is in the trunk, the ride home is now enjoyable.
Not possible. From the smell of my daughter, to her shoes, to one of her teammates in the back with her, the glove smell is way down the list. ;)

For those of you that use WC gloves, is there a particular style your kids have like? I wanted to order some for my daughter, but the selection is vast to say the least. She wants finger savers still.

For those of you that use WC gloves, is there a particular style your kids have like? I wanted to order some for my daughter, but the selection is vast to say the least. She wants finger savers still.
I always try them on at Soccer Wearhouse in Corona, Eastvale or Temecula. Not sure how close they are to you...
And to actually answer, my son has wide hands and prefers the Spider line or the Freedom ones.

I always try them on at Soccer Wearhouse in Corona, Eastvale or Temecula. Not sure how close they are to you...
And to actually answer, my son has wide hands and prefers the Spider line or the Freedom ones.

Damn, I was in Norco yesterday, but we were so over being there after a long weekend we didn't go over there. I didn't realize they carried them in store.

My son likes the Bio-Hybrid cut gloves and he removes the finger-saves.

Thanks all! WC had amazing CS. I emailed them Monday with questions, and they got back to me with great suggestions. Her new gloves already are getting here today

Don’t laugh but my 05 daughter loves the adidas fingersave jr gloves. She doesn’t like change, and feels these gloves give her the best feel for the ball. She has tried a few but many are too bulky. She plays basketball and her hands and touch mean a lot to her. The problem is she is up to their largest size a #8. They don’t hold up that long sadly.
Updates on her gloves. She dumped finger save gloves for Adidas Predator Pros. Been using for about 6 months. Now she has switched to the Reusch Pure Contact II gloves now. She likes the least amount of padding and enjoys the feel of the ball in her hands. Will use the first time this weekend. Need to use some of these cleaning tips as well.

Reactions: AGK
Updates on her gloves. She dumped finger save gloves for Adidas Predator Pros. Been using for about 6 months. Now she has switched to the Reusch Pure Contact II gloves now. She likes the least amount of padding and enjoys the feel of the ball in her hands. Will use the first time this weekend. Need to use some of these cleaning tips as well.

My GK has always been a Westcoast gloves afficionado. Last weekend she needed new gloves ASAP before 2 big games (of course we were traveling and needed to find a soccer store on the road). Ended up with her new 'fav' gloves - Reusch Fit Control Pro AX2 Evolution Aqua. She loves gloves that fit like her hand - negative cut, no finger saves, flexible, sticky and excellent quality latex. Seems like the trend in gloves for older GKs are a slimmer profile and more hand-like. Wish they were at the same price point as WCG (they are almost double) but that's how it goes I guess. I hope Nike comes out with a similar style since that is what she will get in college :) I'm really looking forward to not having to buy gloves!

Back