Girls Development Academy

Does anyone know when US Soccer will announce the new GDA clubs, if any? I had heard February but can't confirm.

Good quote --

"Please don’t try and pretend because 70 percent of the players on a youth national team are from the DA, you’re developing them,” he told Soccer America. “You and I both know they ripped these kids off from ECNL teams.”

And who did the ECNL teams rip them off from? ECNL had some good ideas, but being a closed league that gave a monopoly to the guys in track suits was not one of them. Unfortunately, DA followed the same model.

And who did the ECNL teams rip them off from? ECNL had some good ideas, but being a closed league that gave a monopoly to the guys in track suits was not one of them. Unfortunately, DA followed the same model.

i would think that US Soccer would be above that and actually be trying to improve the state of soccer in America. Clearly US Soccer is a money making organization. What would you think if the US military's primary goal was to make money (sell tech to other countries) other than defending America? They need to stick to the Prime Directive....

i would think that US Soccer would be above that and actually be trying to improve the state of soccer in America. Clearly US Soccer is a money making organization. What would you think if the US military's primary goal was to make money (sell tech to other countries) other than defending America? They need to stick to the Prime Directive....
I am not following your analogy. I am pretty certain ECNL was set up to make money as well. ECNL and GDA have more in common than not and should be combined. There should also be a way for good coaches with good teams to earn a spot. Some of the best coaches I know of are not at ECNL or DA clubs. The primary goal of US Soccer should be to increase the popularity of the sport. All the other goals will follow from that.

I am not following your analogy. I am pretty certain ECNL was set up to make money as well. ECNL and GDA have more in common than not and should be combined. There should also be a way for good coaches with good teams to earn a spot. Some of the best coaches I know of are not at ECNL or DA clubs. The primary goal of US Soccer should be to increase the popularity of the sport. All the other goals will follow from that.

ECNL is not US Soccer. US Soccer's mission should be to advance Soccer in America not make a profit. Answer these questions for me. Why does US Soccer have a $150 million dollar war chest yet they need to get into the for profit youth soccer business? Why didn't they use $5 million of that surplus to save the Boston Breakers NWSL team? Why isn't the money that they allocated to the NWSL given to each team instead of specific national team players? Within the answers to those questions are an understanding of why US Soccer (SUM Marketing) don't care about developing soccer in the US. They care about promoting the MLS due to their ownership stake in it and the revenue generated by it. That is the connection...

@outside! you have to think bigger.

The hypocrisy of some in the women’s soccer game is beyond funny. So Dorrance speaks out against a system that he benefits from and more to the point uses to his advantage better than most coaches. If he was so offended by US Soccer listing DA players in their call ups maybe he shouldn’t recruit them. Or maybe don’t recruit a 12 year old while your at it. But no one asked him that question. US Soccer is a machine designed to make money through marketing, merchandise, tv rights, etc. It’s main vehicles for that on the men’s side is the MLS. Onthe Women’s side it is the National Team. NWSL is a joke. 2 or 3 allocates players make any money at all and the rest are living in poverty. 3 NWSL teams have folded in 2 seasons, no one cares. Especially US Soccer. Is Dorrance commenting on that? Nope. Why? Because he benefited from it. Getting the NC Courage in his backyard. And yet no one cares.

Spot on MAP!!! Look at the difference between the English Football Association mission statement and the closest thing I could find to a mission statement on the US Soccer Federation website -

https://www.ussoccer.com/about/about-us-soccer
http://www.thefa.com/about-football-association/what-we-do/strategy

The "About" US soccer page reads like a press release from a marketing company trying to sell TV rights, with an oh by the way, we are trying to train better coaches. The conflict of interest between MLS/SUM/USSF is so glaring you gotta wear shades!

The Football Assocation page has clearly defined goals, measurable goals, accountability to reach those goals. The English women's team will be better than the US team in 2023. I doubt our US women's team will be top 5 in 2023.

Spot on MAP!!! Look at the difference between the English Football Association mission statement and the closest thing I could find to a mission statement on the US Soccer Federation website -

The "About" US soccer page reads like a press release from a marketing company trying to sell TV rights, with an oh by the way, we are trying to train better coaches. The conflict of interest between MLS/SUM/USSF is so glaring you gotta wear shades!

The Football Assocation page has clearly defined goals, measurable goals, accountability to reach those goals. The English women's team will be better than the US team in 2023. I doubt our US women's team will be top 5 in 2023.

I would like to see Dorrance speak out against the NCAA rules that prevent colleges from playing the international game. These are the same rules that will lead to college soccer becoming irrelevant for producing world players in the future, since the best players will skip college. This is already happening and is just the tip of the iceberg. High school sports which are basically run by a bunch of old football, basketball and baseball AD's, has already made itself irrelevant for soccer. The NCAA (which is also basically run by a bunch of old football, basketball and baseball guys) won't learn that lesson in time.

Does anyone really disagree that if we could go back in time and negotiate the rift between US Soccer and ECNL in that there would only be one league “Closed League” right now that we would collectively be in a better place?

Does anyone really disagree that if we could go back in time and negotiate the rift between US Soccer and ECNL in that there would only be one league “Closed League” right now that we would collectively be in a better place?
That kind of depends on the geographical locations of the closed league clubs and, of course, the politics involved with choosing which clubs got into the closed league. As it stands, there are either ECNL or DA options for players in more geographic areas. Should they be consolidated? Probably. But who is to do the choosing? The politics of ECNL, and their reluctance to include worthy clubs in order to maintain their ability to poach players from them, created this problem.

That is why it may be a bit ironic to imply that US Soccer GDA poached players from ECNL.

That is such a contrast in Mission Statements that it is sickening!! Thank you for pointing it out. I love how the FA has a clear mission to grow the women's side of the game.

Back