Dual sports and scholarships. Anyone with any knowledge about it?

socalkdg

PREMIER
Dual sports and scholarships. Anyone with any knowledge about it? How to contact coaches from the same school, how the scholarship might work, is it even possible for the kid to do both in college (which might actually be the biggest factor).

My daughter dabbled in track last year. Ran two events with a few practices. Turns out that she is pretty fast, fastest on the her soccer team and might be top 2-3 on her track team. Who knew since she is a goalkeeper. Looking at the NCSA recruiting standards if she improves her times a bit, she might get some interest.

Dual sports and scholarships. Anyone with any knowledge about it? How to contact coaches from the same school, how the scholarship might work, is it even possible for the kid to do both in college (which might actually be the biggest factor).

My daughter dabbled in track last year. Ran two events with a few practices. Turns out that she is pretty fast, fastest on the her soccer team and might be top 2-3 on her track team. Who knew since she is a goalkeeper. Looking at the NCSA recruiting standards if she improves her times a bit, she might get some interest.
From my limited personal experience, running track will help with recruiting for your “primary” sport if your kid is top ranked in their event in your State or Nationally. I guess a top ranked track star could also get help with admissions and if my kid was a keeper, this is definitely an alternative route that I would explore.

Sorry, but all of my friends that excelled in track received football and basketball scholarships so they didn’t pursue the track option.

Abigail Kim that recently graduated from Cal is the most notable example of a female soccer player that’s also a track star that I am aware of.

I know a girls who has dual scholarship for soccer and track. I'll find out for you.

Track scholarship recipients I know were expected to run cross-country n the fall, even if they had never run it in high school.

I heard somewhere that cross country scholarships for female athletes are more fruitful than soccer scholarships. (Meaning there are more scholarships available and they cover more costs) Not sure if track is the same.

I heard somewhere that cross country scholarships for female athletes are more fruitful than soccer scholarships. (Meaning there are more scholarships available and they cover more costs) Not sure if track is the same.
DD says that when they practice on the field that is surrounded by the track, they find vomit all over the field from the track athletes. Soccer practice sounds hard, but not much vomit.

You can definitely do soccer and track as long as both coaches support it. I know someone doing it. And, you can get partial scholarship money from both sports.

just got an answer....at her school they alternated scholarships. 1st year it was track, 2nd year soccer and so on. I would assume that not every school will be doing it the same way.

just got an answer....at her school they alternated scholarships. 1st year it was track, 2nd year soccer and so on. I would assume that not every school will be doing it the same way.

None of the D1 school coaches would let my DD do another sport when she was getting offers. I know college soccer keeps her busy all but a month or so in the summer.

Check out Chloe Chapman who currently plays both soccer and basketball at D1 P5 University of Georgia, with success in both sports. Incredibly impressive.

DD says that when they practice on the field that is surrounded by the track, they find vomit all over the field from the track athletes. Soccer practice sounds hard, but not much vomit.
My kid does soccer, cross country and track. Lots of vomiting in distance running for sure. It’s very intense, she runs 6-9 miles a day all year round, 5 days a week with some sprint and hill workouts. She also plays club soccer year round. She says soccer is super easy compared to the level of work needed for cross country.

Georgetown just recruited a track and soccer recruit. She will be a Freshman next year.

Georgetown just recruited a track and soccer recruit. She will be a Freshman next year.
Also, Dorsey plays Lacrosse and soccer for UNC. She tore her ACL her junior year In high school and still started in both sports at UNC. Impressive.

Back