FRAM FC NUNEZ STATE CUP RUN

Congrats to the girls, but I do wonder why a 2nd place Silver team chose to play in the Governors division?
Just one guess ... its where Cal South recommends CSL Silver teams play. Silver Elite is to play at Presidents, but Silver is a Governors division. Given the fact they were 2nd place, it would have been inappropriate to play up (unless an early exist was the goal).

CSL didn't have a Silver Elite division for 2008 Girls. Silver was the highest for 2008. I saw Empire and Fullerton from CSL make it past the first round. Either way congrats to FRAM. Well deserved.

Based on the Round of 16 and above results, Fram won every game by 1 point, including the final that went to PKs. It looks like Fram was playing the correct level.

Here are some statistics concerning the G2008 Governor's Cup:

• Only one bronze team participated (my own Boca Jrs. G2008 squad). The fine Strikers FC OC White team in the video beat us in the round of 16 by a score of 2-1.
  • I believe only about three flight 3 teams participated.
  • A couple of flight 1 teams participated.
  • All the rest were either CSL Silver or SCDSL flight 2.
  • The final-four consisted of 4 CSL Silver teams: FRAM, Worldwide, LA Premier, and South Valley.
  • The CSL Silver teams in President's Cup performed well.
  • This suggests to me that the CSL Silver level teams - at least where there are no Silver Elite brackets - should ordinarily be playing in the Presidents Cup.
  • SCDSL Flight 2 teams should ordinarily be playing in the Governor's Cup.

I don't believe this statement "The CSL Silver teams in President's Cup performed well" for the G2008 level is accurate. It appears that only 1 CSL team made it to the Quarter Finals (1 out of 8) ... and the final for Presidents cup was between two SCDSL teams (one Flight 1 and the other Flight 3?). If all but 1 CSL team at this level can't make it to the Quarters then playing in Governors Cup makes sense, especially for those teams that didn't dominate their Silver bracket (i.e. 2nd place and below).

I think the results of both the Governors Cup and Presidents Cup make a pretty strong case that CSL Silver teams that dominate should play in Presidents Cup with the SDDA and SCDSL Flight 1 teams that were top level. The rests of CSL Silver (2nd place and below finishers) and SCDSL Flight 1 bottom finishers should play in Governors Cup. So I think that Cal South basically has it right.

I think CSL performed well. CSL had 4 Silver teams entered out of 25 teams, which is about 16% of the teams in the group. It slightly outperformed that percentage in the round of 16, having 3 teams (18.75%) advance. It slightly underperformed in the round of 8, having 1 team (12.5%) advance. All-in-all, I think CSL performed at or near its statistical expectations, so I say they performed "well."

As to your other point, that "only" the 1st place CSL finishers should be in the President's Cup, I have to disagree. But I could see going down to the top 4. If all four semi-finalists in the Governor's Cup came from the CSL Silver bracket, then there was either a remarkable statistical anomaly, or the silver teams were playing below their level.
A number of teams playing Presidents should have been playing Governors and a number of teams playing Governors should have been playing Presidents. Cal South should do a sanity check of where teams really belong rather than just put them in where they apply.

Here are some statistics concerning the G2008 Governor's Cup:

• Only one bronze team participated (my own Boca Jrs. G2008 squad). The fine Strikers FC OC White team in the video beat us in the round of 16 by a score of 2-1.
  • I believe only about three flight 3 teams participated.
  • A couple of flight 1 teams participated.
  • All the rest were either CSL Silver or SCDSL flight 2.
  • The final-four consisted of 4 CSL Silver teams: FRAM, Worldwide, LA Premier, and South Valley.
  • The CSL Silver teams in President's Cup performed well.
  • This suggests to me that the CSL Silver level teams - at least where there are no Silver Elite brackets - should ordinarily be playing in the Presidents Cup.
  • SCDSL Flight 2 teams should ordinarily be playing in the Governor's Cup.
It all depends on what the team is looking for in this end-of-year tournament; either good competition with a chance to win the tournament (and a claim to be the 25th best in soCal), or a chance to see how you stack up against the best in your age group but without a real shot to make it through to the final weekend. I don’t have a problem with either for borderline teams as I am sure different teams have different goals. It would be different if a team was playing down and destroying the competition, or playing up and getting crushed each game. My guess is the girls don't even know that they played in a lower level tournament compared to Presidents and are quite happy with the way the season ended...which should be what it is mostly about at 9 years-olds anyway.

Back