ESPN Investigates- The Running Man

Interesting podcast regarding a coach and former Olympian, Conrad Mainwaring, and how he physically abused and molested over 50 boys/men over the course of 40 years. Starting from the East Coast and ending up on the West at several colleges, namely UCLA. Really sad and important as we tend to not to talk that much to our boys about sexual abuse. I'm speaking as a parent who has both girls and boys --I'm guilty to worry more about this with my girl but it is important to remember it does it happen to our boys. Check out the podcast if you get a chance.

Interesting podcast regarding a coach and former Olympian, Conrad Mainwaring, and how he physically abused and molested over 50 boys/men over the course of 40 years. Starting from the East Coast and ending up on the West at several colleges, namely UCLA. Really sad and important as we tend to not to talk that much to our boys about sexual abuse. I'm speaking as a parent who has both girls and boys --I'm guilty to worry more about this with my girl but it is important to remember it does it happen to our boys. Check out the podcast if you get a chance.
Winning is a powerful drug --- just take a look at Penn St.

I was seriously considering having my kid transfer to the GDA from Mexico. I looked at the club closest to my home in TJ and the Bay Area and interacted with both of the guys below. Be very careful folks.

If a coach insists on texting players and not parents - Run away. Especially at the younger ages. But the HS aged kids really shouldn't be texting with an older male (probably female too) either.
Or this dandy of a line, "if some of you dont stop telling your parents every thing I say to you, you wont play! And if you dont play, you dont go to college and your parents will be pissed off at you. Now get back to training so you dont become a fat cow!!!

Or this dandy of a line, "if some of you dont stop telling your parents every thing I say to you, you wont play! And if you dont play, you dont go to college and your parents will be pissed off at you. Now get back to training so you dont become a fat cow!!!
That might be cause for me to contact my lawyer.

If a coach insists on texting players and not parents - Run away. Especially at the younger ages. But the HS aged kids really shouldn't be texting with an older male (probably female too) either.
Yes, except if it's a group text - I'm okay with a coach having a group team text. I'm talking about high school age but this is why the podcast made me think. My youngest son is just about 16. I think he would tell me if anything weird was going on - but still - I'm reminded. Check in - remind them - don't let any coach/teacher/adult touch you inappropriately. Don't ever be afraid and/or embarrass to speak if anything happens.

Yes, except if it's a group text - I'm okay with a coach having a group team text. I'm talking about high school age but this is why the podcast made me think. My youngest son is just about 16. I think he would tell me if anything weird was going on - but still - I'm reminded. Check in - remind them - don't let any coach/teacher/adult touch you inappropriately. Don't ever be afraid and/or embarrass to speak if anything happens.
It is often subtle at the beginning - "grooming" and parents don't realize the red flags

It was really interesting (the first season of that podcast - on horse racing - it also really good though not as relevant to this board).

One of the reporters - Mark Fainaru-Wada - and his brother have written some terrific investigative work inside and outside of sports. Anything they touch is likely going to be excellent and provocative.

I was seriously considering having my kid transfer to the GDA from Mexico. I looked at the club closest to my home in TJ and the Bay Area and interacted with both of the guys below. Be very careful folks.

I knew ”Coach Alex” - my kids played against him and I know several folks who have played for him. Whether related or not, he had a noticeable and abrupt change in his coaching demeanor at one point. It was a shocker when this story broke.

It is often subtle at the beginning - "grooming" and parents don't realize the red flags
They aren't big ugly boogie men. They are charming and charismatic so its puts you at ease and your guard goes down. They get appalled if their motives get questioned. "you don't trust me"? .....a strong parent says NO period. Do not worry about any ones feelings you are not responsible for their feelings. They should never ever put a parent in a position to question them anyway

A few years ago, but these happened right here in OC.

Couple of former college players, under the age of 30. Given access to HS aged girls.

They aren't big ugly boogie men. They are charming and charismatic so its puts you at ease and your guard goes down. They get appalled if their motives get questioned. "you don't trust me"? .....a strong parent says NO period. Do not worry about any ones feelings you are not responsible for their feelings. They should never ever put a parent in a position to question them anyway
Yes, 100% correct. Everyone around them thinks they are a great person. They are charming and seductive. They use their "power" to manipulate parents and players. Parents that question or challenge the status quo are criticized or blackballed by coaches and DOC's and other parents side with the perpetrators. So when parents criticize females players and call them weak or lousy soccer players when they bring up complaints about inappropriate behaviors or things that don't seem right you are teaching your daughters to ignore their gut instincts and not be assertive to protect their own welfare.

Yes, 100% correct. Everyone around them thinks they are a great person. They are charming and seductive. They use their "power" to manipulate parents and players. Parents that question or challenge the status quo are criticized or blackballed by coaches and DOC's and other parents side with the perpetrators. So when parents criticize females players and call them weak or lousy soccer players when they bring up complaints about inappropriate behaviors or things that don't seem right you are teaching your daughters to ignore their gut instincts and not be assertive to protect their own welfare.
Yes and also recognize that this does happen to our sons as well! I say this knowing there are so many wonderful coaches and trainers that have been a part of my kids lives. Keep those lines of communication open.

It was really interesting (the first season of that podcast - on horse racing - it also really good though not as relevant to this board).

One of the reporters - Mark Fainaru-Wada - and his brother have written some terrific investigative work inside and outside of sports. Anything they touch is likely going to be excellent and provocative.
I liked the first season as well on horse racing. It was very good - I love all the 30 by 30 podcasts - I"m not sure why this is different from the "ESPN Investigates" series since it's all under the ESPN umbrella. That's why I put the exact name of this podcast "the running man" cause when I heard of it and tried to find it took me a minute!

Back