G05 CAS Rankings

I can't speak for any other teams and obviously some experts on the subject must know more than me, but I know our team took the games fairly seriously. Obviously it being spring league and most of these teams first real games with the new age group there was a lot of player movement and experimenting going on, but I don't know that should be considered as non serious games. Scdsl is based on developing and not supposed to have emphasis on winning, so would that also be considered non serious? I'm not one to say what you should and shouldn't track. All that you are doing is great and much appreciated, I'm just throwing in my 2 cents on the spring league from my perspective.
I would concur with Willy, not sure what constitutes a serious game and what constitutes a non-serious game. Maybe the best route is to hear from the “subject matter experts” on this board as to what dictates which games, tournaments or leagues are considered serious versus trivial. Again, I appreciate you putting this together.

Was 9v9 small field Surf Cup a serious event? If so, seems an 05 team that plays up and wins a tournament(or comes close) on a big field against 04s, deserves a little credit -- but what do I know--I am most definitely not a "subject matter expert." :p

But seriously, thanks for your time and efforts TangoCity! Honestly, I think 05s will need to take this whole season with a grain of salt and a good sense of humor.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I was advised by some of the subject matter experts on these boards in private conversations not to go back and include EGSL Spring games as they were not considered serious games. I was told just going back to the CRL Play-In games was the appropriate thing to do. If you feel otherwise then make an argument for it and maybe others can chime in as well. It will take a "very" good argument to change.

There already is a column that shows the previous weeks rankings. If you prefer another column showing +3 instead of the 17 and 14 then I can do that. Just let me know what format you want. I can't add too many columns otherwise the formatting gets messed up.
I'd probably concur that EGSL spring SHOULD be included. Every team was new, and every team was likely tinkering with rosters, rotations etc. I don't know why you wouldn't include those games. In any event, I'd guess that the teams that owned the spring league are the same teams that owned the big tournaments this summer.

"everybody" is a broad generalization. Some people take them too seriously, others don't care at all, most are somewhere right in the middle. I like to look at these, but basic common sense tells you that none of these numbers really matter (People who don't realize that now will never realize that). I don't see anything on these boards where anyone was getting overly sensitive on the subject. On the contrary it seemed to be informative opinions from different people and was all in good taste. I'm pretty sure we have all seen 1,000 times worse on peoples personal top 10 lists that had zero data behind it on our old forum.

I think if everybody takes these rankings a little less seriously, and more as a general guide or an entertaining conversation piece than the "official" last word on our daughters' teams and their futures, we'll be better able to enjoy them for what they are for... fun.

Thanks Tango for your hard work!
Ajax, just asked about adding games in which to me would give a more complete picture. To me adding these games would not be a difficult process since the data is all CalSouth teams and are all on one page. If you don’t want people to take this seriously why bother to post them in the first place since the rankings are only based on “serious” games.

Ajax, just asked about adding games in which to me would give a more complete picture. To me adding these games would not be a difficult process since the data is all CalSouth teams and are all on one page. If you don’t want people to take this seriously why bother to post them in the first place since the rankings are only based on “serious” games.

Maybe i am wrong maybe i am not but EGSL Spring games were played with girls that were from B teams girls trying out from different clubs, a lot of girls were doing softball and other things. I know of several players that didn't take part in the EGSL spring games do to over usage by there parents. I am willing to bet that the kids that did EGSL Spring games a third of them are not on the current roster of said clubs. Ranking`s are for fun, take them with a grain of salt, as a parent i know who the top teams are. Most likely you have already played against most of the top teams this summer and can form your own top twenty in your head. Tango thanks for doing the ranking`s it nice to look at when i am bored at work.

Eagles has lost one player and added one player since EGSL spring. Basically the same team.

Good god, never mind. Simple request to include spring games and I get responses about “serious games”, taking things too seriously, girls sitting out the spring, not the same team rosters played spring, etc… Tango, thanks again for putting in the work.

What the heck, my two cents...

I have no doubt some teams played with their full rosters and have been the same team since immediately after State Cup, but my opinion is that is probably the exception rather than the rule.

That time of year is infamous for girls playing softball and other sports. You have Strikers who is well respected and uses EGSL as an opportunity to merge both their White & Black teams for EGSL for player evaluation. You also have the kids that honored their commitments to their clubs and were trying out for teams after State Cup before summer rolls around, and like others have pointed out you have families that take into account that this is probably the slowest time of year for soccer and were taking a much needed break.

Outside of the inception of EGSL, the months between State Cup and the Summer Tournaments (Beginning in May) has been regarded by most to be the "preseason" at the youngers. CSL and SCDSL Spring Leagues have never been an attractive draw for teams, and EGSL had to dangle incentives to get clubs and teams to come out and play earlier than usual in an attempt to promote the league.

Having said all that, I concur with @stork71 in that this was a request to see about expanding on the current data set for the rankings and it started to turn into something else. Thank goodness for @ajaxahi firing some friendly shots to lighten up the mood!

I think what gets lost is that @TangoCity was looking for a simple beginning marker to input the data for the rankings. All this conjecture about the validity of EGSL could be a mute point if inputting the data proves to be more problematic for the guy putting in the work to provide this "freebie" to the group.

What the heck, my two cents...

I have no doubt some teams played with their full rosters and have been the same team since immediately after State Cup, but my opinion is that is probably the exception rather than the rule.

That time of year is infamous for girls playing softball and other sports. You have Strikers who is well respected and uses EGSL as an opportunity to merge both their White & Black teams for EGSL for player evaluation. You also have the kids that honored their commitments to their clubs and were trying out for teams after State Cup before summer rolls around, and like others have pointed out you have families that take into account that this is probably the slowest time of year for soccer and were taking a much needed break.

Outside of the inception of EGSL, the months between State Cup and the Summer Tournaments (Beginning in May) has been regarded by most to be the "preseason" at the youngers. CSL and SCDSL Spring Leagues have never been an attractive draw for teams, and EGSL had to dangle incentives to get clubs and teams to come out and play earlier than usual in an attempt to promote the league.

Having said all that, I concur with @stork71 in that this was a request to see about expanding on the current data set for the rankings and it started to turn into something else. Thank goodness for @ajaxahi firing some friendly shots to lighten up the mood!

I think what gets lost is that @TangoCity was looking for a simple beginning marker to input the data for the rankings. All this conjecture about the validity of EGSL could be a mute point if inputting the data proves to be more problematic for the guy putting in the work to provide this "freebie" to the group.

By now it must be clear to our good man TangoCity that no good deed goes unpunished in this life. He has chosen for himself the Sisyphean task of building a rankings system that is, by his own account, incomplete at best. Some would like to see the EGSL games counted, likely those folks whose own teams did well. Others feel that results against non-SoCal teams, earned in major tourney(s), should also count. Both of these points have merit, IMHO. As long as the established ranking services such as Youth Soccer Rankings USA (which has already indicated they will be using results originated on or after 8-1-16,) and Got Soccer (which uses results going back well over a year ago, when one may not even recognize current vs. previous rosters,) there will be no consensus approval. Might be wise, as many have suggested, to let the season roll on toward the winter holidays before taking any of this too seriously.

Ajax. come on, you only like this because of who is numero uno. :)
(Smiley face means I am kidding haha)

And once again, all kidding aside, am thankful to have it for the sake of fun debate on the boards.

Updated CAS G05 rankings as of 9/5 have been updated.

http://coachingkidssoccer.blogspot.com/2016/09/cas-g05-youth-soccer-rankings-3.html

Rankings for the teams that have a higher sample size are starting to get stable. Teams move up in the rankings by beating a team by more than predicted (by Solver) or losing by less than expected. Teams with smaller sample sizes of games can also move up or down based off of the strength of schedule of teams they have played in the past improving.

A special thanks to our anonymous poster who is tracking G05 scores for me.

Back