Girls Development Academy

Confirmation just came from our club on the 2003 DPL Pilot. Says the best 03s will play in the 02/03 combo and the rest in the Pilot.

All the same rules for subs, no high school, 4 days a week, etc... as the 02/03 combo group. Still going to the Winter and Summer Showcases to play vs the Pilot teams from the Frontier Division.

I would think that if an 03 player didn’t make the DA 02/03 team at their club, that the better chance for exposure may be with an ECNL team rather than DPL. With the increase of “all in” ECNL teams this week, many of which are from some of the more talent rich markets, many of the teams at the ECNL showcases will be the top players from those areas. That will most likely draw more colleges than a DPL game where they know they are looking at “second tier” players. Obviously there will be talent in DPL but it may not be the best medium to gain exposure..... Also, with the mirroring of the DA rules/restrictions, that is a lot to give up to play on the “B” team.

I would think that if an 03 player didn’t make the DA 02/03 team at their club, that the better chance for exposure may be with an ECNL team rather than DPL. With the increase of “all in” ECNL teams this week, many of which are from some of the more talent rich markets, many of the teams at the ECNL showcases will be the top players from those areas. That will most likely draw more colleges than a DPL game where they know they are looking at “second tier” players. Obviously there will be talent in DPL but it may not be the best medium to gain exposure..... Also, with the mirroring of the DA rules/restrictions, that is a lot to give up to play on the “B” team.

A lot of yes and a lot of no.

No because we have already established in this thread that the combo teams are filled with olders 7 to 1. There aren't many spots for youngers which is why this Pilot age group is being created and tried in the first place. That said, mine expects to be on the combo team from my conversations with her.

A lot of yes and a lot of no.

No because we have already established in this thread that the combo teams are filled with olders 7 to 1. There aren't many spots for youngers which is why this Pilot age group is being created and tried in the first place. That said, mine expects to be on the combo team from my conversations with her.

Agreed. However, if the DPL showcases are being combined with the DA showcases, I have a hard time believing that a college coach or US scout is going to choose to watch an ‘03 DPL game over a 02/03 DA game, if they are looking for top ‘03 talent. It just doesn’t make sense. Obviously this isn’t an absolute but I would think it would still lead to less exposure overall for the DPL kids.

Agreed. However, if the DPL showcases are being combined with the DA showcases, I have a hard time believing that a college coach or US scout is going to chose to watch an ‘03 DPL game over a 02/03 DA game if they are looking for top ‘03 talent. It just doesn’t make sense. Obviously this isn’t an absolute but I would think it would still lead to less exposure overall for the DPL kids.

What's the difference between this year and next year when it comes to scouting? The 03s considered the top were playing up on the older heavy squads and the rest on the 03 squads. Same difference. 95% of the players in the 03 class will be playing in the 03 Pilot out here and in the Frontier conference. Do you just throw them away?

Also, consider that politics sometimes has lots to do with who is considered the best and worthy.

Let me be clear. DA has nothing to do with DPL. DPL teams will not be at DA showcases. What I heard is that the Southwest and Frontier Divisions will pilot an 03 DA division. These teams will be full DA. The DA clubs in the Southwest that don’t have ECNL have DPL teams also. So clubs will have an 03 DA team and an 03 DPL team. There will also be 02 DA and DPL teams. Those 02 DA teams will play other 02/03 DA teams at showcases. 03 DA age girls can always play up. 03 DA teams will play the 03 DA teams from Frontier at showcases.

What's the difference between this year and next year when it comes to scouting? The 03s considered the top were playing up on the older heavy squads and the rest on the 03 squads. Same difference. 95% of the players in the 03 class will be playing in the 03 Pilot out here and in the Frontier conference. Do you just throw them away?

Also, consider that politics sometimes has lots to do with who is considered the best and worthy.

The difference is fairly significant. The difference between this year and next year is that this year the 03’s are actually playing up. They are on an 01”/02 team. Next year the best 03’s won’t be playing up, they will be playing in a dual age band that includes their age 02’/03’. Additionally, with the 01’s and probably some talented 02’s moving up to the next age band, there will be more spots for 03’s than this year. If the 03’s unicorns (maybe a girl or two per team) playing up this year move up with the 01’s next year, then that will mean even more spots for a new crop of 03’s. Simply stated there will be more 03’s on the 02/03 teams next season than there are 03’s on the 01/02 teams this year and it won’t be close. I’m guessing more than 5% , but does it matter? If the clubs are willing to set aside the top 5% of a specific age group, they have made the college coaches job much easier.

Let me be clear. DA has nothing to do with DPL. DPL teams will not be at DA showcases. What I heard is that the Southwest and Frontier Divisions will pilot an 03 DA division. These teams will be full DA. The DA clubs in the Southwest that don’t have ECNL have DPL teams also. So clubs will have an 03 DA team and an 03 DPL team. There will also be 02 DA and DPL teams. Those 02 DA teams will play other 02/03 DA teams at showcases. 03 DA age girls can always play up. 03 DA teams will play the 03 DA teams from Frontier at showcases.

Aye yi yi..... I need a flow chart. So DPL will be third tier team within the 2003 DA not DA structure? 1) DA 02/03. 2)DA 03. 3) DPL 03.

So some posters are saying that US Soccer is calling the 03
pilot program DPL. What does DPL stand for to US Soccer? And if they plan to use the name DPL, they should make the Development Player League that was formed without any affiliation to US Soccer change their name to something else. Otherwise it is going to be very confusing for some people to
realize the benefits/drawbacks of any given team.
I think confusing is the new norm. :)

The relative position of teams within a club doesn't seem that confusing for either DA clubs or DA + ECNL clubs (Blues excepted) in the Southwest. Purely my POV:

DA Only
DA
2000/2001
2002/2003
2003 (Pilot)
then DPL teams in age groups if participating
then SCDSL flight 1 teams

DA + ENCL (except Blues)
DA teams in age groups
ECNL teams in age groups
DPL teams in age groups if participating
SCDSL flight 1 teams

Blues (my understanding)
Certain DA teams / Certain ECNL teams depending on age groups
Remaining DA teams/ Remaining ECNL teams depending on age groups
SCDSL Flight 1 teams

Regarding DA, players have always been able to play up, so at some clubs a few of the current single age group teams are in actuality dual age group teams (e.g. some 2005s are currently playing with 2004 teams). The piloting of the 2003 age group team means that 2002/2003 teams will likely be majority 2002 (which has been written about prior) and the 2003 DA pilot teams will be mostly 2003s with maybe (or not) a few smattering of 2004s. Perhaps having a 2003 pilot in the Frontier and Southwest divisions is a recognition of the relative strength of the players within these regions, and US Soccer not wanting to eliminate many of these girls from the funnel quite so soon. Or perhaps it's a response to complaints by the clubs. I see the DA having been set up by US Soccer as an attempt to scout and find national team players (you can argue as to the merit and success of this 1 year in). As such, it's set up to be a funnel that narrows at the top and reduces the number of players in the system. DA doesn't really care about getting kids into college, although that's a potential side benefit now being promoted.

Wrong. The Pilot 03 DA is being called DPL by US Soccer. They will be at showcases and will play by DA rules and within the DA schedule of games. This is unlike what was called DPL this season.

So some posters are saying that US Soccer is calling the 03
pilot program DPL. What does DPL stand for to US Soccer? And if they plan to use the name DPL, they should make the Development Player League that was formed without any affiliation to US Soccer change their name to something else. Otherwise it is going to be very confusing for some people to
realize the benefits/drawbacks of any given team.

Agreed, but it’s up to people to do their homework. Teams use pre-academy, academy, and premier in names all the time and have no association with the true origin of those titles. It does seem odd that they call the 03 Pilots DPL, but that is indeed what it is called.

Agreed, but it’s up to people to do their homework. Teams use pre-academy, academy, and premier in names all the time and have no association with the true origin of those titles. It does seem odd that they call the 03 Pilots DPL, but that is indeed what it is called.

Share the US Soccer post.

The difference is fairly significant. The difference between this year and next year is that this year the 03’s are actually playing up. They are on an 01”/02 team. Next year the best 03’s won’t be playing up, they will be playing in a dual age band that includes their age 02’/03’. Additionally, with the 01’s and probably some talented 02’s moving up to the next age band, there will be more spots for 03’s than this year. If the 03’s unicorns (maybe a girl or two per team) playing up this year move up with the 01’s next year, then that will mean even more spots for a new crop of 03’s. Simply stated there will be more 03’s on the 02/03 teams next season than there are 03’s on the 01/02 teams this year and it won’t be close. I’m guessing more than 5% , but does it matter? If the clubs are willing to set aside the top 5% of a specific age group, they have made the college coaches job much easier.

03 currently has their own age bracket right now. They are not currently all playing up.

You want proof, I told you what our club called it. DPL 2003 Pilot.

Btw no separate age group for 2002 DAs. Only the combo group.

I'll give you this much...

DA Structure:
  • DA 2000/01
  • DA 2002/03
  • DA 2004
  • DA 2005
In addition to a new program:
  • 2003 DPL Pilot
DPL teams:
  • 2006 - Fall Only
  • 2005 – Spring and Fall
  • 2004 – Spring and Fall