Foul question.

Scenario:
Fwd running towards goal, defender comes from behind kicks the ball away from her, never has contact with fwd. Fed falls to the ground, loses balance? Trips? Not sure. Defender runs the ball wide and turns up field when whistle blows and foul is called. I didn't know a foul could be called when there was no contact between the players. She stole the ball from in front of her. Fwd fell on her accord. Am I missing something? I will be the first to admit I am not too familiar with the rules so I thought I'd ask in here.

A foul is only a foul when the referee calls it.
Sometimes they are right, sometimes they are wrong.

A foul is a foul when a player's actions violate the restrictions laid out in the Laws of the Game, whether the referee calls it or not. They make up for the ones they miss by calling a few that didn't happen.

I can see that you're being facetious and hopefully the light hearted post has helped ease the pain. As I'm sure you know, the referee (or the assistant) was convinced that there had been contact that was a careless trip. Maybe he/she was correct and maybe not.

A referee isn't going to call a direct free kick foul in this instance unless they think there was contact, and what you describe doesn't sound like it would have been considered dangerous play, which would have been an indirect free kick. The officials were probably just as convinced that there was contact as you appear to be that there wasn't. Hopefully they were in a good position to see what happened. It sounds like it might have been a quick break-away, which can leave the center referee out of position down field running back depending on what the run of play was prior. In that case, it would be more likely be the assistant that recommended the call. Sometimes mistakes happen, more often they don't and either way life goes on!!

Scenario:
Fwd running towards goal, defender comes from behind kicks the ball away from her, never has contact with fwd. Fed falls to the ground, loses balance? Trips? Not sure. Defender runs the ball wide and turns up field when whistle blows and foul is called. I didn't know a foul could be called when there was no contact between the players. She stole the ball from in front of her. Fwd fell on her accord. Am I missing something? I will be the first to admit I am not too familiar with the rules so I thought I'd ask in here.
there's no way to answer this without seeing it. two things at play here. one, you're biased, whether you like it or not, and whether you're trying not to be or not. i'm still biased watching a game where i have a vested interest like my daughter playing. it's human nature. and, like gopher said, the call will depend a lot on where the there referees are positioned. if the center is straight lined, he likely "sees" a tackle from behind which is most often a tripping foul. can there be a perfect tackle from behind without tripping? sure. could the referee team have given a foul they "saw", when there actually wasn't any real contact? sure. could espola hate referees any more than he does? probably not.

Scenario:
There can still be a foul without contact, but based on your description, it appears there was no foul.

there's no way to answer this without seeing it. two things at play here. one, you're biased, whether you like it or not, and whether you're trying not to be or not. i'm still biased watching a game where i have a vested interest like my daughter playing. it's human nature. and, like gopher said, the call will depend a lot on where the there referees are positioned. if the center is straight lined, he likely "sees" a tackle from behind which is most often a tripping foul. can there be a perfect tackle from behind without tripping? sure. could the referee team have given a foul they "saw", when there actually wasn't any real contact? sure. could espola hate referees any more than he does? probably not.

What makes you think I hate referees? One son has been a referee for years and the other is in the process of becoming one. I have often had discussions with the older on why he made certain calls and didn't make others.

Thanks for the input, it didn't alter the outcome of the game at all. I was genuinely curious if a foul could be called without contact? For example if a player falls bc another steals a ball or runs in front if then cutting them off and throws them off balance? It was a quick breakaway, center ref was running behind players, line ref didn't call anything. Center ref did from his position behind them. I was off to the side in the shade, lol. Mistakes happen, refs are human. Not a big deal. I just wanted to know about the no contact part...Thx

The LOTG describe a number of fouls for which no contact with an opponent is required.

Direct free kick (DFK) fouls not requiring contact:
1. Attempt to trip an opponent
2. Attempt to strike an opponent
3. Attempt to kick an opponent

Indirect free kick (IFK or IDFK) fouls not requiring contact:
1. Impeding an opponent without making contact
2. Playing in a dangerous manner (PIADM)

The LOTG describe a number of fouls for which no contact with an opponent is required.

Direct free kick (DFK) fouls not requiring contact:
1. Attempt to trip an opponent
2. Attempt to strike an opponent
3. Attempt to kick an opponent

Indirect free kick (IFK or IDFK) fouls not requiring contact:
1. Impeding an opponent without making contact
2. Playing in a dangerous manner (PIADM)
Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for!

Back