GIRLS DAII

I'm confused by the confusion. From a "Club" perspective, it really does make a lot of sense to have all these insulated leagues. Very similar to a mattress store putting a tag with a different name on the same mattress as it's competitor, they have no desire to actually compete on substance when parents are perfectly content to pay for the smoke and mirrors that clubs are selling.

Unfortunately today, parents want and need a scapegoat to blame when something goes wrong with little Susie's life plan (that her parents have scripted on her behalf) and clubs are happy to step in and assume that liability as the complaints only get lodged once the customer has reached the end of their life cycle.

In other words, clubs have no interest in top teams playing each other and the parents don't need their bragging rights diminished by reality so we can all expect things to remain the same for the foreseeable future. Only in club soccer can you have so many "National Champions" and nobody question it.

Put in perspective, what would the parents dishing out $3,000 a year for their DD's DA 2 team think if they were to play, and lose to, a $300 a year Flight 2 team? Anyone who thinks those $300 a year teams don't exist or that a DA 2 team could never lose to a Flight 2 team has their head in the sand. Fortunately for those fragile parents, the Clubs are aware of this possibility and have insulated your delicate egos by making certain that your DA 2 team (and your egos) will be protected from barbarians at the gate.

Ask yourself one simple question. Is there really any reason that we can't have open leagues based on a promotion/relegation model that truly identifies the best of the best?

Ask yourself one simple question. Is there really any reason that we can't have open leagues based on a promotion/relegation model that truly identifies the best of the best?

The answer you will be given is that the "win at all costs" behavior and mentality this league structure rewards does not promote proper player development, so it does not belong in youth soccer.

And yet, every league, even the DA, rewards winning. But closed leagues lack outside accountability (even the worst performers can claim they are better than the uninvited), and they do not impose a the harsh penalty for losing. For the participating coaches and clubs, its a win/win.

I'm confused by the confusion. From a "Club" perspective, it really does make a lot of sense to have all these insulated leagues. Very similar to a mattress store putting a tag with a different name on the same mattress as it's competitor, they have no desire to actually compete on substance when parents are perfectly content to pay for the smoke and mirrors that clubs are selling.

Unfortunately today, parents want and need a scapegoat to blame when something goes wrong with little Susie's life plan (that her parents have scripted on her behalf) and clubs are happy to step in and assume that liability as the complaints only get lodged once the customer has reached the end of their life cycle.

In other words, clubs have no interest in top teams playing each other and the parents don't need their bragging rights diminished by reality so we can all expect things to remain the same for the foreseeable future. Only in club soccer can you have so many "National Champions" and nobody question it.

Put in perspective, what would the parents dishing out $3,000 a year for their DD's DA 2 team think if they were to play, and lose to, a $300 a year Flight 2 team? Anyone who thinks those $300 a year teams don't exist or that a DA 2 team could never lose to a Flight 2 team has their head in the sand. Fortunately for those fragile parents, the Clubs are aware of this possibility and have insulated your delicate egos by making certain that your DA 2 team (and your egos) will be protected from barbarians at the gate.

Okay, first of all, where is the $300 a year flight 2 team?? Are you talking AYSO because that is the only venue I know of that costs less than a grand. If there is a $300 flight 2 team let us know and we can all sign up.

Once again, it all boils down to: find your coach- find one who is committed to your child, and who you feel can develop them. Find your team- one who is in sync with your child.

Team promotion and relegation is completely contrary to any notion of individual player development on the youth level. Let's just take one position, Goalie, as the most glaring example: Your Keeper is just learning to play out of the back, and rolls the ball out to the opposing forward 3 times giving up crucial game-losing goals, hence you lose and are... what... relegated??? If so, the coach, who needs wins to keep his team in the "Gold" bracket, tells your keeper to stop trying to roll it out and just punt it. That keeper learns nothing, and is INDIVIDUALLY relegated to NO COLLEGE, because they never learned to play soccer. Take that all the way down the field, because that is what you are suggesting as a model.

DA2 benefit: A license coaching teaching the mandated US Soccer style. Ability to increase the practice load while going to high school. Being seen by DA coaches in the system they need players for.

The DA curriculum and play style is different than ECNL. Not all great players at ECNL or any other league are an automatic fits for this system. The girls whose personalities fit the demands of the system are different.

Okay, first of all, where is the $300 a year flight 2 team?? Are you talking AYSO because that is the only venue I know of that costs less than a grand. If there is a $300 flight 2 team let us know and we can all sign up.

Once again, it all boils down to: find your coach- find one who is committed to your child, and who you feel can develop them. Find your team- one who is in sync with your child.

Team promotion and relegation is completely contrary to any notion of individual player development on the youth level. Let's just take one position, Goalie, as the most glaring example: Your Keeper is just learning to play out of the back, and rolls the ball out to the opposing forward 3 times giving up crucial game-losing goals, hence you lose and are... what... relegated??? If so, the coach, who needs wins to keep his team in the "Gold" bracket, tells your keeper to stop trying to roll it out and just punt it. That keeper learns nothing, and is INDIVIDUALLY relegated to NO COLLEGE, because they never learned to play soccer. Take that all the way down the field, because that is what you are suggesting as a model.

Following your anecdote, while it depends on the age group, one might argue that a goalie should be learning how to play out of the back in practices (now 4 times a week under the DA model) and during scrimmages, not during games that matter, which are there to teach other skills including how to problem solve, play under pressure, and even win. The overall way a team plays depends very little on the league, and a lot on the coach, in my experience.

But I understand there are different points of view on what role league games should play, and in that way we likely differ. However, taking this back to the DA2 discussion, one of the things a promotion/relegation system produces is more competitive balance in games. Now, I accept that another way to re-create that balance is through scarcity, meaning create a top league that will attract the best players, limit the number of participants, and with luck the best will end up playing against each other.

Unfortunately, that arguement falls apart when it comes to the DA2/DPL (as the EGSL showed). Trying to create competitive balance will be a challenge, and these teams are likely going to have to find that elsewhere, as some clubs are able to produce true "reserve" teams, while others struggle to compete.

DA2 benefit: A license coaching teaching the mandated US Soccer style. Ability to increase the practice load while going to high school. Being seen by DA coaches in the system they need players for.

The DA curriculum and play style is different than ECNL. Not all great players at ECNL or any other league are an automatic fits for this system. The girls whose personalities fit the demands of the system are different.

I love this perspective @C.A.M. but I have to be honest you when I ask what is US Soccer's style of play? My player has been to many YNT camps and has also competed against YNT teams and for the life of me I haven't seen a lot of consistency in anything other than fitness testing at the beginning of camp.

I love this perspective @C.A.M. but I have to be honest you when I ask what is US Soccer's style of play? My player has been to many YNT camps and has also competed against YNT teams and for the life of me I haven't seen a lot of consistency in anything other than fitness testing at the beginning of camp.
Church

Following your anecdote, while it depends on the age group, one might argue that a goalie should be learning how to play out of the back in practices (now 4 times a week under the DA model) and during scrimmages, not during games that matter, which are there to teach other skills including how to problem solve, play under pressure, and even win. The overall way a team plays depends very little on the league, and a lot on the coach, in my experience.

But I understand there are different points of view on what role league games should play, and in that way we likely differ. However, taking this back to the DA2 discussion, one of the things a promotion/relegation system produces is more competitive balance in games. Now, I accept that another way to re-create that balance is through scarcity, meaning create a top league that will attract the best players, limit the number of participants, and with luck the best will end up playing against each other.

Unfortunately, that arguement falls apart when it comes to the DA2/DPL (as the EGSL showed). Trying to create competitive balance will be a challenge, and these teams are likely going to have to find that elsewhere, as some clubs are able to produce true "reserve" teams, while others struggle to compete.

US Soccer has given the DAs documented instructions on the formations to use, ways they want the positions to perform, areas of the field they expect to see certain play style in (Keepers passing out the back, etc...). They have objectives for play style and execution to go along with the 4 day practice and limited game schedule.

My girl is at a DA with great ambition to make this work and has transparency so we have been working on these things for 2-3 months as our team is forming and solidifying. The club sent us exactly what they were given to work and expect the players to be aware of the way positions are named, what is expected of each position and how to execute play style. It is not mandatory this is followed but "highly suggested".

The reason is they want to be able to call up any player in the DA system and have them immediately integrate into what the national teams will be doing going forward.

I know you and Driver have seen the issues. I just know they are very serious about this project and are not taking it lightly. I would also throw out, they didn't just make up their mind to make the DA. The tried to get ECNL on board since it has been the top dog and when they refused they didn't hesitate to do it without them. If that isn't serious, I don't know what is.

US Soccer has given the DAs documented instructions on the formations to use, ways they want the positions to perform, areas of the field they expect to see certain play style in (Keepers passing out the back, etc...). They have objectives for play style and execution to go along with the 4 day practice and limited game schedule.

My girl is at a DA with great ambition to make this work and has transparency so we have been working on these things for 2-3 months as our team is forming and solidifying. The club sent us exactly what they were given to work and expect the players to be aware of the way positions are named, what is expected of each position and how to execute play style. It is not mandatory this is followed but "highly suggested".

The reason is they want to be able to call up any player in the DA system and have them immediately integrate into what the national teams will be doing going forward.

I know you and Driver have seen the issues. I just know they are very serious about this project and are not taking it lightly. I would also throw out, they didn't just make up their mind to make the DA. The tried to get ECNL on board since it has been the top dog and when they refused they didn't hesitate to do it without them. If that isn't serious, I don't know what is.
Boys Soccer = US Soccer DA = MLS teams = shit soccer

My buddy who has 02 son playing Boys DA... told me, the vast majority of boys DA teams play direct over the top.

US style of play will NEVER be possession like Spain/Barca or a Japan womens team.

You had me until the last paragraph @C.A.M. I know for a fact that they did not consult the ECNL and actually tried to go around them (the ECNL had a meeting with them trying to collaborate and were shut out). The prior paragraph was interesting too. When you are talking about integrating into what the YNT is doing again my player has been to many, many camps and has competed internationally and I have yet to see a consistent "style of play." I am optimistic that your player's club is trying to strictly adhere to what is being taught. We will definitely see. Again I am a parent of an older player so pardon my skepticism. Good luck to you and your player.

My buddy who has 02 son playing Boys DA... told me, the vast majority of boys DA teams play direct over the top.

US style of play will NEVER be possession like Spain/Barca or a Japan womens team.

I am somewhat skeptical about "style of play" as well...

Especially after watching the U17 and U20 WWC, the U23's play the NWSL teams and the full WNT against pretty much any opponent in the top 12 in the world (the "real" competition).

Not what I see being taught to the youngers or the girls.

I understand where you all are coming from. I am just telling you what we are being given for information and what I am.seeing first hand being implemented by my 03 Girls and 06 Boys DAs. May be the switch is on.

Not what I see being taught to the youngers or the girls.

I hope so. I look forward to seeing the changes coming down the pipeline. I can tell you that none of the 3 club players that they are trying to push onto the full national team are extremely technical. They fit the standard mold of fast, athletic players that they have always pushed up through the system. Those players are 17/18 years old and if they continue pushing them up (regardless of how they perform) they are going to be the cornerstones of any national team these new GDA players would be joining and I can tell you with them as cornerstones you are not looking at a possession style team. These players are '01's and an '00 so they will be playing with your daughter's age group soon enough.

I am somewhat skeptical about "style of play" as well...

Especially after watching the U17 and U20 WWC, the U23's play the NWSL teams and the full WNT against pretty much any opponent in the top 12 in the world (the "real" competition).
And I have a technical smaller DD and I use to have the same "hope" for a more technical game. The younger parents will learn.

I understand where you all are coming from. I am just telling you what we are being given for information and what I am.seeing first hand being implemented by my 03 Girls and 06 Boys DAs. May be the switch is on.

Time will tell, but I for one won't be holding my breath.

I hope so. I look forward to seeing the changes coming down the pipeline. I can tell you that none of the 3 club players that they are trying to push onto the full national team are extremely technical. They fit the standard mold of fast, athletic players that they have always pushed up through the system. Those players are 17/18 years old and if they continue pushing them up (regardless of how they perform) they are going to be the cornerstones of any national team these new GDA players would be joining and I can tell you with them as cornerstones you are not looking at a possession style team. These players are '01's and an '00 so they will be playing with your daughter's age group soon enough.

I know. Same for the U15 girls. Those girls are not made for possession based games either. My daughter gets frustrated and I tell her what I have always said - If you want to be on those teams, you have to play their style also. She just doesn't want to.

Either way she loves high level soccer and the DA fits her. She can still get a scholarship and become the doctor she aspires to be if the US Teams don't pan out.

I also know a great defender in the U20 pool who is always invited and passed over and is burned out by the process. We all know they have their favorites. The only thing that will change it is the constant losing and struggle we are seeing at the U16-18 where the midfield is so bad we put up 2-3 goals in 6 games. Luckily the defense is lock down.

And I have a technical smaller DD and I use to have the same "hope" for a more technical game. The younger parents will learn.

Mine is 5-6 150, no fat, extra strong and lightning fast who simply hates playing kickball. She can play every outfield position but prefers the 6 & 8. She guested with her new clubs 01s this weekend and looked like one of them physically. Her 03 DA team is full of girls who think and play as she does. I guess we are back to get in where you fit in right?

I should have married a Japanese lady so she could play on a national team that would fit her. My wife is gonna read that and kill me. Lol.

I know. Same for the U15 girls. Those girls are not made for possession based games either. My daughter gets frustrated and I tell her what I have always said - If you want to be on those teams, you have to play their style also. She just doesn't want to.

Either way she loves high level soccer and the DA fits her. She can still get a scholarship and become the doctor she aspires to be if the US Teams don't pan out.

I also know a great defender in the U20 pool who is always invited and passed over and is burned out by the process. We all know they have their favorites. The only thing that will change it is the constant losing and struggle we are seeing at the U16-18 where the midfield is so bad we put up 2-3 goals in 6 games. Luckily the defense is lock down.

I'm not really convinced that youth national teams are even needed. I see several players in the pool that aren't going to contribute very much in college yet they are in the U20 pool. The players sort it out on the field and a good coach recognizes what works. With the direction the women's side of US Soccer is going I would say that come 2021 we will be looking out a significant house cleaning.

Back