Feeling Blues - Relegation Time

Eagles notified they will not be invited back to GDA next year due to performance over the first two seasons (see "all in ecnl" as eagles try to spin as a positive).

Expect to see an "all in" announcement from Blues as they were also notified they would not be asked back to the GDA (not representative of US Soccer programming).

DA shortening the roster to make for a more exclusive league. Expect to see a couple more relegations.

Actually, I am a little confused - there are other clubs that have done worse than Eagles in the DA. LA Premier and Albion seem to have worse records across the age groupings.

Eagles notified they will not be invited back to GDA next year due to performance over the first two seasons (see "all in ecnl" as eagles try to spin as a positive).

Expect to see an "all in" announcement from Blues as they were also notified they would not be asked back to the GDA (not representative of US Soccer programming).

DA shortening the roster to make for a more exclusive league. Expect to see a couple more relegations.
I think you may be the one who is trying to spin it. I doubt DA is looking to “relegate” at the same time they are losing big clubs nationally. Good try though.

LA Breakers next?

LA Breakers next?
Do you mean LA Breakers will be "relegated" from ECNL?

They just got Boys ECNL, which means they are technically "all in," although they never have had DA for Boys or Girls (or even applied as far as I know), so the "all in" designation doesn't really mean as much. The interesting dynamic there is that while some older girls returned to LA Breakers this year who had been driving far to go to other ECNL or GDA clubs and a couple of those older teams did well, the younger ages were a different story. The former Westside Breakers younger teams were mostly Flight 2, but ECNL forced them to enter their "top" team in each age group and the results were predictable (uniformly at the bottom). Definitely some grumbling and trying out elsewhere for parents of kids of those teams who were losing every weekend and forced to endure high costs and travel to do so. Some of the boys teams are stronger, but the prestige of Boys ECNL lags pretty far behind the Girls, so it will be interesting to see if people find the added travel weekends for league games and showcases worth it, especially at the younger ages.

Do you mean LA Breakers will be "relegated" from ECNL?

They just got Boys ECNL, which means they are technically "all in," although they never have had DA for Boys or Girls (or even applied as far as I know), so the "all in" designation doesn't really mean as much. The interesting dynamic there is that while some older girls returned to LA Breakers this year who had been driving far to go to other ECNL or GDA clubs and a couple of those older teams did well, the younger ages were a different story. The former Westside Breakers younger teams were mostly Flight 2, but ECNL forced them to enter their "top" team in each age group and the results were predictable (uniformly at the bottom). Definitely some grumbling and trying out elsewhere for parents of kids of those teams who were losing every weekend and forced to endure high costs and travel to do so. Some of the boys teams are stronger, but the prestige of Boys ECNL lags pretty far behind the Girls, so it will be interesting to see if people find the added travel weekends for league games and showcases worth it, especially at the younger ages.
And now they have to field ECNL 2 teams

I believe you have your facts wrongs, Eagles chose to leave they were not asked to leave. If Blues or any others in the SW conference leave they will choose to leave, they have not been asked. They have been asked to choose ECNL or DA which will affect about 5 other clubs nationally. Expect to see further announcements that choose only DA or ECNL

They have been asked to choose ECNL or DA which will affect about 5 other clubs nationally. Expect to see further announcements that choose only DA or ECNL
Is this only on the girls side? Premier boys has both ECNL and DA and is going forward as if this will continue next year.

Is this only on the girls side? Premier boys has both ECNL and DA and is going forward as if this will continue next year.
Do they have them both at the same age groups? I thought this year that they had 2007 and 2006 Boys DA, with ECNL starting at 2005. Girls had GDA and DPL, but no ECNL. I may be wrong though. That's only from a perusal of the website.

I think this is only the dynamics on the girls side. For boys, team A of a particular club plays DA, and team B plays ECNL and everyone is somewhat ok with that. On the girls side, both DA and ECNL want clubs to commit their A team to their respective league.

Basically lots of changes every year without any actual/tangible benefits to the kids.

Do they have them both at the same age groups? I thought this year that they had 2007 and 2006 Boys DA, with ECNL starting at 2005. Girls had GDA and DPL, but no ECNL. I may be wrong though. That's only from a perusal of the website.
Next year, they're slated to have boys DA U13 and U14 and boys ECNL U12, 13, 14.

I believe you have your facts wrongs, Eagles chose to leave they were not asked to leave. If Blues or any others in the SW conference leave they will choose to leave, they have not been asked. They have been asked to choose ECNL or DA which will affect about 5 other clubs nationally. Expect to see further announcements that choose only DA or ECNL

Ask Blues if they recieved a call from US Soccer two days ago. That will prove me right or wrong...

I have no inside knowledge of anything, however Considering Blues is part of FCGS now my guess is that they have become more DA aligned, not less.

I think it's sad how US Soccer and ECNL seem to be at war with each other rather than trying to find a long-term solution that will best fill the needs for youth soccer and US national teams. Feel bad for the kids that are impacted with this ever-constantly changing landscape. I think more of the responsibility falls on US Soccer as they are the governing body.

I guess only the directors of Eagles will turly know if they got kicked out the DA or decided to leave and go “all in” with ECNL.

However, Blues have won an ECNL championship in the last year and can remain in the ECNL for another three years regarldess of their results (see ECNL bylaws). Therefor, Blues have a unique situation compared to the likes of Eagles or even Surf as they’re the only club that won’t be forced to make a decision by ECNL to go either way.

Therefore, if Blues decides to go “all in” with ECNL it can’t be because ECNL is forcing them to make a decision and more so that DA has forced them instead.

I think it would make a big statement by US Soccer to kick the likes of blues out for playing their B teams in the DA.

I think it's sad how US Soccer and ECNL seem to be at war with each other rather than trying to find a long-term solution that will best fill the needs for youth soccer and US national teams. Feel bad for the kids that are impacted with this ever-constantly changing landscape. I think more of the responsibility falls on US Soccer as they are the governing body.

I couldn’t agree more with you. It’s a shame people aren’t putting the players first in this process.

I do believe that the ECNL started this though “war” thiugh. Dictating clubs to do things without considering what was right for each individual club let alone the players. Instead, thier tactics only plays into what is best for their brand and ultimatley thier pocket. Naturally US Soccer are now standing up and won’t allow themselves to get walked all over.

Just remember that the DA was created ex players and coaches and some of the best talent this nation has seen, not an old attorney looking to line his pocket.

Back