Espola's newest neighborhood

Today I found out about Oceanside Trenchcoat Guy. I saw him sitting under the pier (in his trenchcoat!), back to one of the pilings, watching the waves break over him. I informed a lifeguard who said "That's Bruce. He has a youtube channel."

Today I found out about Oceanside Trenchcoat Guy. I saw him sitting under the pier (in his trenchcoat!), back to one of the pilings, watching the waves break over him. I informed a lifeguard who said "That's Bruce. He has a youtube channel."

Man are you one straaaaange human...why did you post that.

From a North Carolina friend's FB page -- cold enough there that even the referee is wearing unmatched thermals --

qoF-gX1kgrXS0hrteGwWOVS7VzHDNU_rYyvzCry8owTnlMLVTme83Tj2FjAWgkhI26BgH6M1_u58MIVntw5Pv-se1bE9MOlJUzxptWskLnzMb8ElWcyA11wp8bPBmSC2Q1OlT_TkCqiYzQ

I found out just before I left my son's place in Sacramento last night that Poway has a water problem. Some residents complained about discolored water and after investigating the City put out a "boil water" alert and started giving away free bottled water to all Poway residents at 2 locations - City Hall and Lake Poway. After that, the SD County health board shut down all restaurants in Poway until the problem is resolved.

Back in the 50's, residents and landowners of what is now Poway formed a Poway Water District in order to qualify for receiving water from the county and state water supplies. Before that, all water consumed in the city came from small private reservoirs and wells. When the city was incorporated in 1980, the boundaries were those of the old Water District. The city water treatment plant stores water delivered by aqueduct pipes in Lake Poway, treats it in a modern facility, and stores the treated water in a large covered reservoir known as a "clear well". Apparently, during the recent rainstorm, some rainwater that had accumulated on the cover leaked through and mixed with the treated water.

The treated water reservoir is the large grey rectangle in the google maps picture below --

The State inspectors say that the Poway reservoir is out of compliance because of the proximity of a storm drain.. The likely culprit is the grating in the street pictured below, which the city says overflowed in the recent storms and caused untreated water to flow into the clear-well reservoir behind it. The City says that they are "shocked" since that same structure has been there since the treatment plant was upgraded over 50 years ago, and passed State inspection as recently as September.

The things you don't know if you don't read the local news every day.

More - a letter to the local paper (sorta - it has been absorbed into the U-T structure - we get a free copy in the carport every Thursday but have restricted access to the U-T webpages)

Mayor sets poor example
While considerable applause should be offered to the City of Poway workers who quickly took action to identify and resolve the problem that prompted the recent boil-water incident, as well as to the many volunteers who worked the bottled water pick-up stations for residents all week, those same kudos cannot be offered for the behavior displayed by Poway Mayor Steve Vaus.
In numerous media appearances and print interviews throughout the week, Vaus openly contradicted county and state water officials, suggesting the problem was overstated, it was fixed and that the water was actually safe — adding that he was still drinking the tap water during the boil-water order.
That sort of cavalier cowboy attitude certainly did not reflect the “abundance of caution” county and state officials were advising. Nor did it make much sense to Poway residents and the many restaurant owners, employees and other workers who dutifully sat at home boiling their tap water while losing money every single day. What kind of a foolish, mixed message is that for the city’s mayor to send to residents and all those workers severely impacted by the week-long boil water order? Is this the sort of “leadership” we can expect from Vaus during a future crisis if elected to the county Board of Supervisors next year — a post for which he is running?
Al Peterson
Lakeside

Back