Girls DPL?

"Kids need to be in an environment where they practice hard every practice and fight for the right for playing time on the weekend."

I would agree with this for the top 1%-5% of players from ages 15 up. Kids that are extremely self driven, and passionate about their sport will thrive in that environment and that's where the DA makes sense. The majority of kids at age 12 up will enjoy being in a competitive environment, an environment where they will be challenged and rewarded by growth and development (that should also translate to playing time). That is different from a pressure filled environment where every practice performance is scrutinized and measured by people who have no investment in them as a person. Most of theses girls will be done playing soccer after high school. Some will play in college. Almost none will go any further. The DA should be for players who have that high intensity drive and desire for soccer- that top 1%-5%. Everyone else should be playing on a team commensurate with their skill level and desire. There is no need (IMHO) to add 2-3 other leagues to fill some non-existent gap in player development. It just further dilutes the quality of coaching, and of play for the other 95%--which makes attendance a tougher sell to those college coaches if that is what your player is after.

Yes. She had the offer to go full time just before HS or play HS. She is a junior and she chose to play HS knowing she won’t get to play next year. She now appears to be one of the 5-6 players that consistently goes the full 90 minutes. It’s been an amazing year so far.
Sounds like the DPL system worked perfectly for your player. Congrats and good luck to her!

In your opinion, do you think she should have been rostered on the DA team from the start, or did she need to do some work / step up her game in order to get to the level needed?

27 pages of discussion for a 9 game fringe league. Not really sure how those games really make any difference compared to just about any thing else.

These closed leagues are not benefiting very many players so why have a self serving platform that really is just a gimmick for the clubs?

The boys seem to do fine without another league and there are plenty to choose anyway including local leagues like players seasonal psslu which offer good comp at the young ages.

This dpl offering reminds me of "new" coke a product nobody really asked for or liked but was pushed down commericaly in a attempt to bring in more $ since the parent was losing market share.

Sounds like the DPL system worked perfectly for your player. Congrats and good luck to her!

In your opinion, do you think she should have been rostered on the DA team from the start, or did she need to do some work / step up her game in order to get to the level needed?

It is hard to answer this question objectively without parental bias but I will try. I think it is a bit of both. She is definitely a better player than last year and the DA training environment has really allowed her to grow as a player but this all occurred after she started practicing with the DA and playing with them as a DP. She tried out for two DA teams last June but we were a bit late to the tryout process when our previous team suddenly fell apart. Both clubs essentially moved their entire ECNL teams over to the DA and they both had pretty full rosters before considering any new players. We were also moving clubs and had not previously played ECNL. I felt she belonged from Day 1 but I was aware that could just have been my parental bias working. So we took a gamble with DPL and trusted that if she was talented enough, eventually it would work out.

We played the second place SCDSL Champions Division team to a draw and in my opinion we had better chances to win than them. I know most will not like hearing this but for 2001's DPL is more competitive that the Champions division. I think DPL is on the right track.
For 2001s, National Cup seems to have played out just about as I would have predicted. 6 Champions teams in the Sweet 16 and 5 DPL teams. I still consider it a shame that the formation of DPL made it impossible for all or most of those 11 teams to play in the same league this season. This is what dilution looks like.

SCDSL Champions
League Rank..Team..League Points..National Cup So Far

1 Crescenta Valley SC G01..23..Sweet 16
2 CDA Slammers FC - HB G01 Elite..20..Sweet 16
3 SGV Surf G01 SB/HH..20..Sweet 16
4 So Cal Rush G01..19..2nd place group K, rd 1 (but failed to advance as wild card)
5 FC Premier 2001 - Coerver Elite..16..2nd place group J, rd 1 (but failed to advance as wild card)
6 CDA Slammers FC - Cerritos G01 Martinez..15..Sweet 16
7 South Slammers FC Elite G01..15..Sweet 16
8 CDA Slammers FC - HB G01 EGSL..10..Sweet 16
9 San Diego Soccer Club G2001 Academy Navy..8..3rd place group D, rd 1
10 Anaheim Surf Soccer Club G2001 Carrillo..7..Had a #1 rd 1 seed but forfeited
11 LA Galaxy South Bay Girls 2001 Elite..0..4th place group K

DPL
1 Legends FC DPL 2001..24..Sweet 16
2 LA Premier FC DPL 2001..18..Sweet 16
2 Real So Cal DPL 2001..16..Sweet 16
4 Beach FC DPL 2001..13..Sweet 16
5 SC del Sol DPL 2001..12..Did not compete
6 LA Galaxy DPL 2001..12..Had a bye, 3rd in group B, rd 2
7 Pateadores DPL 2001..11..Sweet 16 (managed to advance even though they earned only 3 points in the 2nd round)
8 Eagles SC DPL 2001..10..4th place group E, rd 1
9 LA Galaxy San Diego DPL 2001..5..Had a bye but forfeited
10 Albion SC DPL 2001..4..Had a bye, finished 4th in group E, rd 2

Last edited:
We are no longer playing DPL but I think having a full DPL season mimicking the DA season is a good thing. I would be in favor of not playing National Cup and much fewer tournaments for DPL teams as long as they can attract college coaches when they play. After about the age of 14, I am a big fan of fewer games. There is no way girls at this age can play two games a day and still play at 100%. In fact I much prefer just one game a weekend. Kids need to be in an environment where they practice hard every practice and fight for the right for playing time on the weekend. Playing time needs to be earned when they get older and play at the higher levels.
I agree with that sentiment and appreciate your taking the time to respond, but I wasn't asking about playing more or fewer games. I was asking about playing more games against DPL teams in exchange for the games you used to play against quality opponents in major tournaments. In other words, and considering the numbers above, if your DD were on Legends' DPL team would you rather play your way to a potential championship in National Cup (and at least get to play some of those top SCDSL teams once) or give that up so you can play a second league game against Albion and LAGSD?

27 pages of discussion for a 9 game fringe league. Not really sure how those games really make any difference compared to just about any thing else.

These closed leagues are not benefiting very many players so why have a self serving platform that really is just a gimmick for the clubs?

The boys seem to do fine without another league and there are plenty to choose anyway including local leagues like players seasonal psslu which offer good comp at the young ages.

This dpl offering reminds me of "new" coke a product nobody really asked for or liked but was pushed down commericaly in a attempt to bring in more $ since the parent was losing market share.

I think the confusion comes on between the 9 game dpl league from this season and what the 03 pilot league will be next season, which is very different.

I agree with that sentiment and appreciate your taking the time to respond, but I wasn't asking about playing more or fewer games. I was asking about playing more games against DPL teams in exchange for the games you used to play against quality opponents in major tournaments. In other words, and considering the numbers above, if your DD were on Legends' DPL team would you rather play your way to a potential championship in National Cup (and at least get to play some of those top SCDSL teams once) or give that up so you can play a second league game against Albion and LAGSD?

I think my answer was clear. I would rather play less games and a league schedule that continues into the Spring then play National Cup and various other spring tournaments. DA and ECNL don't play National Cup and I don't see why DPL should need to play it either. I know most everyone here wants DPL to play SCDSL and CSL teams so that the can figure out who is best but if development is the focus that really shouldn't matter. Now I would have a big issue if the DPL teams don't get exposure to college coaches but except for the round of 16 and later there are not many coaches around.

I know most everyone here wants DPL to play SCDSL and CSL teams so that the can figure out who is best but if development is the focus that really shouldn't matter.
Wrong Pansy. People don't want more leagues that water down teams and don't want more travel.

Wrong Pansy. People don't want more leagues that water down teams and don't want more travel.

Fiction, every single post you make here shows your true colors. It’s amazing that you continue to post since you don’t even have kids playing soccer. I have lost hope that you ever contribute even one positive, thoughtful post that adds value to this site.

There’s no championship in National Cup. It’s a farce. There are more than a dozen top teams that don’t even play. This has been the case since the ecnl/egsl days and now within DA and the pilot, the 03 national cup next year will even be worse.

But everyone picks where they go and they can be satisfied with their decision.

There’s no championship in National Cup. It’s a farce. There are more than a dozen top teams that don’t even play. This has been the case since the ecnl/egsl days and now within DA and the pilot, the 03 national cup next year will even be worse.

Its not a farce if college coaches are still attending the semis/finals and or regionals.

Irregardless of level it is still a Championship.

Fiction, every single post you make here shows your true colors. It’s amazing that you continue to post since you don’t even have kids playing soccer. I have lost hope that you ever contribute even one positive, thoughtful post that adds value to this site.
Why don't you tell me what my true colors are Pansy?

You are wrong is you think the reason people want to DPL to play SCDSL/CSL is so that they can compare who is better. Most parents and players just want a larger pool of teams so that they can play closer to home. That is in the best interest of everyone.

So out of 60-80 teams competing per age group its okay if only 4 teams get in front of any coaches? That is a waste of time for most teams.

Well obviously its not a college showcase, but the coaches must think there is some talent to look at in later rounds.

A question i would have about DPL is will there be video access of the 03 pilot. College coaches told me that DA video was instrumental in their scouting or recruiting.

They can attend a single game but if a kid goes off, was it a fluke or a consistent thing. Same with a poor game.

We’ve had college coaches at many of our regular season games - not showcases, just our Saturday games.

If the pilot has that access, it is likely worth it, if that’s what you’re looking for.

Simi, since day one you've been trying to justify DPL's creation and attempting to distinguish it from all the other leagues and in essence claiming DPL as superior in status. Look at your own words, you're basically saying DPL is "too good" to do what the other leagues do and should follow what the elite leagues do.

DA and ECNL don't play National Cup and I don't see why DPL should need to play it either.

Is that not smug and arrogant?

I know most everyone here wants DPL to play SCDSL and CSL teams so that the can figure out who is best

You have it backwards Simi, you and all the other DPL defenders began to refer to DPL as inherently superior to all the other leagues. Some of us knew exactly what DPL was from the get go. There was no need to play each other because other than adding DPL to the end of the team name, these were the same teams and coaches we all played before.

but if development is the focus that really shouldn't matter.

Oh, so now you're all about development? If it's all about development, you should have been against DPL's creation in the first place. And for the record, if this new "Discovery" league waters down the competition I will be against it. There's no need for it.

Simi, since day one you've been trying to justify DPL's creation and attempting to distinguish it from all the other leagues and in essence claiming DPL as superior in status. Look at your own words, you're basically saying DPL is "too good" to do what the other leagues do and should follow what the elite leagues do.

You have it backwards Simi, you and all the other DPL defenders began to refer to DPL as inherently superior to all the other leagues. Some of us knew exactly what DPL was from the get go. There was no need to play each other because other than adding DPL to the end of the team name, these were the same teams and coaches we all played before.

Oh, so now you're all about development? If it's all about development, you should have been against DPL's creation in the first place. And for the record, if this new "Discovery" league waters down the competition I will be against it. There's no need for it.
Why don't you tell me what my true colors are Pansy?

You are wrong is you think the reason people want to DPL to play SCDSL/CSL is so that they can compare who is better. Most parents and players just want a larger pool of teams so that they can play closer to home. That is in the best interest of everyone.
I don't care as much about closer to home, but the dilution of talent amongst the teams. Every single team in the age group is impacted every time they try to slice a new piece of the pie.

Actually since Day 1 there has been a very strong bias against DPL on this site. I am sure I could pull up those posts. Since my dd participated in DPL unlike many of those against it all I have done is try and share our experience with it. I have never said that DPL is superior to SCDSL or CSL regardless of what you think my words mean. I have not said that DPL is too good to do what other leagues are doing. Your trying to twist my words to feed your own agenda.

Once again let me be very clear with my opinion. DPL is the 2nd teams for those clubs that are DA and don't have ECNL. ECNL is a far better option than DPL unless a girl really wants to make a DA team and is one of the very few DPL girls that stands the chance of getting moved up. It's a toss up on whether DA or ECNL overall is better and this is in flux with all of the changes occurring. I have said before that there are number of SCDSL and CSL teams that are as good or better than the top DPL teams. Overall its my opinion that the depth of DPL is a bit better than CSL Premier or Flight 1 but I know many of you want agree.

Finally, my opinion about not playing National Cup is not because I think DPL is better than other leagues. I just think National cup has been diluted through the years and now is a waste of time. I think DPL, CSL, and SCDSL should all be playing league games during the spring instead and only attending top showcase events that attract coaches. Also my view on development is that it occurs mostly during practice and all of these top teams need to stop playing so many games (including two or more in a day) so that every game is meaningful.

Back