Espola's newest neighborhood

π day --

When I was in college (the first time) a friend was trying to organize a dorm hockey team. He gave me one of his old jerseys to wear - with the number 31. Naturally, I cut a small disk out of black tape and put it between the digits so I was number 3.1 from then on. I also used a black marker to put a big π on the back.

I was enough of a science/math geek that I didn't think that was odd.

I spent the weekend at Galway Downs watching kids ride horses but got the bonus of a soccer tournament in the middle of the race track. Yesterday morning, I woke up to race horses working out, my granddaughter riding her pony and parents yelling all the old favorites.
Mark up
Goal side
Offsides!
Cmon ref!

It was a little slice of heaven.

Back in the hospital again - Shortness of breath this morning, so I was going to ask my wife to take me to urgent care. But I couldn't make to the car so we called 911 instead. The fire department responded and planned to take me to Pomerado Hospital a couple of miles from our place, but that was overloaded so we went to Palomar Hospital in Escondido. Then, because my new-this-year Medicare Advantage supplemental insurance is funded by Sharp-Rees, I had to take another ambulance ride to Sharp Hospital in Kearney Mesa.

The first key to good cooking is to read the ingredients. The second is to read the instructions --

55719198_2441617385851112_2934863393737146368_n.jpg

Back in the hospital again - Shortness of breath this morning, so I was going to ask my wife to take me to urgent care. But I couldn't make to the car so we called 911 instead. The fire department responded and planned to take me to Pomerado Hospital a couple of miles from our place, but that was overloaded so we went to Palomar Hospital in Escondido. Then, because my new-this-year Medicare Advantage supplemental insurance is funded by Sharp-Rees, I had to take another ambulance ride to Sharp Hospital in Kearney Mesa.
Sounds like a $10,000 cab fee.

Sounds like a $10,000 cab fee.

They got me stable at Palomar, then asked me if I wanted to go home or spend a night in the hospital. My wife wouldn't let me go home until I was better. Then they told me that Sharp was pulling priority. Makes sense in a health-dollars way - Sharp is paying for the treatment from their insurance end, so they want to draw a few Medicare dollars on their revenue end.

They got me stable at Palomar, then asked me if I wanted to go home or spend a night in the hospital. My wife wouldn't let me go home until I was better. Then they told me that Sharp was pulling priority. Makes sense in a health-dollars way - Sharp is paying for the treatment from their insurance end, so they want to draw a few Medicare dollars on their revenue end.

Serial golf ball thief arrested after swiping more than $10,000 worth of golf balls

By Alex Myers
October 15, 2018

Connecticut residents can breath a bit easier these days. A serial Golf Ball thief has been arrested. Phew.

Joseph Kolenda, 58, turned himself into police after a search warrant executed at his home in August turned up more than 2,500 golf balls,according to Fairfield Citizen Online. Kolenda is currently out on $10,000 bail, which, ironically, is about the value of the golf balls he's stolen since 2017.

A police report says Kolenda stole 20,800 golf balls from the Patterson Club in Fairfield. And no, he didn't just horde them in his home. Kolenda sold the golf balls to a nearby driving range for 73 cents a pop

Kolenda, who is expected to appear in court on Oct. 23, was caught when a Patterson Club member saw golf balls with the club's logo on them at the driving range. And after a detective investigated by buying a bucket of balls at the range — sounds like a fun assignment — it was easy to obtain where the range had purchased the balls.

Kolenda was also charged with stealing golf balls in two other Connecticut areas (Stamford and Brookfield) as far back as 2001. So yeah, we weren't kidding about the whole serial golf thief thing.

Serial golf ball thief arrested after swiping more than $10,000 worth of golf balls

By Alex Myers
October 15, 2018

Connecticut residents can breath a bit easier these days. A serial Golf Ball thief has been arrested. Phew.

Joseph Kolenda, 58, turned himself into police after a search warrant executed at his home in August turned up more than 2,500 golf balls,according to Fairfield Citizen Online. Kolenda is currently out on $10,000 bail, which, ironically, is about the value of the golf balls he's stolen since 2017.

A police report says Kolenda stole 20,800 golf balls from the Patterson Club in Fairfield. And no, he didn't just horde them in his home. Kolenda sold the golf balls to a nearby driving range for 73 cents a pop

Kolenda, who is expected to appear in court on Oct. 23, was caught when a Patterson Club member saw golf balls with the club's logo on them at the driving range. And after a detective investigated by buying a bucket of balls at the range — sounds like a fun assignment — it was easy to obtain where the range had purchased the balls.

Kolenda was also charged with stealing golf balls in two other Connecticut areas (Stamford and Brookfield) as far back as 2001. So yeah, we weren't kidding about the whole serial golf thief thing.

I have never been on the driving range.

Back