QUOTE="espola, post: 285916, member: 3" Gathering bits of info from various news reports -- -The boat had a fire suppression system, as required by Coast Guard regulation, but it only covered the engine room aft of the bunkroom. -The galley had a propane stove and oven. It's not clear what kind of space heaters the boat had. -There was only one exit from the bunkroom * - up the stairs into the galley and main salon. Fact -- -Propane is denser than air. Conjecture - a propane leak in the galley filled the bunk room with propane vapor, which was ignited by a random spark. At that point, everyone is doomed - those not already asphyxiated by the propane would be burned in their bunks before they could get out. /QUOTE Quote from KTLA 5 News : It appears the victims were trapped after the fire erupted, as the stairwell and escape hatch may have been blocked by the flames, according to the sheriff. Right in the vicinity of where that man is standing without a shirt on the lower deck is " supposed to be " an escape hatch.