ECNL vs. DA turf war has created a 'toxic environment'

When the best selling point of a league is that for 4 months out of 10 you don't have to play in the league what is the point? That out of 4 months your kid gets to train in HS or play something other than HS I fail to understand the point of paying 3K a year plus travel to have a HS coach train my kid for 3-4 months.

The top league in OC for HS Soccer is the Trinity League. Waivers for DA players so it's a non issue. I will say for the 04' age group in OC very few kids walked away from DA. High school soccer is not super popular at most schools in OC. I know why but I'll leave that to myself....

Can you explain the waiver? Genuinely curious.

The top league in OC for HS Soccer is the Trinity League. Waivers for DA players so it's a non issue. I will say for the 04' age group in OC very few kids walked away from DA. High school soccer is not super popular at most schools in OC. I know why but I'll leave that to myself....
Not sure what part of OC you are from. But the south oc schools have about 50 freshman at their summer camp/leagues. (At least on the girls side)

Don't be like that. Tell us why.

Students at private schools can still play HS, since not playing may have an effect on their admission and/or tuition rate.

I thought the stipulation was that if a kid is getting a scholarship to a private school based on soccer, then they can play. If they are just attending or getting a financial break but not for soccer, then the restriction applies. The school has to provide docs to substantiate the waiver.

Could be wrong though

I thought the stipulation was that if a kid is getting a scholarship to a private school based on soccer, then they can play. If they are just attending or getting a financial break but not for soccer, then the restriction applies. The school has to provide docs to substantiate the waiver.

Could be wrong though

I have also been told that the private schools in So Cal don't give athletic scholarships, but I know from personal experience (and from inadvertent admissions by student-athletes or their parents that didn't know they were supposed to be quiet) that accommodations can be made in some cases.

Students at private schools can still play HS, since not playing may have an effect on their admission and/or tuition rate.

Seem unfair to treat players that attend private schools differently from how players that attend public schools are treated. Maybe there is something I am missing?

When the best selling point of a league is that for 4 months out of 10 you don't have to play in the league what is the point? That out of 4 months your kid gets to train in HS or play something other than HS I fail to understand the point of paying 3K a year plus travel to have a HS coach train my kid for 3-4 months.
choice, control, diversity, long-term focus, etc. - i am willing to pay the same, or more, for those

Seem unfair to treat players that attend private schools differently from how players that attend public schools are treated. Maybe there is something I am missing?

Only the best players go to private schools? The players at private schools are more likely to have lawyers for parents? The possible explanations are endless.

I was wondering about the use of the term "waiver" - I have read in the DA rules that players that attend private schools that require soccer (or some other sport) to satisfy extracurricular requirements will be allowed to play HS. I did not recall it being expressed as a "waiver" so was wondering if there was some other mechanism to which the commenter was referring.

Why do you think the scales have turned toward ECNL? I'm not disputing it, but I'm curious why that is so definitive. It seems like a mixed bag and I don't see a lot of clubs dropping DA if they don't do it by this year. I thought Blues and Real Colorado would have dropped, but that didn't happen. Especially if you live in SoCal, I don't really see it. The clubs at the bottom of both leagues aren't great. And the only good ECNL club pre-DA was Slammers. Eagles is back, but they were a disaster before DA when their most prominent coach was arrested. At least the top clubs in DA SoCal conference are legit.
Outside of SoCal and Texas, most of the top clubs have moved to ECNL. However, it's fairly split in SoCal as well. I would say that's a move towards ECNL. Honestly, like most folks on this forum, I would love it if there was one league with the best players playing each other. My DD wants to be a pro, be on the NT and take soccer that farthest she can. Unfortunately, she's gonna have to wait til college because she plays on an ECNL team and will be overlooked until then.

Some of those high school coaches are also highly-regarded club coaches.

choice, control, diversity, long-term focus, etc. - i am willing to pay the same, or more, for those

But you're paying more for less AND paying for anything extra on top of it.

What is so long term focus about 1/3 of the season spent away from the club coach and the higher level club players and training for HS?

Some of those high school coaches are also highly-regarded club coaches.

But the season is so compressed and the focus is so heavily geared towards results that development is simply thrown out the window. You might as well just join track for all the soccer development will come out of playing HS.

But the season is so compressed and the focus is so heavily geared towards results that development is simply thrown out the window. You might as well just join track for all the soccer development will come out of playing HS.

You need a better high school.

You need a better high school.

A better school will make the HS season longer?

A better school will make all the other crappy HS teams better?

A better school will get those 3-4 months of lost club training back that I paid for?

Can ECNL also market the better school as part of their "All In" campaign?

A better school will make the HS season longer?

A better school will make all the other crappy HS teams better?

A better school will get those 3-4 months of lost club training back that I paid for?

Can ECNL also market the better school as part of their "All In" campaign?

A better high school might have better coaches and a better multi-year program to develop uncertain Freshmen players into killer Seniors.

A better high school might have better coaches and a better multi-year program to develop uncertain Freshmen players into killer Seniors.

How does a 4 month season develop any player into a killer senior?

And how does being a killer senior in the spring season help with recruiting?

Back