ECNL Battle of the SW

Saw this on Instagram. Looks like a pretty cool concept. Curious how it turned out?Looks like a good showcasing opportunity.

All 17 SW ECNL teams playing games in one location for the weekend, with an 18th club from the Midwest brought in to even out the numbers.

How is this different from ECNL Soutwest League?

Is it just a one weekend tournament of all the same teams you already play in league?

How would you evenly seed out the brackets?

How would this work if you can only realistically play 2 games a day + even that's pushing it. (3 or 4 day weekend?)

What would make more sense is a Socal vs Norcal ECNL 2 weekend tournament. First week Socal goes to Norcal + Second weekend Norcal goes to Socal. Every year who visits the other first switches.

This would be drivable for both Norcal and Socal to cut down costs + just use all the same fields already used during league.

ECNL or local clubs could get a portion of the stay and play hotel fees.

How is this different from ECNL Soutwest League?

Is it just a one weekend tournament of all the same teams you already play in league?

How would you evenly seed out the brackets?

How would this work if you can only realistically play 2 games a day + even that's pushing it. (3 or 4 day weekend?)

I think what they did is take all the league games that were going to be played this weekend and put them all in one place instead of at 8 or 9 different locations and marketed it as “Battle of the SW.”

I’m home sick near death with a sinus inflection, so I’m scrolling Instagram on a beautiful Sunday instead of being outside and I came across it. Just curious as I haven’t seen the league do something like that before.

I think what they did is take all the league games that were going to be played this weekend and put them all in one place instead of at 8 or 9 different locations and marketed it as “Battle of the SW.”

I’m home sick near death with a sinus inflection, so I’m scrolling Instagram on a beautiful Sunday instead of being outside and I came across it. Just curious as I haven’t seen the league do something like that before.
That is correct!

That is correct!

It seemed to work well. It was just regularly scheduled league games all played at one location for all teams in the SW ECNL and ECRL Leagues . One game Sat, one game Sun. Not nearly as crowded as a showcase/cup event. All the clubs teams play on the same two adjacent fields, so all the clubs coaches can set up under one set of team canopies for the entire day, and all be in one place. No unbalanced bracketing shenanigans. More scouts than I have ever seen attend a showcase, tournament, etc.. It also fell on Away games scheduled with AZ teams for us, so worked very well. Traded a trip to Phoenix for a trip to Silverlakes. This is the Way!

Also had a couple of college exhibition games, USC v. LMU, CSU Fullerton v. PLNU. All in all, a good environment. Walking the grounds it was interesting to see a number of college scouts actually watching RL games too.

It seemed to work well. It was just regularly scheduled league games all played at one location for all teams in the SW ECNL and ECRL Leagues . One game Sat, one game Sun. Not nearly as crowded as a showcase/cup event. All the clubs teams play on the same two adjacent fields, so all the clubs coaches can set up under one set of team canopies for the entire day, and all be in one place. No unbalanced bracketing shenanigans. More scouts than I have ever seen attend a showcase, tournament, etc.. It also fell on Away games scheduled with AZ teams for us, so worked very well. Traded a trip to Phoenix for a trip to Silverlakes. This is the Way!

Our RL team was supposed to be in AZ on Saturday as well, so it was great. Today we played the MN ECNL team and that was a great opportunity to play a team at that level. There were college coaches at both games. I think it was a great idea that worked well.

Thought it was great. Felt like the old SCDSL East when all our games were at Silverlakes. Got to watch Blues vs Surf, Koge vs Legends, Eagles vs 2 Az teams and then our matches too. Saw a USNT scout watching the youngers play as well as a SoCal PDP scout.

Our team did not originally have a Sunday league game scheduled so they coordinated a friendly with an older E64 team to play our ECRL team on Sunday as part of the Battle of the Southwest event as it appeared the Midwest team didn’t have Youngers to compete against us?

I’d like to see more of these types of mini events in the future. Didn’t get a chance to watch the college teams play (that’s when our games were scheduled) but love the idea of it.

Now that the details are more clear this is a very good idea.

ECNL turned Southwest league games into a local showcase type event.

Makes a lot of sense. If recruiters are looking for local talent having all the teams together in one place saves a lot on transportation costs needed to check out different players.

Agreed it was a great concept, and it worked out well. While one of our games was a "Home" game (San Diego is home), I didn't mind trading that for not having to go to Arizona for the other "Away" game...

Lots of college coaches wandering around with their banquet chair borrowed from the complex. Smart college coaches with their foldable chairs in a bag...

Now that the details are more clear this is a very good idea.

ECNL turned Southwest league games into a local showcase type event.

Makes a lot of sense. If recruiters are looking for local talent having all the teams together in one place saves a lot on transportation costs needed to check out different players.
I told everyone to do this 4 years ago. I love competition, even when I lose fair & square. My first ECNL showcase was depressing. I saw the truth. Make the showcases actually real games with real meaning and not about individuals trying to showoff her or his skilz. Always make it about Ganas and TEAM, no "I" in TEAM, moo.

A great idea. Last year they did something similar on a smaller scale. My daughter was recruited at the Legends Showcase June, 2022 at Silverlakes. Legends had all there SoCal Soccer league teams playing that weekend with outside teams competing (including our daughters team) in a showcase tournament plus they then included league games for their ECNL and ECRL teams along with some other clubs and listed them in the showcase. Then had 100+ colleges recruiting. Colleges watched my daughter play two games, then moved over to the ECNL teams and watched them play, specifically the keepers. She got a text that Sunday night, wife and daughter headed to the college that Thursday, committed on that Thursday.

Hopefully the clubs knew about this ahead of time so that the players could send emails to colleges with their schedules. While my daughter never played ECNL/RL, any girl in So Cal that wants to play college should consider going that route as they will get many more eyes on their kid.

I told everyone to do this 4 years ago. I love competition, even when I lose fair & square. My first ECNL showcase was depressing. I saw the truth. Make the showcases actually real games with real meaning and not about individuals trying to showoff her or his skilz. Always make it about Ganas and TEAM, no "I" in TEAM, moo.
Legend in your own mind!

Thought it was great. Felt like the old SCDSL East when all our games were at Silverlakes. Got to watch Blues vs Surf, Koge vs Legends, Eagles vs 2 Az teams and then our matches too. Saw a USNT scout watching the youngers play as well as a SoCal PDP scout.

Our team did not originally have a Sunday league game scheduled so they coordinated a friendly with an older E64 team to play our ECRL team on Sunday as part of the Battle of the Southwest event as it appeared the Midwest team didn’t have Youngers to compete against us?

I’d like to see more of these types of mini events in the future. Didn’t get a chance to watch the college teams play (that’s when our games were scheduled) but love the idea of it.
Wind-wise, Sunday was better than Saturday. Thought everything was great but the wind, which can be an issue at Silverlakes. I hate watching set piece services get carried OB.

Wouldn't it be nice if they did this frequently, but maybe break it up to two areas and have one area play on Saturday while the other one plays on Sunday. All San Diego ECNL teams have home games at Polo Fields on the same day. (SURF, SHARKS, REBELS) All Orange County Teams have home games at Great Park on the same day. (different day then San Diego) LA and Ventura County teams can switch back and forth. Arizona teams can do the same...etc.

Wind-wise, Sunday was better than Saturday. Thought everything was great but the wind, which can be an issue at Silverlakes. I hate watching set piece services get carried OB.
Having played golf a number of years, I'd always account for the wind (not my slice though). I don't know how many times kids are taking a free kick and they can't figure out what a cross wind will do to their shot. :eek: My wife will tell you I've picked up a couple pieces of grass to see what direction it is going pretty much every game.

Back