Girls DPL?

No, there is not.

I'm not claiming that clubs are following the rule, but it does appear to be a requirement.

From the DA application: "Development Academy clubs will be required to field teams that consist of the top players
from the club's entire player pool. Clubs have the flexibility to register any age combination of players across all 3 age groups, provided they do not exceed 69 full-time players"

https://ussoccer.app.box.com/v/girlsacademyapplication

They may be guctaranteed entry into the tournaments but not that coaches will show up to watch your games. Don't count on any coaches if you are not in a top flight.
Hello Fact, your statement is simply not true. There are many many many ways to be seen by college coaches. My family has been through this and I have seen how it works with my own eyes. When my kids started started this process I was intimidated by blowhard statements like yours which are misleading to the point of being flagrantly irresponsible.

My DD has played in the top brackets in Surf Cup and Davis Cup and Jefferson Cup and she has played in lower brackets in Vegas and even at Nomads. Colleges come to all of these tournaments if the kids write to the coaches and can demonstrate that they are worth seeing. Also, some D1 schools skip the best brackets to find players who are not yet committed. These are not the Top D1 schools but they offer the kids D1 experience nonetheless. Then there are the D3 schools which have some of the best students in the country. They go to where the student athletes are and they don't care about the bracket.

Hello Fact, your statement is simply not true. There are many many many ways to be seen by college coaches. My family has been through this and I have seen how it works with my own eyes. When my kids started started this process I was intimidated by blowhard statements like yours which are misleading to the point of being flagrantly irresponsible.

My DD has played in the top brackets in Surf Cup and Davis Cup and Jefferson Cup and she has played in lower brackets in Vegas and even at Nomads. Colleges come to all of these tournaments if the kids write to the coaches and can demonstrate that they are worth seeing. Also, some D1 schools skip the best brackets to find players who are not yet committed. These are not the Top D1 schools but they offer the kids D1 experience nonetheless. Then there are the D3 schools which have some of the best students in the country. They go to where the student athletes are and they don't care about the bracket.
My point is that just because they are in a tournament does not guarantee that the coaches will watch their team. They have to have quality players that initiate contact. If their team sucks no coaches are going to watch unless they have heard about a player. If you read earlier responses from this poster they think that just because they are on DPL, that they will get looks. Simply not true.

They may be guaranteed entry into the tournaments but not that coaches will show up to watch your games. Don't count on any coaches if you are not in a top flight.

The previous team we were on (different club and that team fell apart this year) was not in the top flight of several showcases we attended and though we did not have the same number of coaches on the sidelines we still had an impressive turnout. Though being in the top flight is great, you wrong if you think coaches don't attend other games too.

My point is that just because they are in a tournament does not guarantee that the coaches will watch their team. They have to have quality players that initiate contact. If their team sucks no coaches are going to watch unless they have heard about a player. If you read earlier responses from this poster they think that just because they are on DPL, that they will get looks. Simply not true.

And if you are referring to me, get your "Facts" straight. No where have I said just because a team is DPL they will get looks. I said DPL teams are guaranteed entry to several showcases. The teams still need to have girls worth being seen and they need to do all of the contact work.

You guys just said the same thing.

It's funny how parents of kids not in DA or DPL are the ones that are always posting negative comments here. This is exactly what happened here back when SCSDL was formed. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but ultimately if the parent's and kids in DA and DPL are happy with their leagues that is all that matters.

I think what people are posting here are their own personal experiences with DPL. Some are positive, like yours, and others are negative. I agree with you that if it's the right fit for you, then so be it. However, I think the problem people are having is that you seem to imply that DPL is a superior league. See below.

For us DPL is $2300. Front what I have seen that is a reasonable price. On many big clubs you pay more and your in SCDSL or CSL.

For the record, I think DPL is unnecessary. I believe the consolidation of talent (steel sharpening steel) and leagues is better than expansion. The only advantage of DPL that I see is the automatic entries into showcases. That does beat having to cross your fingers (for teams on the bubble) and hoping you get in.

For families based in the LA area DPL is the next best choice after DA as ECNL is not a local option. In the 2003 age group for example there are only a couple of really solid teams in CSL Premier and SCDSL FL 1Champions and neither are in the LA area. Many of these teams failed to qualify for CRL...losing out to DPL teams. If ECNL were a local option in LA the conversation would be different and more similar to the OC narrative.

What part of LA are you talking about? The DPL team you chose might be the best option in your case, but it is too great of a generalization to say that the next best option is DPL if ECNL is not available in your area. There may be better SCDSL flight 1 or CSL teams. Look at the '03 CRL standings, non DPL teams seem to be doing just fine.

I think what people are posting here are their own personal experiences with DPL. Some are positive, like yours, and others are negative. I agree with you that if it's the right fit for you, then so be it. However, I think the problem people are having is that you seem to imply that DPL is a superior league. See below.

For the record, I think DPL is unnecessary. I believe the consolidation of talent (steel sharpening steel) and leagues is better than expansion. The only advantage of DPL that I see is the automatic entries into showcases. That does beat having to cross your fingers (for teams on the bubble) and hoping you get in.

My point was that most of the negative posts are not from people with DD playing in DPL. I did not mean to imply that it was a superior league either. Just that the cost is similar to CSL and SCDSL when some were implying that the costs were higher. We still have National Cup and other events outside of league where "steel can sharpen steel".

What part of LA are you talking about? The DPL team you chose might be the best option in your case, but it is too great of a generalization to say that the next best option is DPL if ECNL is not available in your area. There may be better SCDSL flight 1 or CSL teams. Look at the '03 CRL standings, non DPL teams seem to be doing just fine.

He is talking about all of LA and Ventura County. Let's stay with the 2003 age group. In SCDSL Champions bracket you have Beach's 3rd team, CZ Elite, Real So Cal Santa Clarita Valley, and Westside Breakers. That's 4 teams only in LA and none in Ventura County. In CSL Premier you have Santa Monica and Fram in LA and Simi Valley in Ventura. These are supposedly the options you would be considering against the DPL teams for Camarillo Eagles, Real So Cal, LA Premier, LA Galaxy, and Beach. If you are not willing to drive to Orange County and you don't make a DA team, these would be your choices of the teams at the top level.

For families based in the LA area DPL is the next best choice after DA as ECNL is not a local option. In the 2003 age group for example there are only a couple of really solid teams in CSL Premier and SCDSL FL 1Champions and neither are in the LA area. Many of these teams failed to qualify for CRL...losing out to DPL teams. If ECNL were a local option in LA the conversation would be different and more similar to the OC narrative.
He is talking about all of LA and Ventura County. Let's stay with the 2003 age group. In SCDSL Champions bracket you have Beach's 3rd team, CZ Elite, Real So Cal Santa Clarita Valley, and Westside Breakers. That's 4 teams only in LA and none in Ventura County. In CSL Premier you have Santa Monica and Fram in LA and Simi Valley in Ventura. These are supposedly the options you would be considering against the DPL teams for Camarillo Eagles, Real So Cal, LA Premier, LA Galaxy, and Beach. If you are not willing to drive to Orange County and you don't make a DA team, these would be your choices of the teams at the top level.
Correct...none of those teams in LA or Ventura are considered to be strong and many of them failed to qualify for CRL against DPL teams. There are some strong teams in CRL that are not DPL like IE Surf...again none in LA or Ventura.

Is it that your club doesn't offer ECNL? I'm in disbelief that your club has better players on a DA2 team than DA1 unless they are 02s or higher. You have almost no chance of showcasing her in front of colleges in DA2. ECNL allows for high school and is a proven soccer circuit so why play in a league that has nothing to offer at this point? Do you really believe that you have time and things will work out for this league to find a place among all the proven leagues? Your post implies she has the talent to play DA and if the restrictions are not to her liking then ECNL might be a better fit in the long run.
Disagree that D2/DPL will not be showcased.

My DD DPL, received several letters from College Coaches at Surf Cup this past summer. Silverlakes and Vegas should allow for more opportunity. I guess only time will tell!

I guess Soccerreccos does not count as a DPL parent that has a negative comment about it?
:) my thoughts exactly. Many of the families on the DA team aren't happy either. DA is a very big commitment when your child is not starting and/or *gasp* has other interests outside soccer like, I don't know, school (academics, I mean). I don't know how these kids can be successful academically when hey are out of the house every night of the week. Most of the families drive at least an hour round trip, so this is three hours per night minimum.

:) my thoughts exactly. Many of the families on the DA team aren't happy either. DA is a very big commitment when your child is not starting and/or *gasp* has other interests outside soccer like, I don't know, school (academics, I mean). I don't know how these kids can be successful academically when hey are out of the house every night of the week. Most of the families drive at least an hour round trip, so this is three hours per night minimum.
I think many of the parents on DA who are not happy didn't do any research before jumping into it.

If people had read about DA they would have known that there are 4 practices per week. They would have known HS sports and other outside interests will be limited due to the commitment to DA. They would have known that if you are not a starter playing time could be an issue, etc.

The info was/is out there.

I think many of the parents on DA who are not happy didn't do any research before jumping into it.

If people had read about DA they would have known that there are 4 practices per week. They would have known HS sports and other outside interests will be limited due to the commitment to DA. They would have known that if you are not a starter playing time could be an issue, etc.

But sometimes things don't sound so bad in theory, but in practice...

I think the results of GDA will be very similar to ECNL. The parents of the core players will likely find GDA just fine for their dd. If their dd is not a regular starter, then they will look elsewhere.

I would not be surprised that at the conclusion of this GDA season there is a lot of roster turnover before next season.

What club/team has unhappy DA parents?

Back