Espola's newest neighborhood

The Radicalism of Reading

https://fee.org/articles/the-radicalism-of-reading/?utm_source=ribbon

21st-Century Reading

All the technological, social, and economic advances made during the explosive 18th and 19th centuries carried through into the modern era, spreading literacy and dispelling weird rumors until the world literacy rate went from 12% in 1800 to 85% in 2014. With the internet, e-readers, and all our smart devices, people are reading more now than ever; and the availability and variety of content is unlike anything even imagined just a century ago.

So when a relative or stranger tells you to put your phone down, ask them when they last read a book, and then quote something smart from the article you’re reading on your phone.

I just took Fuzzy Future by Bart Kosko (took a class on neural networks from him many years ago) back to the RB branch library. On the armrest next to me are Charlie Wilson's War by George Cline, Pigeon Tunnel by John Le Carre, and The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot. I also have the Steve Jobs biography on the headboard of my bed - that one will go on the trip with me tomorrow - and a couple of others out of eyesight at the moment.

I average about a good-sized book a week. How about you?

I just took Fuzzy Future by Bart Kosko (took a class on neural networks from him many years ago) back to the RB branch library. On the armrest next to me are Charlie Wilson's War by George Cline, Pigeon Tunnel by John Le Carre, and The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot. I also have the Steve Jobs biography on the headboard of my bed - that one will go on the trip with me tomorrow - and a couple of others out of eyesight at the moment.

I average about a good-sized book a week. How about you?
Same. Just finished Shadows on the Koyukuk. Reminded me of the hazardous conditions that my mother in-law raised my wife and her brother and sister in. Atlas Shrugged could take two weeks at least. One of my all time favorites, Where the Sea Breaks its Back, by Corey Ford. It is an amazing story of naturalist George Steller under the command of Captain Vitus Bering.

The Radicalism of Reading

https://fee.org/articles/the-radicalism-of-reading/?utm_source=ribbon

21st-Century Reading

All the technological, social, and economic advances made during the explosive 18th and 19th centuries carried through into the modern era, spreading literacy and dispelling weird rumors until the world literacy rate went from 12% in 1800 to 85% in 2014. With the internet, e-readers, and all our smart devices, people are reading more now than ever; and the availability and variety of content is unlike anything even imagined just a century ago.

So when a relative or stranger tells you to put your phone down, ask them when they last read a book, and then quote something smart from the article you’re reading on your phone.
When will you start burning books?

Thanks to my wife's high standing in Delta's frequent flyer program (Skymiles), I got excellent treatment in our flights eastward yesterday. An upgrade to business class issued at the gate for the long San Diego to Detroit leg, then an exit row seat with an empty seat between us in the Detroit-La Guardia leg, then an empty seat adjacent in the last flight (LA Guardia to Burlington, Vt). She had returned just hours before our trip east from Bangkok, with upgrades between Shanghai and Seattle and then Seattle to ASan Diego, so for her that was 3 consecutive upgraded flights.

Family reunion picture, me with brothers and sisters --

20032002_1378045828938298_775803632403586017_n.jpg

QUOTE="espola, post: 95684, member: 3" Family reunion picture, me with brothers and sisters --

20032002_1378045828938298_775803632403586017_n.jpg
/QUOTE

Ok Spola......which one is you ...?

Back