Gk - acl recovery

momofgk

BRONZE
My daughter tore her acl in January playing basketball, surgery end of feb. anyone else have a gk with acl surgery? Just wondering on recovery time. Dr says most the gk movements are the last to recover, lateral, explosive, jumping, etc. PT is more aggressive and optimistic.

Recovery and to play again will be minimum a year hopefully. that's just to play again but depending on strength, speed and durability takes a few more months to get back into actual shape. very aggressive PT is a must and I suggest purchasing a (Marc Pro) to use every day before bed. It helps with healing quicker.

We guested a few times this past year with a team from SD for a few tournaments.
Their G03 injured her ACL last July. They told her 1 year to recover properly. Last time we played with them was in May for ManCity Cup and she was still going thru rehab. I’ve heard people also mention about making sure to work both legs out during rehab because sometimes the injured leg comes back stronger than the un-injured leg. Best of luck to your GK on her road to recovery!!

My 03 DD tore her ACL in Jan 2017 playing BBall as well. She was not diagnosed with ACL but a strained knee. Took 4 weeks off then went back to training. We were not aware of the severity of her injury until Mar 2017 as her knee gave out while she was warming up for her keeper training. She planted with her right leg and immediately fell in massive pain.
Surgery occurred in May 2018 with the a timeline of 9-12 months. Her rehab started at pre-op and days after post-op (twice a week). Baby step process but she was determined and I admired her grittiness.
At 8 weeks, she decided to tryout for her school’s Color Guard and made it (knee brace and all). She was happy as she found an escape activity. We visited her doc for her 12 week checkin. She was on track then I showed him her Color Guard routine. Doc was impressed but gave her the RED LIGHT to stop. Her knee is not at full strength and can easily re-injure it. Needless, my DD was pissed at me but explained to her the BIG picture. Get healthy and get medically released.
At 6 months, Dec 2017 she has gained full motion but her knee was not at full strength. Doc told my DD to keep rehab for another 12 weeks and agreed.
At 9 months, Mar. 2018 she passed and at full strength.’Doc medically released for sports.
She returned to her club and began a slow process training with several teams. She filled in playing between 03 & 01 teams. It was a process from April till Aug 2018 until the new season began.
For the 2018/19 season she made an 02 team playing up & sharing keeper duty, playing 1/3 of the game. We were fine with playing time since we knew it’s a process. She wore her knee brace up until Oct 2018 when her team played in Az’s triple digit temp. Her team had a very successful campaign.
She played HS soccer, making the varsity squad and they advanced into 2nd round of CIF. Fast forward to the new season, she on an ECNL Team.

My advice, trust the process. A 9-12 months time table will go by fast. Once medically released, your DD will need to acclimate herself on the pitch. It will take both physical & mental aspect especially as a keeper. Apology for this long message and hope this can shed some light.

Back