Girls Development Academy

I used to be so hung up on my DD learning possession soccer and trying to find that team. What I learned in the process after so many years is a player learning multiple ways to play is beneficial, may it be possession, direct, or defensive counter attacking soccer. Why, because the vast majority of universities do NOT play possession soccer.

Looking back what I overlooked as well as other parents is their DDs developing into a 2 way player.

Agree. As long as my DD does not develop into a 3-way until she moves out of the house.

Looking back what I overlooked as well as other parents is their DDs developing into a 2 way player.

After one of my DD's best games as a forward, with multiple assists, a goal off a header, several quality crosses and well-placed direct kicks, and some creative passing with very few turnovers, I asked one of the most experienced coaches in women's soccer, someone who has coached more national team players than anyone who is/was not an actual WNT coach, and has sent as many girls on to college as any current coach in Socal, and who had watched her play, what my daughter needed to get to the next level. In truth, I thought it a rhetorical question and he would tell me she was ready. His answer -- "She needs to work on her defending."

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/201...6gnt-will-travel-to-belgium-for-three-matches

Congrats to the 4 SoCal players named to the roster! That is 20% of the team!! Funny how 3 of the 4 players play for Arsenal which will not be getting ECNL. I bet Legends have been hounding them non stop to be part of their GDA team. It doesn't seem like they need it.

Congrats to the four So Cal players that made the team. I am especially interested in the 04 that made the team. Any idea which player? I wonder why US Soccer would place the 04 on the GU16 team versus the GU15 team? Speaking along the same lines, why are the 03's not playing on the GU15 team?

I meant that won't be getting GDA and that they will be playing ECNL this year. Sorry sometimes I am typing on a phone and not a computer or tablet and I type something that isn't that clear.
Not such a bad thing, right? Arsenal plays a more direct style, don't they?

Congrats to the four So Cal players that made the team. I am especially interested in the 04 that made the team. Any idea which player? I wonder why US Soccer would place the 04 on the GU16 team versus the GU15 team? Speaking along the same lines, why are the 03's not playing on the GU15 team?

They might want to see how the 04 plays with the U16s. The way US soccer decides who plays in what age group is, shall we say, "fluid"

I used to be so hung up on my DD learning possession soccer and trying to find that team. What I learned in the process after so many years is a player learning multiple ways to play is beneficial, may it be possession, direct, or defensive counter attacking soccer. Why, because the vast majority of universities do NOT play possession soccer.

Dude do not beat yourself up for the possession factor. If your kid can play possession any other style can be learned. Possession teaches all the technical skills which become the tools of the game. It is not true for the opposite. Your last sentence sums it up. If possession could be taught so easily than all the colleges would be doing it right? And most of them learned the opposite from their wonderful ECNL environment. Just look at our past ODP teams that dominate everyone. A few could play possession but most had no clue. Our teams could have been off the charts with the talent but most weren't taught possession so we always would end up with sort a possession. Your kid will be fine. Oh yeah and in my kids review? We want you to be Busquets and Xavi but most importantly? We want you to play nasty defense!

I agree being versatile with Direct v. Possession but at the end of the day I want my DD playing for a possession coach. She will get 4/5 times more touches in a game v Direct. I also believe it's much easier to learn Direct v . Possession. My DD can do either one but it took much longer to learn nuances of possession soccer. Again, at the end of day she's more versatile.

Dude do not beat yourself up for the possession factor. If your kid can play possession any other style can be learned. Possession teaches all the technical skills which become the tools of the game. It is not true for the opposite. Your last sentence sums it up. If possession could be taught so easily than all the colleges would be doing it right? And most of them learned the opposite from their wonderful ECNL environment. Just look at our past ODP teams that dominate everyone. A few could play possession but most had no clue. Our teams could have been off the charts with the talent but most weren't taught possession so we always would end up with sort a possession. Your kid will be fine. Oh yeah and in my kids review? We want you to be Busquets and Xavi but most importantly? We want you to play nasty defense!

My kid's review wanted her to take more risks. Especially regarding switching the field and chipping the back line when they are out of position.

I hear you! IMO, the closest team my DD played on which resembled anything to a possession style was her Cal-South ODP team and I attribute that to the talent on the team.

I agree being versatile with Direct v. Possession but at the end of the day I want my DD playing for a possession coach. She will get 4/5 times more touches in a game v Direct. I also believe it's much easier to learn Direct v . Possession. My DD can do either one but it took much longer to learn nuances of possession soccer. Again, at the end of day she's more versatile.
True, as long as a player has the 1st touch, skill and IQ. They can learn possession style of play. Example, IMO Luca Modric from Real Madrid has the abilities to play for Barca.

Back