Espola's newest neighborhood

Works for me, but it would be more convenient if they hadn't dropped the Pomerado/West Bernardo loop a few years back. I could walk to the bus stop instead of driving 3 miles to the RB Transit Station.
Try getting to PB from OB, ridiculous.

Try getting to PB from OB, ridiculous.

My advantage is that from Rancho Bernardo to any place I usually want to go (Dowtown, Escondido, or Oceanside) there is good service on 15-30 minute intervals. Sometimes I just go downtown and ride a trolley line to the end and back for recreation, and I have gotten to every branch library in the city (except a couple have moved since I started doing that, so I have to do those over). I park for free at the transit stations, and I have left a car in Oceanside for a week (no fee, and security patrols) a couple of times when I went on Amtrak to Sacramento.

My advantage is that from Rancho Bernardo to any place I usually want to go (Dowtown, Escondido, or Oceanside) there is good service on 15-30 minute intervals. Sometimes I just go downtown and ride a trolley line to the end and back for recreation, and I have gotten to every branch library in the city (except a couple have moved since I started doing that, so I have to do those over). I park for free at the transit stations, and I have left a car in Oceanside for a week (no fee, and security patrols) a couple of times when I went on Amtrak to Sacramento.
Amtrak sucks as well. To get my golf clubs to SLO I need to buy a seat for them.

Is that on Surfliner? On Amtrak's Coast Starlight, I can take a bicycle to Sacramento as one of the 2 checked items allowed, and they will provide an appropriate box for $15.
Yep, a guy that have golfed with who works for Amtrak suggested that as the way to do it.

My sister-in-law died last week after falling and hitting her head in the hotel where she and my brother were spending the night before boarding a ship the next morning for an autumn cruise in the Atlantic and Caribbean. I spoke with him for about an hour afterward. One awkward issue was that his wife had drawn up a final-wishes will in which she expressed the desire that no extraordinary measures be taken that would only bring her back to a disabled life. She was already blind in one eye and no longer able to drive a car. He told the hospital staff that, but they properly wouldn't just take his word for it, so he had to go back home and search for the document. After the hospital accepted it, he complained that they took a long time to unplug her from life support. I joked with him that they probably couldn't spare people from saving people's lives in order to send a crew in stat! to let someone die. That kind of death in a hospital setting is ideal for harvesting organ donations, which was also in her final wishes.

He posted that he plans to stick with their plans for the December QM2 transatlantic cruise if he can get Cunard to agree to a burial at sea ceremony, which he has witnessed in previous cruises.

I promise that this will be the only fall foliage picture I will post this year --

71747015_2437275223224338_7197313436504555520_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2437275219891005&set=a.1620217748263427&type=3&theater

I drove over and looked at this a couple of weeks ago. The people complaining are at the bottom of the hill in an old middle-class neighborhood, Garden Road, just far enough away that they didn't get any of the development notices. You know how tilt-up buildings go up, right? After the walls for a side are cast, the wall segments go up quickly on purpose because they help support each other. Those people came home one night and they have a new surprise horizon.

That property was long ago proposed as a site for an outdoor concert venue, but the developer backed out and found friendlier neighbors in Chula Vista, leaving a $1 million bond payment to the city that was partially divided up by City Councilmen giving out chunks of money to charities and local non-profits, like the Poway Youth Soccer League just about the time we got involved with it (the money eventually helped convince the City Council to put lights on the Arbolitos fields). It was zoned Industrial Park, a zoning class enacted by Poway years ago when the South Poway Business Park was first developed. The idea was to encourage high-employment companies to build or locate there, and it has worked out pretty well that way - almost half of the Park is occupied by the General Atomics killer-drone factory and their outlying buildings. Warehouses don't qualify for IP zoning, so the zoning was changed to Light Industrial last November by a unanimous vote of the Poway City Council, and development plans were approved some months later. I haven't found the agenda package yet, but I think it was sometime in April or May. I have heard that they plan to put up some trees to "soften" the view. I did find their advertising brochure -- http://vantagepointpoway.com/downloads/Vantage-Point-Flyer.pdf

This doesn't look like the crooked insider development issue that some have hoped would bring down Poway's fake-cowboy mayor, but he has to deal with a lot of pissed-off voters now.

I drove over and looked at this a couple of weeks ago. The people complaining are at the bottom of the hill in an old middle-class neighborhood, Garden Road, just far enough away that they didn't get any of the development notices. You know how tilt-up buildings go up, right? After the walls for a side are cast, the wall segments go up quickly on purpose because they help support each other. Those people came home one night and they have a new surprise horizon.

That property was long ago proposed as a site for an outdoor concert venue, but the developer backed out and found friendlier neighbors in Chula Vista, leaving a $1 million bond payment to the city that was partially divided up by City Councilmen giving out chunks of money to charities and local non-profits, like the Poway Youth Soccer League just about the time we got involved with it (the money eventually helped convince the City Council to put lights on the Arbolitos fields). It was zoned Industrial Park, a zoning class enacted by Poway years ago when the South Poway Business Park was first developed. The idea was to encourage high-employment companies to build or locate there, and it has worked out pretty well that way - almost half of the Park is occupied by the General Atomics killer-drone factory and their outlying buildings. Warehouses don't qualify for IP zoning, so the zoning was changed to Light Industrial last November by a unanimous vote of the Poway City Council, and development plans were approved some months later. I haven't found the agenda package yet, but I think it was sometime in April or May. I have heard that they plan to put up some trees to "soften" the view. I did find their advertising brochure -- http://vantagepointpoway.com/downloads/Vantage-Point-Flyer.pdf

This doesn't look like the crooked insider development issue that some have hoped would bring down Poway's fake-cowboy mayor, but he has to deal with a lot of pissed-off voters now.

The upper view is from the north, the direction from which the Gaden Road residents see it.

https://app.oxblue.com/open/ryan/vantagepoint

I worked more tilt ups than I can ever remember. Built em, stood em, now work in one. All up and down Carlsbad airport road, all over otay mesa, vista, Scripps Poway parkway, El Cajon, Santee, Temecula, Murrieta, etc. etc. . .
And they are stood, held up by braces until they are welded together by weld plates at the top and bottom of each panel, then the roof girders are installed, then the roof, after that the pour strip between the bottom of the panels and the slab (with rebar protruding at 16" oc.) is poured then the braces are taken down.

I worked more tilt ups than I can ever remember. Built em, stood em, now work in one. All up and down Carlsbad airport road, all over otay mesa, vista, Scripps Poway parkway, El Cajon, Santee, Temecula, Murrieta, etc. etc. . .
And they are stood, held up by braces until they are welded together by weld plates at the top and bottom of each panel, then the roof girders are installed, then the roof, after that the pour strip between the bottom of the panels and the slab (with rebar protruding at 16" oc.) is poured then the braces are taken down.

The first time I worked in one, I had a sudden realization of how they were built one day while staring off into space thinking over some computer problem and I noticed the welded joints along the ceiling. Then I got to watch a small building's day-by-day progress when they put up a rec center complete with oversized racquetball court in the SAIC Campus Point campus.

The first time I worked in one, I had a sudden realization of how they were built one day while staring off into space thinking over some computer problem and I noticed the welded joints along the ceiling. Then I got to watch a small building's day-by-day progress when they put up a rec center complete with oversized racquetball court in the SAIC Campus Point campus.
First one I worked on was Otay Mesa, 1981 or '82.

The upper view is from the north, the direction from which the Gaden Road residents see it.

https://app.oxblue.com/open/ryan/vantagepoint

After the attempt to put in a concert venue failed, the property has sat vacant, even as the rest of the industrial park was built out. If a Poway resident were inclined to root out the reasons for the zoning change, he could look into County records to see who sold the land to Ryan Companies in January, and whether or not that owner has been active in support of Poway politicians.

Back