Girls Development Academy

Sorry but my kid will be parlaying her BA degree, Masters, school pedigree (read Alumni) and natty ring for a six figure income after she plays a few years in the pros "for the love of the game" and the experience.
I have a son that she would love.

Ok then, keep having these inside DOC conversations. DOC are always honest they never ever are less than trustworthy, never will they ever say one thing than do the opposite.

I didn't say DOCs don't lie. I said EVERYONE lies and it starts with USSF and their ever changing mind and ideas of what is supposedly good for the future of the youth soccer landscape in America. All of it at the expense of the players. And these aren't inside DOC conversations. It was general talk and knowledge amongst many clubs that '03 would remain age pure, following the last meeting. If that wasn't the general info given to many clubs, DOCS, coaches, etc., just a few months ago, then we wouldn't all be shocked right now and even discussing it!!! Period.

Yup, and the other college players parlay their college “branding” into a Youth club coaching gig.

The college game is a terrific experience but if a player has serious chops as MP does, then go pro. Frankly she disagrees with yo, as much as she was supportive and hung around when the rubber hit the road she chose development.

And if NWSL is the 3rd worst pro league in the world then College is a distant fourth. We will not stay on top in World Soccer pushing college as a path when Europe isn’t.
Pugh left UCLA not for the development, but for the money. If you recall, the US WNT players just reworked their USSF player contract last year. Once the new player contract was announced, Pugh announced she was turning pro a week later. Pugh was already on the US WNT, but was not being paid...thus, being college eligible.

Last edited:
Good. The rest of the world thinks playing soccer in College is silly.

College sports has only proven to be a true developmental platform and pathway for uniquely American sports.
That’s true for the men’s game. The women’s goes through college soccer. Fleming (Canadian WNT) and many other international players line the women college soccer rosters.

Last edited:
And I’m sorry but the challenge in college simply isn’t the same. She is practicing with and against National team players from all over.

Who in the college game is even comparable to playing against Marta? Or playing against Marta and Alex Morgan in the same game? Please stop, College is great but MP is far more challenged where she is now. You really should look at the rosters a little more closely.
Ummmm, have you been watching any women’s college soccer? Obviously you haven’t seen Catarina Macario play at Surf or now at Stanford. Catarina is a Brazilian born player like Marta! Ashley Sanchez and Jessie Fleming at UCLA are both skillful and fun to watch. All 3 will be drafted in the NWSL 1st round.

Alex Morgan, lol....any fast 5’8” forward in the Pac12 or ACC has similar athletic chops as Alex Morgan. Hallie Mace at UCLA comes to mind.

Oh yeah, USC last year had 5 players drafted by the NWSL.

Last edited:
Ummmm, have you been watching any women’s college soccer? Obviously you haven’t seen Catarina Macario play at Surf or now at Stanford. Catarina is Brazillian born player like Marta! Ashley Sanchez and Jessie Fleming at UCLA are both skillful and fun to watch. All 3 will be drafted in the NWSL 1st round.

Alex Morgan, lol....any fast 5’8” forward in the Pac12 or ACC has similar athletic chops as Alex Morgan. Hallie Mace at UCLA comes to mind.

Fleming and Sanchez are fun to watch, but Macario is absolute quality!!! Does anyone know if she will play for the US or Brazil on the National Level going forward?

You cash in on a brand once you have results to back it up. At this point outside of high school she has no results to point to. If you haven't seen little girls lined up to get autographs then you haven't been to a top college game. If you don't think that her game would improve playing at UCLA then you haven't watched them play and I will leave it at that. UCLA lost to the Seattle Reign 3-2 without Pugh, Sanchez or Fleming and they were leading 2-1 with 20 minutes left in the game. I get that you have your opinion but at least WATCH before you say anything. As the saying goes, "God gave us two ears and one mouth for a reason. We should do twice as much listening as talking." I will add that you should watch a team before you comment. If you did you would know that even with her she wasn't going to be the main player on the team and she was far from dominant in training.

Pretty hard to watch a game that isn’t on TV.
Ummmm, have you been watching any women’s college soccer? Obviously you haven’t seen Catarina Macario play at Surf or now at Stanford. Catarina is Brazillian born player like Marta! Ashley Sanchez and Jessie Fleming at UCLA are both skillful and fun to watch. All 3 will be drafted in the NWSL 1st round.

Jesus, nobody watches women’s college soccer. That’s why the idea of “building your brand” by staying in college is ludicrous.

Pretty hard to watch a game that isn’t on TV.
. It’s not hard....Pac-12 network and ACC ESPN3 app.

Jesus, nobody watches women’s college soccer. That’s why the idea of “building your brand” by staying in college is ludicrous.
Building a brand, lol...you are flip-flopping. 1st you say Pugh left, because of development and now it’s for her branding. Which is it?

Building a brand, lol...you are flip-flopping. 1st you say Pugh left, because of development and now it’s for her branding. Which is it?

I’m mocking the building a brand argument. That is not a flip flop

I could also find “Droan Racing” on TV too. I’m glad you guys all love the women’s college game but only alum, friends and family care about it.

Fleming and Sanchez are fun to watch, but Macario is absolute quality!!! Does anyone know if she will play for the US or Brazil on the National Level going forward?

Let me know where my kids can buy their posters. I want to support “the brand” ya know.

Your talking about men. For women the top 10 programs in College are a legit platform for most Europeans, south and North American players. The U21 U23 DA talk is a money grab and nothing more. The cost benefit analysis of a college degree vs entry level pro salary is no where close for women players.

Playing women's pro soccer in the US and getting a college degree are not mutually exclusive. NWSL is not full time - many players have other jobs. You can go to school and play pro, either concurrently or consecutively.

NWSL conditions and pay are just as good as when the NFL and NBA started. Maybe better. We are under the illusion that a newly formed league should operate like other established pro sports in the US when those sports took decades to achieve their popularity and stable finances.

Playing women's pro soccer in the US and getting a college degree are not mutually exclusive. NWSL is not full time - many players have other jobs. You can go to school and play pro, either concurrently or consecutively.

NWSL conditions and pay are just as good as when the NFL and NBA started. Maybe better. We are under the illusion that a newly formed league should operate like other established pro sports in the US when those sports took decades to achieve their popularity and stable finances.
Jesus are you for real or what? If you think the NWSL is not full time than you are really out of touch or just dumb. It’s full time. The reason players work is not because they want to it’s becasue they want to eat and pay their bills. Players on the national team are fine enough the rest of the roster is left to eek out an existence that puts their status in jeopardy if their not in playing shape to stay in a roster. That can’t happen by working a regular job. But I guess the women should just be quiet little things and just be happy they have a place to play right. The leagues salaries are suppressed because USSOCCER controls the league. If UsSoccer wanted to invest in the overall game it would. Your argument that because the league is only 5 years old players should make next to nothing is lame.

I could also find “Droan Racing” on TV too. I’m glad you guys all love the women’s college game but only alum, friends and family care about it.
You are indirectly admitting you don’t know the quality of players playing D1 college soccer. Especially, in the Pac12 or ACC level.

Pro womens soccer leagues has been around for 20 years with 2 leagues already going under. If it wasn’t for the USSF, Canadian SF, and Mexican SF proping up the NWSL by paying for their national team players salaries....a 3rd league would have already folded.

Last edited:
Back