End of Summer

Been kind of quiet in here so I thought I would start a discussion. Over the summer I feel like there has been 3 tiers of teams.

Tier 1:
Blues and Slammers

Blues are obviously the team to beat but Blues vs Slammers games are always very close and at some point the Slammers or someone will beat the blues, no one stays undefeated forever. Plus the slammers are the only team to not lose to them with a draw.

Tier 2:
LA galaxy South Bay, Legends FC G08, SD surf green, Legends West, Eagles and SD surf

All these teams can beat each other on any given day but have struggled against the blues and Slammers. The exception being LA Galaxy SB who has beaten the Slammers twice but got beat very badly by the blues. So there is an argument for them being tier 1.

Tier 3:
Everyone else

The rest will continue to develop and get better but right now they are still below the top 8.

What do you guys think? Thoughts?

I would put Slammers in Tier 2 and leave Blues alone at Tier 1.
This past weekend was the first time between Blues and Slammers that was close.
At Albion cup Blues beat Slammers 4-1.

That's true but they had the Eagles best player guesting. Also they played at West Coast tournament 2-1. The blues are a step above at the moment but the only team that has shown that they could beat them is slammers. I don't know if they will though.

If that's the case than consider LA Galaxy or Legends. Based on scores looks like Legends played Blues 3 times and all 3 Blues won by 1 goal including the Final at West Coast.
Galaxy only loss is to Blues at Surf Cup final but other than that they won a few tournaments and like you said beat Slammers twice.
Eventually someone will beat Blues. Season starts this weekend and a few good games coming up for Blues.

You make great points but the fact that slammers are the only team not to lose to them this season I think they deserve to stay in tier 1. It's going to be a great season with so many competitive teams. Keep the great comments going.

I will put it out there that you are forgetting about LAGSD. Pretty much a new team and only lost to Blues 2-0 in Albion Cup. That was only our second game playing together, and as mentioned, Blues had player from Eagles guesting. This past weekend LAGSD was up on Blues 1-0 in the quarterfinals, but ended up a 1-1 tie at the end of regulation. Blues won in PK's.

I also watched Surf Arredondo play Blues to a 2-1 loss this past weekend, and Surf hit post and crossbar.

Even though Blues has not lost since Vegas Cup, I still think those teams you have at Tier1 AND Tier 2 can beat each other on any given day.

Those fields at Blues Cup equalized things a little. Way to small.

What about CDA?
Totally agree that fields were way too small, but I think they benefited Blues in the long run. Blues played six games over the 3 days with one sub. If fields were bigger, exhaustion/fitness may have had an impact on the results.

I've only seen CDA at Surf Cup this year, and that wasn't their best tournament. I would put them with those Tier1 and Tier2 teams.

Reactions: Q10
Totally agree that fields were way too small, but I think they benefited Blues in the long run. Blues played six games over the 3 days with one sub. If fields were bigger, exhaustion/fitness may have had an impact on the results.

I've only seen CDA at Surf Cup this year, and that wasn't their best tournament. I would put them with those Tier1 and Tier2 teams.

Oh yeah CDA was a pretty good team last year but this year they are towards the bottom of Tier 2. They can't seem to beat anyone regularly in tier 2 which is surprising with the talent they have. They did not look good at surf and they aren't in majority of the big tournaments. League should be interesting in the North, very competitive and showcase should be interesting too. Going to be a fun season but I can't wait to get away from these tiny fields and move to 9v9 next year. I think many of you share this feeling.

I would put Slammers in Tier 2 and leave Blues alone at Tier 1.
This past weekend was the first time between Blues and Slammers that was close.
At Albion cup Blues beat Slammers 4-1.
As a third party observer I watched this game and Slammers played the better soccer throughout the game, it should have been 4-1 Slammers. Rennie turned the tide yelling at ref enough that he switched multiple calls towards Blues after initially calling for Slammers. It was shocking and disappointing. Eagles guest player definitely made a difference and swung the tide to Blues with second half goal.

I will put it out there that you are forgetting about LAGSD. Pretty much a new team and only lost to Blues 2-0 in Albion Cup. That was only our second game playing together, and as mentioned, Blues had player from Eagles guesting. This past weekend LAGSD was up on Blues 1-0 in the quarterfinals, but ended up a 1-1 tie at the end of regulation. Blues won in PK's.

I also watched Surf Arredondo play Blues to a 2-1 loss this past weekend, and Surf hit post and crossbar.

Even though Blues has not lost since Vegas Cup, I still think those teams you have at Tier1 AND Tier 2 can beat each other on any given day.
LAGSD has two of the best players in Calsouth, but losing 5 players to Surf will limit their long term potential this year and in the future as we all move to 9v9. Have to ask yourself what the score of the games would be without best goalie in Calsouth. Similar to last year LAGSD may be peaking at Blues Cup before league where the top teams are continuing to improve in SCDSL while LAGSD languishs in SDDA.

As a third party observer I watched this game and Slammers played the better soccer throughout the game, it should have been 4-1 Slammers. Rennie turned the tide yelling at ref enough that he switched multiple calls towards Blues after initially calling for Slammers. It was shocking and disappointing. Eagles guest player definitely made a difference and swung the tide to Blues with second half goal.
First and Second half goal.

I would rate LAGSD goalie as the best in the age group. And I've seen a lot of games with all these top teams. And I have no stake in saying so, as my DD plays in LA.

Great fall season. There has been a little change to the Tiers but mostly remain the same. I think most major tournaments are done until State, might be one in there but it seems like the tiers are set from now until state.

Tier 1
Blues and Slammers are looking like the two best in SoCal and slammers I believe are the only team to beat the blues this year. Major applause to blues for being unbeaten for so long and slammers for finding a way to beat them. Blues win surf and Slammers win Silverlakes over thanksgiving so it’s looking like they are the two favorites for State final.

Tier 2
LAGSB, Legends, Legends West, Eagles, CDA Slammers, surf green, LAGSD

CDA has been playing well as of late and could move to tier 1 soon. The legends teams and surf green are very close as well. State should be a battle.

What do you guys think? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Great fall season. There has been a little change to the Tiers but mostly remain the same. I think most major tournaments are done until State, might be one in there but it seems like the tiers are set from now until state.

Tier 1
Blues and Slammers are looking like the two best in SoCal and slammers I believe are the only team to beat the blues this year. Major applause to blues for being unbeaten for so long and slammers for finding a way to beat them. Blues win surf and Slammers win Silverlakes over thanksgiving so it’s looking like they are the two favorites for State final.

Tier 2
LAGSB, Legends, Legends West, Eagles, CDA Slammers, surf green, LAGSD

CDA has been playing well as of late and could move to tier 1 soon. The legends teams and surf green are very close as well. State should be a battle.

What do you guys think? Thoughts? Suggestions?
Looks like Empire defeated LAGSD 3-1 in the Surf Challenge last weekend. Empire finished 3rd in CSL Silver South. It would be hard to argue that the teams in Silver South along with the Eagles in Silver North do not at least belong in the "Tier 2" discussion.

08 thread has been quiet for a while, I agree with teir 1 and 2 teams, the following team would make for a good tier 3 teams. They are all competitive and probably have beaten some tier 2 teams but probably not at that level yet but close.

Tier 2 teams have all beaten each other, and the teir 3 teams have all beaten each other.

Legends South
Empire
Beach FC
Fullerton Rangers White
Arsenal FC LA
Albion
OVC
SD Navy
La Mirada FC
South Valley Thunder

08 thread has been quiet for a while, I agree with teir 1 and 2 teams, the following team would make for a good tier 3 teams. They are all competitive and probably have beaten some tier 2 teams but probably not at that level yet but close.

Tier 2 teams have all beaten each other, and the teir 3 teams have all beaten each other.

Legends South
Empire
Beach FC
Fullerton Rangers White
Arsenal FC LA
Albion
OVC
SD Navy
La Mirada FC
South Valley Thunder
Based on these standings I would suggest FRAM FC Nunez and Worldwide be considered in this group.

https://coastsoccer.us/web/coastsoccer/standings?YEAR=2017&SEX=G&AGE=09&BRACKET=SS

Back