Every Team Should Videotape at least one game

Discussion in 'SoCalScene' started by TCD, Nov 14, 2017.

1. TCD

TCD Silver

Ratings:
    +480 / 12
    Just finished watching a video of my DD's game (05) from last weekend and all I can say is WOW. It is so enlightening to watch film and see how much development is still needed! I think if every team had at least one game videotaped perhaps we could get more players (and parents) to really focus on skill over brute force. The lack of ball skills (first touch, accurate passing) was astounding to watch.

We had a professional videographer film the game (and I think having the professional videographer 2o feet off the ground giving the bird's eye view really helps). I wish we would have had him film a game at the beginning of the year (spring friendly/scrimmage), a game at a summer tournament and a game in the fall season so the players/team could see their development (or lack thereof) from beginning to end of season.

I'd rather have my DD's team do one less tourney and put that money towards having a few games professionally filmed. I think it would be money well spent and do much more for their development than yet another summer tournament.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
  2. socalkdg

socalkdg Silver

Ratings:
    +438 / 3
    Completely agree with you. I watched the 05 State Cup semi's last year on youtube, thought, hey, our team is just as good as these two teams. Then I watched a video of our team and thought, ok, we still have a lot of work to do. Watching live then watching video it is two completly different things. First touch and passing come to the forefront, that is for sure.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. timbuck

timbuck Silver Elite

Ratings:
    +1,451 / 16
    I recommend watching it a few times from a variety of different perspective.

1. Watch the team as a whole. Don't just focus on your player.
    2. Watch individual players. Are they making the same mistake over and over? Or was it an isolated incident?
    3. Watch as if you were a coach or spectator for the other team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. TangoCity

TangoCity Silver

Ratings:
    +519 / 10
    It is always a good idea to get EVERY game on video. Not just for coaching purposes. You never know what will happen at any game. We (a super star parent) tape EVERY game and have caught some interesting things.

5. Surf Zombie

Surf Zombie Bronze

Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    What did it cost to have the game videotaped?

6. TCD

TCD Silver

Ratings:
    +480 / 12
    I think it depends on what services you want. We used Game 1 Video. We would use them again.

7. TCD

TCD Silver

Ratings:
    +480 / 12
    Every game? What age group? And "super star parent" label - legit how you see yourself or sarcasm? Just curious...

8. ForumParent

ForumParent Bronze

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Aw, I think "super star parent" is just a nod to some other parent on the team who is willing to carry along her or his equipment, set it up and operate it for the team's benefit.

I suppose if that parent brings along special lighting, a directors chair and a fog machine, I may change my response. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. TCD

TCD Silver

Ratings:
    +480 / 12
    ohhh...that makes much more sense. I hope you're right!

10. smellycleats

smellycleats Bronze

Ratings:
    +116 / 2
    Yes, you just have to be sure to turn the volume off.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. TCD

TCD Silver

Ratings:
    +480 / 12
    Sorry meant to add this info to my original answer to your question: it worked out to just under $20 per family for the one game. But I think they offer discounts if you buy more than one? I know there were some different companies offering deals for some of the bigger tourneys last summer (surf cup, blues cup, etc). Not sure how it differs from league games, or getting individual player moments etc.
    http://www.game1video.com was the company we used

• Like Like x 1
  12. GKDad65

GKDad65 Bronze

Ratings:
    +165 / 3
    I taped as many games as possible and we'd review them that evening. The boys loved it, most of the time.
    Now they review the tape by themselves, they don't need Dad around to tell them what went wrong. Ha-Ha

• Like Like x 2
  13. zebrafish

zebrafish Bronze

Ratings:
    +196 / 1
    Most of our games get video taped from sideline which are then condensed down to ~5 minute highlight video. 95% of it is for fun. But there are definitely 1-2 learning points or things one can reinforce (both good and bad) while we sit and enjoy the highlights. I think it has been really helpful. Like so many things, doing it once probably won't make a blip in your kid learning the game, but over time I do think it has some tangible benefits.

14. espola

espola Silver Elite

Ratings:
    +3,023 / 114
    One of the dads on one son's team proposed to tape all our home games from the hillside next to the field. He taped one game, and we never saw it.

In high school, one of the Seniors made a highlight video as his Senior Project. His parents or brothers taped all home games and most away games, and then he edited up a really nice DVD with chapters for Great Moves, Goals, Saves, etc. It was so well done that we had copies made to send to coaches as a recruiting video, along with a minutes:seconds key of where to look

15. broshark

broshark Bronze

Ratings:
    +4 / 1
    One of the things I notice when watching tape is you can see the "hard workers" aren't always the "effective players". In fact, the players running all over the place are usually the least effective when you watch outside the heat of the game. It's the boring players who usually stand out to me on tape.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. forsomuch

forsomuch Bronze

Ratings:
    +83 / 2
    You really want to make a difference for your team then video the sideline and then have the parents watch themselves!

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. ChrisD

ChrisD Bronze

Ratings:
    +20 / 1
    I absolutely love filming the games , and I got a fog machine too!....Im telling you , do it , its cheaper to get your own set up and learn on your own.
    They'll be moments that your kids will talk about for a long time , why not have it on film. You can get everything for cheap easy, and your videos will be amazing. Super Star parent or whatever, I guarantee you'll watch them

• Like Like x 2
  18. rainbow_unicorn

rainbow_unicorn Bronze

Ratings:
    +230 / 6
    Sounds expensive. They had deal at SCDSL showcase for $120/game. And I should have reached out to other team manager to see if they wanted to split the cost...if I did could have worked out to $6/family.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. TCD

TCD Silver

Ratings:
    +480 / 12
    I'm guessing/assuming it's always cheaper to get tournament (or showcase) games filmed b/c they are set up at the location and filming multiple games vs. having someone come out to just one game and some random location. Probably best to have first game at tournament filmed while players' legs are still fresh vs. last game on Sunday when bodies and minds are fried.

20. Josep

Josep Bronze

Ratings:
    +15 / 3
    I agree. This was very helpful when my older kid played. Instead of paying for private on training, I actually had a couple different coaches sit with my kid for an hour and review the film. They pointed out things.

As far as when and where, pick a tourney you play, Showcase or Vegas cup?, or pick a game against a better team. If you do a tourney, it’s more cost effective for families over a 3 game period and you’ll have a compete library of that weekend.