Entering and leaving the field

I know the FIFA rule is to enter at the halfline and not to enter until the player your are replacing is off of the field.
What's the "official" protocol for youth play with unlimited subs?
It seems about 90% of the time, kids run off and kids run on as soon as the ref signals for a sub. But then you get that 10% ref that will only let you sub at the halfline and you must wait to run on until a player exits the field.

Seems to be a big time waster in a game with unlimited subs.

I know the FIFA rule is to enter at the halfline and not to enter until the player your are replacing is off of the field.
It seems about 90% of the time, kids run off and kids run on as soon as the ref signals for a sub. But then you get that 10% ref that will only let you sub at the halfline and you must wait to run on until a player exits the field.

The referee's duties include knowing how many players are on the field at all times. Doesn't seem like that big a deal to do what you can to help him out.

The referee's duties include knowing how many players are on the field at all times. Doesn't seem like that big a deal to do what you can to help him out.
+1
Also, remember that some of the consequences for misconduct are different depending upon whether the individual committing the misconduct is a player or substitute. Even with unlimited substitutes the referee needs to know who is a player and who is a substitute so that if misconduct occurs during the substitution process the proper disposition can be made. If a substitute is sent off then there's no impact on the number of players on the field. If a player is sent off then his/her team plays short. Best practice (as well as the LOTG!) has players entering at the halfway line after the player they're substituting has left the field.

As you note its up to the discretion of the referee. Many will waive the players on as they see the player clearly leaving. Some will be more strict when there are multiple subs, to make it easier to keep track of them.

Bad referees blow the whistle before the new player reaches their area of position, unless they are walking. Thank you to coaches that use the pinny transfer system. It helps keep track of the subs more easily.

A lot of factors play into how I regulate substitutions.
First is what do the tournament/gaming rules tell me. Do they specify that the player must be all the way off before the other player can come on? If so, than I have no choice how I run subs. If the rules only say that the sub may only enter with the referees permission, than I have leeway over how I control the subs.

Second is the length of game. If the games are full length, than I am strict about substitutions and go by the LOTG. Players must be fully off the field before the substitute can enter at midfield with no deviation. If the game has a short half such at 25 minutes with no add time for U14, than I am going to bring the sub on quickly. I do not care where the player exits the field (I prefer they do not exit in front of the other teams bench), but they must enter close to the midfield line.

Third is the age of the players. If the players are high school age, than I am strict about substitutions and go by the LOTG. Those few extra seconds during substitutions allow me to take care of game management issues such as to talk with players especially a player who is on the edge of getting a card, or to check on a player that may have got a minor injury. It also gives me a short break from the running since my 50 year old legs get tired after running around with 16-18 year olds after 2-3 90 minute games.

Fourth is the experience level of my AR's. With newer AR's I will usually be stricter about subs so the AR has a chance to learn the proper signaling techniques and controlling the subs. More experienced AR's know or should know how to control the subs.

Fifth, and a pet peeve of mine, is that the substitute MUST be up at the midfield line and have checked in with either the AR or 4th official. If the coach is yelling for a sub and there is no player standing at midfield and no injured player on the field, than I will not allow for a sub. This usually only has to happen once, maybe twice, before the coaches figure it out. I always instruct my AR's to brief the coaches before the game on the substitution procedures and will not start the game until I know they have talked with the coaches. That way the coaches cannot say they didn't know. If I am going to be strict on the subs, than I will also tell the players during the pre-game player check-in.

*** This is something that I always do and wish more referees did. I wait until the sub has come onto the field and gets into position before restarting play. I have seen far too many referees start play while a sub is still running 60 yards across the field to get into position. Not waiting for the sub to get into position is unsporting and provides an unfair advantage to the other team.

Have you ever denied a substitution because you thought a coach was using it as a way to waste time (run out the clock)?

Have you ever denied a substitution because you thought a coach was using it as a way to waste time (run out the clock)?

Oh, hell yes and especially if the other team is attempting a quick restart. I love that line in tournament rules: "Teams may substitute only with the referee's permission." I will use this a lot in tournaments with a running clock and no add time allowed. If a coach starts subbing at every stoppage and subbing out the furthest player from the bench, than I will definitely put a stop to it.

I know some refs that have a blanket policy of not allowing subs in the last few minutes of a game usually in the 3 to 5 minute range (injuries not withstanding).

I know some refs that have a blanket policy of not allowing subs in the last few minutes of a game usually in the 3 to 5 minute range (injuries not withstanding).

If the gaming rules will allow me to add time than I will allow the subs. I know a couple refs that have the policy of no subs in the last two minutes. Dumb policy since a coach may want to get that start forward back in the game or sub in an extra defender and change up the formation to go from a 4-4-2 to a 5-4-1.

IMHO, all high school age games should have limited substitution. Players may only sub out once per half or once in the first half and twice in the second.

I would go with no re-entry for first half and 1 re-entry for second half. Also this would be best for highschool age players.

Keeping track of whose able to return into a game and its half would be alot of accounting work for referees, but coaches need to stick to the spirit of the game and ensure their abiding by the governing rules.

In my opinion it would be easier to limit subs based on how many you can do. For highschool age players id say 4 subs allowed first half for each sides, doesnt matter who re-enters or not, 6 subs allowed second half, this way you rely on tactical strategy rather than swapping players and winning based on physicality.

We've all seen the massive squads where they just rotate constantly and have the horse like players that just gallop towards goal and brush everyone aside. These are little factors that will enable our youth players to develop their mental and strategic side.

If the player entering is ready and standing at halfway line prior to a stoppage and as soon as a substitution opportunity presents the player leaving exits at the closest boundary line, the process takes less than 5 seconds.

*** This is something that I always do and wish more referees did. I wait until the sub has come onto the field and gets into position before restarting play. I have seen far too many referees start play while a sub is still running 60 yards across the field to get into position. Not waiting for the sub to get into position is unsporting and provides an unfair advantage to the other team.
This is well and good for youth and Sunday geezer games. But for adults, when you substitute, the team should be able to move a player to cover that spot as needed until the positioning is sorted out, meaning, there shouldn't be any gaps regardless how soon after the substitution the game is restarted. It appears we are yet to achieve this level in the United States.

The other side of this is that coaches choose their moments of substitutions carefully so as not to create gaps. They choose moments where there is no opportunity for quick restarts, like their own goalkicks for example, or where the team can delay the restart until the substitute is in position. The team, and not the referee controls this. But here we must take it upon ourselves to delay the restart until they are in position. I actually sympathize with adult players who sometimes get frustrated with me when I delay the restart to allow substitutes to get into position. I always apologize when they express their frustrations.

Coaches, (and teams) have a right to use whatever strategies they see fit to win. I don't see a problem with that as long as the referee does not allow any team to win unfairly.

My method is, from the first minute, to have the player ready and standing at halfway line before the stoppage. I go over this with the coaches at check-in, have the AR remind the coaches right before the start of the game and the first time they scream "sub, sub, sub". I also have players leave the field from the closest point and not run across the field.

Keeping track of whose able to return into a game and its half would be alot of accounting work for referees, but coaches need to stick to the spirit of the game and ensure their abiding by the governing rules.
What's wrong with designing your own substitution chits based on the competition rules that players can hand to the AR before substituting? Why do we want coaches to do our work for us?

As referees, we MUST abide by competition rules. We cannot, and MUST NOT, make up rules. Our job is to implement competition rules provided. Period. That there are referees who would do this is very disappointing.

PS. I have not personally seen nor would I imagine anyone would do this, but since it's been posted, there must have been some basis.

Oh, hell yes and especially if the other team is attempting a quick restart. I love that line in tournament rules: "Teams may substitute only with the referee's permission." I will use this a lot in tournaments with a running clock and no add time allowed. If a coach starts subbing at every stoppage and subbing out the furthest player from the bench, than I will definitely put a stop to it.
This should be done from minute one. Furthest player from the bench should leave the field from the furthest boundary line from the bench.

If the gaming rules will allow me to add time than I will allow the subs. I know a couple refs that have the policy of no subs in the last two minutes. Dumb policy since a coach may want to get that start forward back in the game or sub in an extra defender and change up the formation to go from a 4-4-2 to a 5-4-1.

IMHO, all high school age games should have limited substitution. Players may only sub out once per half or once in the first half and twice in the second.

Or get his lineup set up for kicks from the mark.

I would go with no re-entry for first half and 1 re-entry for second half. Also this would be best for highschool age players.

In my opinion it would be easier to limit subs based on how many you can do. For highschool age players id say 4 subs allowed first half for each sides, doesnt matter who re-enters or not, 6 subs allowed second half, this way you rely on tactical strategy rather than swapping players and winning based on physicality.

We've all seen the massive squads where they just rotate constantly and have the horse like players that just gallop towards goal and brush everyone aside. These are little factors that will enable our youth players to develop their mental and strategic side.

Best?

Back