First year for '05 DA discussion

I did not know the NorCal board was posting on this. Will check out.
Wow! On the NorCal board they are saying that SJE merged their teams on YSR to eliminate certain results. Probably to boost their rankings. But, why? SJE 05 are a DA team and paper results do not necessarily matter until next year.

I think the transition from NorCal premier to DA is not perfectly clean in the data. Also data entry errors happen.
Yes Quakes are a top NorCal team.

Wow! On the NorCal board they are saying that SJE merged their teams on YSR to eliminate certain results. Probably to boost their rankings. But, why? SJE 05 are a DA team and paper results do not necessarily matter until next year.

Um I wouldn’t take some of those posts too seriously. I seriously double Quakes gives a crap what their YSR ranking is.

I am not sure on that. There is a picture of the request by Quakes. If they didn't they would not ask for it.

Just can’t see why they would care. I do know they moved players around a lot during that time and several key players played up towards the end of last season. Someone from Quakes would have to add more I guess.

Just can’t see why they would care. I do know they moved players around a lot during that time and several key players played up towards the end of last season. Someone from Quakes would have to add more I guess.
I was wondering why they could care too. Seems like a of energy to make a team look good. I also just heard there was more than just one request for the removal of past results. So it sounds like they are continually doing this.

The quakes are relentless with this kind of ranking manipulation. It is thought that they use rankings to recruit players because their coach "deza" sucks. I can sincerely say I have never met the gentleman, and have seen some of his teams on video. Heard he is good for 12 and under players, but not so good after that age. Heard he is still using 20 year old techniques to train. So, they need the rankings to help validate their 05 team and thats why they/he spend so much time on it. The 04 on video looks great, and certainly deserve their rank. I welcome all thoughts and concerns.

The quakes are relentless with this kind of ranking manipulation. It is thought that they use rankings to recruit players because their coach "deza" sucks. I can sincerely say I have never met the gentleman, and have seen some of his teams on video. Heard he is good for 12 and under players, but not so good after that age. Heard he is still using 20 year old techniques to train. So, they need the rankings to help validate their 05 team and thats why they/he spend so much time on it. The 04 on video looks great, and certainly deserve their rank. I welcome all thoughts and concerns.
I believe I recognize your handle from the NorCal thread. And, you just joined here today. Not going to attack Deza. But, our girls have played their 05's and I felt they had an exceptional midfield and their passing schemes and movement off the ball were exceptional. Also, had the chance to watch a bit of the 04 game. Very good as well. What I do find interesting is the claim on ranking manipulation for recruitment. I would say relying on rankings to recruit players is superficial, especially in a closed league.

I believe I recognize your handle from the NorCal thread. And, you just joined here today. Not going to attack Deza. But, our girls have played their 05's and I felt they had an exceptional midfield and their passing schemes and movement off the ball were exceptional. Also, had the chance to watch a bit of the 04 game. Very good as well. What I do find interesting is the claim on ranking manipulation for recruitment. I would say relying on rankings to recruit players is superficial, especially in a closed league.

I agree they have a good midfield in addition to The two current leading goal scorers for that team. One is big, strong and fast (scored 4 last game), the other has good technical abilities (maybe scored 2 last game?). The latter roams all over the field in different positions, and is quite good and effective at it. I disagree with great ball mvmt and passing speed comment. What I see is that they attempt to one touch as much as possible, but not all the players possess the technical ability to play one touch with the desired effect. Similarly, They have a reactive defense that seems to play go fish (for any opponents coming close) rather than establishing and maintaining good defensive lines, nor do they development the ball from the back well. Tall CB is good technically, makes the correct decisions >80-90% of the times, but slow and appears to be afraid to make mistakes so she makes these small dump passes to the nearest player. That being said, They are still a good team but not the best coached team I have ever seen on video.

I agree they have a good midfield in addition to The two current leading goal scorers for that team. One is big, strong and fast (scored 4 last game), the other has good technical abilities (maybe scored 2 last game?). The latter roams all over the field in different positions, and is quite good and effective at it. I disagree with great ball mvmt and passing speed comment. What I see is that they attempt to one touch as much as possible, but not all the players possess the technical ability to play one touch with the desired effect. Similarly, They have a reactive defense that seems to play go fish (for any opponents coming close) rather than establishing and maintaining good defensive lines, nor do they development the ball from the back well. Tall CB is good technically, makes the correct decisions >80-90% of the times, but slow and appears to be afraid to make mistakes so she makes these small dump passes to the nearest player. That being said, They are still a good team but not the best coached team I have ever seen on video.
Yes the one forward is a prototypical built forward. Would like to see her used differently up top. I do believe I recall the other forward with some slippery footwork. We will have to disagree on the passing. Yet, it appears I have a smaller sample size when watching them. Though what I have seen supports my observations. Teams and coaches do change their style a bit for tactical purposes. Not sure if they do that or not. I do agree with you on their defensive scheme.

Yes the one forward is a prototypical built forward. Would like to see her used differently up top. I do believe I recall the other forward with some slippery footwork. We will have to disagree on the passing. Yet, it appears I have a smaller sample size when watching them. Though what I have seen supports my observations. Teams and coaches do change their style a bit for tactical purposes. Not sure if they do that or not. I do agree with you on their defensive scheme.

Therein lies the problem. His players just get bigger and faster. They'll improve with control, but their soccer IQ will not be better. The defense will not play better. There are coaches out there who think my bigger faster 11 will beat your 11. There's no strategy nor contingency plan for what if situations. Watch as many games as you'd like for quakes 05 and you'll see that they play the same way, winning or losing. The only thing he does differently is move that tricky player around to perceived weak spots of the opponent.

Therein lies the problem. His players just get bigger and faster. They'll improve with control, but their soccer IQ will not be better. The defense will not play better. There are coaches out there who think my bigger faster 11 will beat your 11. There's no strategy nor contingency plan for what if situations. Watch as many games as you'd like for quakes 05 and you'll see that they play the same way, winning or losing. The only thing he does differently is move that tricky player around to perceived weak spots of the opponent.
Obviously you are not a fan of Quakes and Deza. And, I would probably agree with you they more than likely play the same way each time with some player positional changes. Do you think most teams play to their style game in and game out? And, just change players around? Not referring to full formations like going from a 4-3-3 to a 4-4-2.

Obviously you are not a fan of Quakes and Deza. And, I would probably agree with you they more than likely play the same way each time with some player positional changes. Do you think most teams play to their style game in and game out? And, just change players around? Not referring to full formations like going from a 4-3-3 to a 4-4-2.

I'm not a fan of deza or coaches like deza because they do our girls a disservice. The quakes have good teams. Still, It's incumbent on these coaches to teach these young ladies how to play. It's more important than wins and losses at this stage. So coaches like that get these players with all the potential in the world, and they squander it. The coaches pride and vanity makes them focus on wins and losses more than developing the players. I do also understand that as a professional coach you also need to earn a living and that's supported by wins and losses. I suggested they should do both, earn a living and teach them how to play. So, they will get big fast players and overpower the opponents and win games. A coach of 9-12 yo girls can adopt that strategy and become quite successful. Once the girls start growing that dynamic changes, and the girls have to be re assessed. They can compensate for lets say lack of speed etc when they get older if at 9-12 the big and fast girls were taught how to play at that age. So deza has been in this arena for quite some time I am lead to believe and has a great rep as a coach. He has made no attempt to learn how to teach his girls how to play. The same way they played last year is the same way they will play every year going forward. Anyone watching those girls play should be offended at their evolution. Mark you, he isnt the only coach that does this, and i only mention deza in the general sense of coaches that does this.

I am not sure what you mean by this, so could you plz clarify?: Do you think most teams play to their style game in and game out? And, just change players around? Not referring to full formations like going from a 4-3-3 to a 4-4-2.

I'm not a fan of deza or coaches like deza because they do our girls a disservice. The quakes have good teams. Still, It's incumbent on these coaches to teach these young ladies how to play. It's more important than wins and losses at this stage. So coaches like that get these players with all the potential in the world, and they squander it. The coaches pride and vanity makes them focus on wins and losses more than developing the players. I do also understand that as a professional coach you also need to earn a living and that's supported by wins and losses. I suggested they should do both, earn a living and teach them how to play. So, they will get big fast players and overpower the opponents and win games. A coach of 9-12 yo girls can adopt that strategy and become quite successful. Once the girls start growing that dynamic changes, and the girls have to be re assessed. They can compensate for lets say lack of speed etc when they get older if at 9-12 the big and fast girls were taught how to play at that age. So deza has been in this arena for quite some time I am lead to believe and has a great rep as a coach. He has made no attempt to learn how to teach his girls how to play. The same way they played last year is the same way they will play every year going forward. Anyone watching those girls play should be offended at their evolution. Mark you, he isnt the only coach that does this, and i only mention deza in the general sense of coaches that does this.

I am not sure what you mean by this, so could you plz clarify?: Do you think most teams play to their style game in and game out? And, just change players around? Not referring to full formations like going from a 4-3-3 to a 4-4-2.
To clarify my questions. Teams play a particular brand of futbol. Barcelona plays Tiki Taka, Leicester City plays the typical old style English game, etc...So, do you think teams stick to their particular style of play on a consistent basis (game in and game out)? And, just move players around? And, not changing their natural formation.

Last edited:

Deza has a good reputation in the soccer arena. He's a very good coach and coached my daughter when she was playing U11 and younger so I can't saying anything bad about my experience because my daughter loved it. However now being a little older and seasoned, she loves her coach Matt Marquez at Thorns. I think he's an up and coming coach that your going to hear about in the near future. His film sessions are valuable and the girls are learning so much and they've progressed under him quite well. I've been lucky to see both sides of the coin but overall I'm pretty happy to see Northern Cali soccer representing.

To clarify my questions. Teams play a particular brand of futbol. Barcelona plays Tiki Taka, Leicester City plays the typical old style English game, etc...So, do you think teams stick to their particular style of play on a consistent basis (game in and game out)? And, just move players around? And, not changing their natural formation.

Oh, got it. must qualify that i am no official expert. Here is my observational perspective: I have watched the evolution of soccer since the 1970 until now, and its quite interesting/fascinating. I prefer tiki taka when thinking about what I consider best now. Not sure how old you are, but i remember when defensive players and goalies never needed to be very technically (meaning great footwork) talented. The defenders we fast, smart and aggressive. the goalies were hardly ever technical, and would kick the ball from the box to a gamble 50/50 up front. They never built from the back. Watching soccer in those days, depending on what continent you were on, I never imagine there was a better way to play. It was still enjoyable, and an amazing sport to watch and play. so I think this was the english style with mostly long balls played several yards forward. Most team i observed then played 4-2-4. Thats funny now because no on would dare play that formation in this day and age. fast forward to now and there is tiki taka, and its way more beautiful and effective to me than the english style of play. So i am back to the point where I feel there is no better way to play. lets see how the game changes in the next 30-40 years.

To answer your question, yes. I think teams stick to their particular style of playing and move people around based on the opponents strengths and weaknesses. I am in favor of our players now, both male and female, to play tiki taka or possession style soccer because it requires better, more disciplined, smarter players to play it. So we teach these player how to control and pass, move with and without the ball, technical ability ie possession. That game will easily translate into playing long ball or english style. I would suggest it more difficult to do the other way around. I compare possession to using a fillet knife, and long ball english style to using a machete. Both gets the job done, but the process and end result is cleaner with one vs the other.

Our daughters face an uphill climb already in a male favored sport, like most other sports. That is why I am agitated and appalled watching these games when we pay money to have people coach our daughters, and they short change them by not teaching them how to play. If she has potential and ambition, we would hope that the coaches will help her realize those dreams if possible... and not just see them as an easy way to get paid. As always I look forward to your comments and/or concerns.

Oh, got it. must qualify that i am no official expert. Here is my observational perspective: I have watched the evolution of soccer since the 1970 until now, and its quite interesting/fascinating. I prefer tiki taka when thinking about what I consider best now. Not sure how old you are, but i remember when defensive players and goalies never needed to be very technically (meaning great footwork) talented. The defenders we fast, smart and aggressive. the goalies were hardly ever technical, and would kick the ball from the box to a gamble 50/50 up front. They never built from the back. Watching soccer in those days, depending on what continent you were on, I never imagine there was a better way to play. It was still enjoyable, and an amazing sport to watch and play. so I think this was the english style with mostly long balls played several yards forward. Most team i observed then played 4-2-4. Thats funny now because no on would dare play that formation in this day and age. fast forward to now and there is tiki taka, and its way more beautiful and effective to me than the english style of play. So i am back to the point where I feel there is no better way to play. lets see how the game changes in the next 30-40 years.

To answer your question, yes. I think teams stick to their particular style of playing and move people around based on the opponents strengths and weaknesses. I am in favor of our players now, both male and female, to play tiki taka or possession style soccer because it requires better, more disciplined, smarter players to play it. So we teach these player how to control and pass, move with and without the ball, technical ability ie possession. That game will easily translate into playing long ball or english style. I would suggest it more difficult to do the other way around. I compare possession to using a fillet knife, and long ball english style to using a machete. Both gets the job done, but the process and end result is cleaner with one vs the other.

Our daughters face an uphill climb already in a male favored sport, like most other sports. That is why I am agitated and appalled watching these games when we pay money to have people coach our daughters, and they short change them by not teaching them how to play. If she has potential and ambition, we would hope that the coaches will help her realize those dreams if possible... and not just see them as an easy way to get paid. As always I look forward to your comments and/or concerns.

exhibit A. a defender with skills second to non.

I like watching Marcelo, but not the best at actually defending, maybe the best attacking defender to link up with midefield/forward line. Much like the player he replaced Roberto Carlos. They are cut from the same cloth.

I agree, decades ago someone like him would have been playing forward or being a major attacking player.. Not defense.

Back