Forearm braces

pc132

BRONZE
My DD has had a few broken bones in the past, and as a precaution, we'd like her to wear a forearm brace while she plays (like how some people wear knee braces). Some refs have allowed it, but others have not. Was wondering if there is some sort of best practice when it comes to using arm braces. The picture shows the ones we have been using. The one on top is an Exos brace (there was a plastic dial that stuck out, but I removed it and replaced with velcro straps). The one on the bottom is just a generic brace from the hospital. There is a metal part, which I pulled out for purposes of the picture.

Has anybody else dealt with this situation? Can anybody share what they have done?
20190304_161108.jpg

My DD has had a few broken bones in the past, and as a precaution, we'd like her to wear a forearm brace while she plays (like how some people wear knee braces). Some refs have allowed it, but others have not. Was wondering if there is some sort of best practice when it comes to using arm braces. The picture shows the ones we have been using. The one on top is an Exos brace (there was a plastic dial that stuck out, but I removed it and replaced with velcro straps). The one on the bottom is just a generic brace from the hospital. There is a metal part, which I pulled out for purposes of the picture.

Has anybody else dealt with this situation? Can anybody share what they have done?
View attachment 4112
The referee has to decide if it's safe. For me, either one is safe. I don't think the brace is harder than the bare arm.

Safe to both the player wearing the brace and the other players. Is it harder than flesh? Does it have any sharp edges or other features that could be harmful to another player? If the answer is no, then play with it. If the answer is yes, then take if off or sit on the bench. The metal sticking out of the brace on the bottom would be a no-go.

So are earrings.

Can we get some refs input here? I'm always curious as to their decision making process...seems like it varies and wondering if there are some unofficial standards that people can follow regarding cast/brace.

Can we get some refs input here? I'm always curious as to their decision making process...seems like it varies and wondering if there are some unofficial standards that people can follow regarding cast/brace.
I already provided my input. However, certain leagues like CSL has it in their competition rules that hard braces/casts are not allowed.

@Just a Parent...sorry, thought you were "just a parent" and not a ref :). So for SCDSL or tournaments is it pretty much up to the discretion of the ref for the particular game? Would you advise to visit the refs tent first for a tournament and get them to sign-off? Bring some extra foam in the car just in case?

@Just a Parent...sorry, thought you were "just a parent" and not a ref :). So for SCDSL or tournaments is it pretty much up to the discretion of the ref for the particular game? Would you advise to visit the refs tent first for a tournament and get them to sign-off? Bring some extra foam in the car just in case?
Yes. That is a very good idea. However, certain assignors advice their referees not to allow any sort of cast, basically imposing their opinions on referees so if you meet one of those you're basically out of luck. I usually advise referees to just follow law 4 of the LOTG. If they do that, they would allow most equipment except jewellery which is prohibited by the laws unlesd they were religious items and not dangerous to players or opponents.

Yes. That is a very good idea. However, certain assignors advice their referees not to allow any sort of cast, basically imposing their opinions on referees so if you meet one of those you're basically out of luck. I usually advise referees to just follow law 4 of the LOTG. If they do that, they would allow most equipment except jewellery which is prohibited by the laws unlesd they were religious items and not dangerous to players or opponents.

What "religious items" would you permit?

This?

kirpan.jpg

View attachment 4112

I would allow both braces even the lower one with the metal support as long as it was covered. A bare forearm or elbow is just as dangerous.

JAP has been on the board since it’s inception.

Back