ECNL Championship Draw Best XI's TDS

She was there. Watch the final they just won- #20. Third goal FIRE. She is fantastic

Darn! I was traveling and was trying to stream the final game but was having trouble so I only saw bits of the first half. Wonder if there is a way to see the final now?

#20 was fabulous. If I was her parenting would have her working with a private trainer but she is a game changer for sure.

This is an excellent interview of Anson Dorrance. He touches on the GDA, ECNL, college soccer and international soccer. Very insightful. Notice what he says about college soccer and it's value in the 18-22 age band globally.

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-soccer-articles/ask-a-coach:-uncs-anson-dorrance_aid42067
Zoro had a similiar opinion years ago and he was right.

As for Anson mentioning the relative age effect. IMO, seeing more 4th qtr calender year players is due to the old club soccer cut off being 8/1. Club teams were loading up on the bigger players born Aug to Dec. Now with the clubs mandated to use calender year. We should he seeing more Jan-April birth years.

The keeper for the U15 Blues Baker team committed to UCLA for the class of 2020. That is 2 Blues players for them for 2020. Expect #20 and #6 to be next.
Cali schools must love having so much talent in the backyard to help avoid out-of-state schollie costs?

Cali schools must love having so much talent in the backyard to help avoid out-of-state schollie costs?

It definitely helps if you have a lot of local talent. It eases that transition to college when you have family and friends close. Outside of playing for Stanford and possibly Cal or an Ivy the local schools have a big advantage when it comes to courting local talent. Usually if UCLA or $C (and to a lesser degree Pepperdine) come calling and make an offer they usually get the local player.

It definitely helps if you have a lot of local talent. It eases that transition to college when you have family and friends close. Outside of playing for Stanford and possibly Cal or an Ivy the local schools have a big advantage when it comes to courting local talent. Usually if UCLA or $C (and to a lesser degree Pepperdine) come calling and make an offer they usually get the local player.
Agree. If memory serves, when my DD was on her second or third visit to Santa Clara they were in the ballpark of 50% for freshman year then a little more each successive season depending upon players performance.

Agree. If memory serves, when my DD was on her second or third visit to Santa Clara they were in the ballpark of 50% for freshman year then a little more each successive season depending upon players performance.

There is definite value in staying in state.

There is definite value in staying in state.
I wonder if the privates (Stanford, $C, Pepperdine, Santa Clara, LMU, etc.) just simply go for the talent that fits their needs without much thought as to 'in-state/outta-state' consideration? There's gotta be a benefit to being private versus public at some level and in some states (SoCal being primary) that are facing huge financial crisis?

I wonder if the privates (Stanford, $C, Pepperdine, Santa Clara, LMU, etc.) just simply go for the talent that fits their needs without much thought as to 'in-state/outta-state' consideration? There's gotta be a benefit to being private versus public at some level and in some states (SoCal being primary) that are facing huge financial crisis?

All those schools that you mentioned are good schools so that helps. I think that there are several different strategies that those schools employ. Stanford obviously recruits from the YNT pool with little regard for out of state or in state. It helps that California is blessed with the largest pool of talent so for many they don't have to worry about the out of state vs in state issue. $C is a top 25-20 academic school with a big time sports program and robust alumni network in SoCal (one of the 3 most desirable locations to live in) so they have a huge advantage too. Pepperdine, Santa Clara and LMU are all good schools with tons of benefits. I think that when they are recruiting out of state players they are on equal footing in terms of cost with the two major state schools (UCLA and Cal) because the out of state tuition for those schools put them in the same price range for out of state players.

Any way that you slice it most of the in state schools that play soccer are pretty good choices.

All those schools that you mentioned are good schools so that helps. I think that there are several different strategies that those schools employ. Stanford obviously recruits from the YNT pool with little regard for out of state or in state. It helps that California is blessed with the largest pool of talent so for many they don't have to worry about the out of state vs in state issue. $C is a top 25-20 academic school with a big time sports program and robust alumni network in SoCal (one of the 3 most desirable locations to live in) so they have a huge advantage too. Pepperdine, Santa Clara and LMU are all good schools with tons of benefits. I think that when they are recruiting out of state players they are on equal footing in terms of cost with the two major state schools (UCLA and Cal) because the out of state tuition for those schools put them in the same price range for out of state players.

Any way that you slice it most of the in state schools that play soccer are pretty good choices.

It's really a goldmine for those schools and in many instances for the players as well. The alumni network IMO is one of the most overlooked aspects of the recruiting process. I'm glad you mentioned that especially for those that peruse these pages for a nugget of recruiting insight. That is HUGE IMO.

It's really a goldmine for those schools and in many instances for the players as well. The alumni network IMO is one of the most overlooked aspects of the recruiting process. I'm glad you mentioned that especially for those that peruse these pages for a nugget of recruiting insight. That is HUGE IMO.

I agree 100%. Having a strong alumni network is HUGE. This is where the Ivies really stand out too. Good luck to you and your player.

Another advantage to attending a private university like USC, SU, SCU, USD, LMU, Pepperdine is that you are more likely to get all the classes you need in order to graduate in four years. Even as an athlete with preference, sometimes you just can't get the classes you need when you need them to progress in your major so might have to go an extra semester or two at a public university that is impacted.

Another advantage to attending a private university like USC, SU, SCU, USD, LMU, Pepperdine is that you are more likely to get all the classes you need in order to graduate in four years. Even as an athlete with preference, sometimes you just can't get the classes you need when you need them to progress in your major so might have to go an extra semester or two at a public university that is impacted.
Its also a bonus going to a small private school where world class professors have twenty people in a class, vs. 300 or more in one of the mega state institutions.

Back