TFA OC Mora
LA Surf GA
East County Surf E64

Super White
Eagles ECRL
LAFC ECRL
SD Force DPL
4th Team Pending
Is it me or does it seem that less teams are coming out to top tournaments anymore?

Is it me or does it seem that less teams are coming out to top tournaments anymore?
After U12 top teams retreat into closed leagues which guarantee their club wins. Hence ECNL/GA regional leagues.

The top teams do tournaments but they're rebranded as Showcases + only the clubs from the different regional closed leagues of the same kind attend

The close leagues also have a "league of leagues" where the best of each regional league plays each other.

Sometimes you'll get teams from different closed leagues playing each other like in Surf Cup. But this is the exception more than the rule. Also going forward there's a very good chance that clubs stop attending all tournaments where teams from different leagues play each other. The reason for this is because XYZ team might have had a bad day + lose to 123 team in whichever closed league. Because they rarely play each other closed league A is now perceived "better" than closed league B.

The Net is that with closed leagues clubs potentially risk too much playing against teams in other closed leagues. Because of this is easier to just play against teams within the closed leagues.

After U12 top teams retreat into closed leagues which guarantee their club wins. Hence ECNL/GA regional leagues.

The top teams do tournaments but they're rebranded as Showcases + only the clubs from the different regional closed leagues of the same kind attend

The close leagues also have a "league of leagues" where the best of each regional league plays each other.

Sometimes you'll get teams from different closed leagues playing each other like in Surf Cup. But this is the exception more than the rule. Also going forward there's a very good chance that clubs stop attending all tournaments where teams from different leagues play each other. The reason for this is because XYZ team might have had a bad day + lose to 123 team in whichever closed league. Because they rarely play each other closed league A is now perceived "better" than closed league B.

The Net is that with closed leagues clubs potentially risk too much playing against teams in other closed leagues. Because of this is easier to just play against teams within the closed leagues.
The other factor is injuries. Five games in three days is a lot of wear and tear on your starters.

Three games in three days is simply a more appealing format as the kids get older.

Looks like we have some preliminary brackets being released for Thanksgiving:

For Surf College Cup the top bracket consists of 6 teams:

Best of the best

Bracket A
SoCal Blues ECNL
Eagles ECNL
San Diego Surf ECNL

Bracket B
Rebels ECNL
Phoenix Rising ECNL
Sacramento United SC GA

That's a rough draw for the Bracket B teams.

Wow I just came across this on my Instagram feed. Eagles pulled it off. Went 4-0 this weekend. Beating San Diego surf twice this weekend. 2-1 on Saturday and 3-0 today in the finals. :D Right after playing and beating the Blues 1-0 a few hours before. This is very impressive. And I’m sure they will be ranked #1 in the country after this. Could we all say they may just be the best team at this moment? Thoughts…E6C8E3EA-9EF3-48D5-8D22-F5F539775C39.jpeg

Wow I just came across this on my Instagram feed. Eagles pulled it off. Went 4-0 this weekend. Beating San Diego surf twice this weekend. 2-1 on Saturday and 3-0 today in the finals. :D Right after playing and beating the Blues 1-0 a few hours before. This is very impressive. And I’m sure they will be ranked #1 in the country after this. Could we all say they may just be the best team at this moment? Thoughts…View attachment 15126
No doubt they are the new top dog in CA, if not the nation. Does anyone know if they had 2 girls guest playing from Solar? I thought someone had mentioned something like that.

No doubt they are the new top dog in CA, if not the nation. Does anyone know if they had 2 girls guest playing from Solar? I thought someone had mentioned something like that.

I got word they had 2 Solar players. One of them being Solar’s top midfielder. Question is now could they have done it without them?

Did not watch the final but stuck around with my DD to see the Saturday primetime match against Surf. A lot of credit has to go the Eagles coach for changing the tactics when they were down 1-0 at half time. Eagles dropped their most dangerous player deep and it completely changed the game. #20 is something else...

Did not watch the final but stuck around with my DD to see the Saturday primetime match against Surf. A lot of credit has to go the Eagles coach for changing the tactics when they were down 1-0 at half time. Eagles dropped their most dangerous player deep and it completely changed the game. #20 is something else...

a lot of these games are like chess matches. Moving a key player in the right place at the right time can totally change the outcome of these games. #20 is quite the forward and I heard she damaged surf. But I also heard she was neutralized by Blues completely shut down.

a lot of these games are like chess matches. Moving a key player in the right place at the right time can totally change the outcome of these games. #20 is quite the forward and I heard she damaged surf. But I also heard she was neutralized by Blues completely shut down.
I don't know much about this age group. I happened to be there and heard that the two top 2010 teams in the nation were playing. I am sure Blues has great talent as they do in every age group capable of neutralizing players

Got to watch both the surf vs eagles and eagles vs Blues game. Let’s put it this way. If Surf plays their ECNL line up and not their tournament line up. They don’t lose to the Eagles. Eagles played to win, Surf played to develop their bench. However Blues played to win vs Eagles. If Blues forwards finished their clear opportunities in the first half it would have been a total different game. Blues should have won that game. However the only thing I have to say about the eagles is that they wanted it more. They definitely brought the energy. It’s been years since they won a major tournament like surf cup.

Last but not least. I gotta give a mention to the Eagles goalie. Best goalie in so cal for the 2010 age group. She’s the major reason Eagles won vs Blues. Blues goalie… hmm very questionable, especially the taller goalie I don’t know what happened to her. Looks like she needs to train more. Very late to react on plays and dives are questionable.

Back