Excalibur link

Huntington Beach could also come out of the lower side of the bracket, rather than Los Al. Tesoro will be the huge test for Foothill again. Seems like it is always that way....

Huntington Beach could also come out of the lower side of the bracket, rather than Los Al. Tesoro will be the huge test for Foothill again. Seems like it is always that way....
Seems that Esperanza should have been given a bye because they are the returning champs. I haven't seen HB yet this year but I have seen Los Al a few times, and that group of kids play well together.

Will be nice to see how Esperanza comes out--7-0 start for the Aztecs! Saw a bit of their game vs La Mirada (D5 last year?).

After this week's tournaments, I think we will be able to better determine how well the divisions were created.

Last edited:
Seems that Esperanza should have been given a bye because they are the returning champs. I haven't seen HB yet this year but I have seen Los Al a few times, and that group of kids play well together.

Will be nice to see how Esperanza comes out--7-0 start for the Aztecs! Saw a bit of their game vs La Mirada (D5 last year?).

After this week's tournaments, I think we will be able to better determine how well the divisions were created.

I know of 2 teams attending without any of their goal scoring forwards and a few midfielders missing due to holidays. I am sure there are more. Why does the defense hang around for the holidays :).

Semi-finalists in 2014. Champions in 2015. No bye in 2016?
2015--5-3-1 in League and one and done in CIF, including two loses to the bye recipient Foothill
2014--3-5-3 in League and one an done in CIF, including two loses to the bye recipient Foothill

Hopefully the trend of doing well in the preseason and then ending in a one and done in CIF will end this year.

Last edited:
So feel you, bdobs... the one year Foothill won Cathedral Catholic was the worst season they had in league in YEARS. Was actually relieved they didn't so so well:)

Really, it is pretty dang hard to seed a tournament with this much talent. And some schools that travel do not WANT the bye. I am just relieved there is no rain and we didn't have to set up on Christmas. That makes for a perfect Excalibur.

Looks like Redondo Union or Xavier is going to be the huge test for Foothill now. Tesoro v. LB Poly is a really good 1st round consolation match.

Last edited:
Looks like they got the seeding correct.

Yes, Esperanza was spanked by a very good Los Osos side...if they got the seeding correct, how did RSM and Foothill lose? You'd think that they wouldn't get 2 of the 3 bye teams incorrect...or maybe you and I have a different definition of "correct seeding"?

Last edited:
Yes, Esperanza was spanked by a very good Los Osos side...if they got the seeding correct, how did RSM and Foothill lose? You'd think that they wouldn't get 2 of the 3 bye teams incorrect...or maybe you and I have a different definition of "correct seeding"?

I'm just messing with you. I only watched one high school tournament in my players whole career. As long as dd played well and didn't get hurt then it was a success in my eyes.

One thing to remember, schools are on winter break meaning that some kids will be missing.

With that said, Santa Margarita is a bit of a surprise, though Temecula usually has a good team.
I believe we all know that Cathedral Catholic is good.
Edison also has a good team, a bit surprised to see that they gave up 3 to Northwood.
What the hell happened to Esperanza. I thought they were like 7-0 coming into this thing. Los Osos is good.
Huntington Beach probably had a tougher time vs Trabuco Hills than Canyon. What has happened with the wonder twins at CHS?
I haven't heard too much about either Redondo nor Xavier. However, getting past Tesoro was a pretty good accomplishment for Redondo.
Mater Dei must be rebuilding this year. Los Al is legit.
Bummer for Foothill! I thought that they would have advanced past Rosary.

Once again, many programs are missing kids--I know that my girl's team was missing several key kids and in HS, that is huge.

Congrats to Esperanza on the PK win. I was getting text updates on the plane. Best thing about the tourney is the crazy upsets and Dragon Pit for PKS.

My money is on Temecula Valley to advance to play Redondo.

Los Al is strong this year and I wouldn't be surprised to see them win D1 CIF. Already champions of Aliso Cup and now Excalibur, not too shabby. 2-0 over Cathedral Catholic.

Back