ECNL Championship Draw

Not from Around here ... Well I'll be a Sombitch - Great Post! ... Super Insightful
Appreciate that.

Solar '03 is the gold standard around here in Texas and I feel like a lot of people (that means parents) resent them. I hate when my daughter's team loses to them, but that just serves as motivation to her and her teammates.

Also, turftoe9 posted a few pages back on this thread. Pretty sure that is a Solar parent that can chime in as well.

Also, also, I believe that 2-4 players from Liverpool Elite '03 have left that team to join Solar '03 DA. Again, very logical - the best girls from the best non DA team in our region leaving for a better opportunity. And yes, I think the other two DA programs here got a few LP Elite girls to join as well.

Appreciate that.

Solar '03 is the gold standard around here in Texas and I feel like a lot of people (that means parents) resent them. I hate when my daughter's team loses to them, but that just serves as motivation to her and her teammates.

Also, turftoe9 posted a few pages back on this thread. Pretty sure that is a Solar parent that can chime in as well.

Also, also, I believe that 2-4 players from Liverpool Elite '03 have left that team to join Solar '03 DA. Again, very logical - the best girls from the best non DA team in our region leaving for a better opportunity. And yes, I think the other two DA programs here got a few LP Elite girls to join as well.

Good intel, thanks...what will be very interesting with DA and super teams is how long these so called teams will stay together? With the DA substitution rules, high level players sitting out for an extended period will not make happy players or parents.

Good intel, thanks...what will be very interesting with DA and super teams is how long these so called teams will stay together? With the DA substitution rules, high level players sitting out for an extended period will not make happy players or parents.
Bingo! We stepped back from DA at least for a year to stay ECNL just to see what we see. DD will get a fast if DA though through DP for six games. We felt this was really the perfect situation until a year of DA has gone by to re-evaluate.

Totally agree that twill be quite interesting to see if "super teams" can retain their talent given the subbing rules.

How is that any different than the 3-4 girls that constantly sit on the bench in ECNL right now with a roster of 18? :)

It's different, because not all ECNL teams are super teams. Not every ECNL coach recruit players like the Bakers did.

I would go further and say very few ECNL teams are super teams. Not to mention there is reentry in an ECNL game so the 17th and 18th player at least get 5-10 minutes.

It is required that players start a minimum of 25% games. That may ensure more play time opportunity than current rules where those that sit on the bench never start and maybe only play a brief time in a game without any requirements of play time.

How is that any different than the 3-4 girls that constantly sit on the bench in ECNL right now with a roster of 18? :)
I know there are some differences in the rules between ECNL and DA, but for the '03s and '04s I don't see much difference between this past year and next year. In our area, the ECNL players and coaches pretty much moved "up" to DA. Same teams, new letters.

My questions is, what's happening to the '02s? What are SoCal clubs doing to accommodate those very talented '02s that will not get a lot of playing time on (or maybe not even make) the '01/'02 DA teams? How are your clubs combining those 2 ECNL teams into 1 DA team? Honestly, I am not even sure how the north Texas teams are handling this.

I know there are some differences in the rules between ECNL and DA, but for the '03s and '04s I don't see much difference between this past year and next year. In our area, the ECNL players and coaches pretty much moved "up" to DA. Same teams, new letters.

My questions is, what's happening to the '02s? What are SoCal clubs doing to accommodate those very talented '02s that will not get a lot of playing time on (or maybe not even make) the '01/'02 DA teams? How are your clubs combining those 2 ECNL teams into 1 DA team? Honestly, I am not even sure how the north Texas teams are handling this.

Talented 01/02 playing DA, others playing ECNL.

So, are your U17 DA teams a good split of '01s and '02s, or are they mostly '01s?

Everyone handled it different

The ones I know with 02

Carlsbad has maybe 2
Surf I think has zero
West coast has 3
Slammers is pretty heavy 02 not sure if it's 50% but it's more than the others
Blues has several 02

Surf I think has zero

I've been wondering for a while if this would even be allowed. Guess this is my answer. It makes sense if you look at anything with age when it comes to soccer. As long as they don't play down, go ahead!

I would guess that the '02's that are getting the worst deal are those at clubs that no loner have ECNL (like RSC and Eagles). Many of the '02's at those clubs would have been playing ECNL for a couple of years and now will be on a DA2 team, whatever that will be. Not sure if they will get great coaching or top competition to play against. They go from playing at the top level to playing on a 2nd or 3rd level team. I am guessing that several of those top players may leave to go elsewhere which will make those teams even less competitive.

It is required that players start a minimum of 25% games. That may ensure more play time opportunity than current rules where those that sit on the bench never start and maybe only play a brief time in a game without any requirements of play time.

I know a few boys DA parents who say this is not the case as there are no enforcement of that rule.

Talented 01/02 playing DA, others playing ECNL.
I am relatively certain that you are right for a number of DA teams. I would further that statement with this: Talented players will also be playing ECNL while 'others' play DA.

You will see this starting right here in SoCal with the 02 and 01 Blues teams. They are remaining ECNL at least for another season for a couple reasons but one in particular is to see if US Soccer GDA ends up at least being on par with ECNL. I like ECNL. I think I will like DA. Not hating on it just encourage everyone to pace themselves as we move through the next couple of years during the GDA (and ECNL re-inventing itself) development.

Really should hold off on any "this league better than that league" banter IMO. Still too early to know.

Back