Do your GKs play other sports?

Curious how many of your GKs play other sports. We have always played other sports and it has had a very positive effect, and been supported by the GK coach. Soccer is the only club sport we play, so it is front and center. Getting older certainly makes it hard to fit it other sports, but curious as to how many GKs are playing more than soccer.

My son really hasn't been too interested in other team sports, and since he's in DA, he wouldn't be able to now anyway. But he is working on his black belt in Kung Fu, which we've noticed has helped in a number of ways for him.

My DD plays Volleyball, Basketball, and Track for her school.

All 3 have helped her with her footwork, tracking the ball, angles, spacing amongst teammates, speed, conditioning, and her hands have been critical playing center in the post for basketball.

My daughter plays club volleyball, although that will be ending with DA starting up. She’ll still do beach volleyball, because she can pick and choose her schedule for that.

REPOST FROM ANOTHER DISUSSION>>>>>>.my dd is an 02 and is 6'1.........she played full time keeper since U8.....but played rec seasons to get field experience, so she did not suffer too bad on the footskills and ball handling........going back now I think both basketball and beach volleyball have been the best contributors to her success at the 10-15 age range that I could have done for her.....not just what the sport itself provides for cross train....but with the big growth spurts of a big athletic girl we had to trust that playing in the sand has helped with her balance...agility and core strength as well as keeping her injury free to this point.......Soccer first Tho.....

Mine plays tennis in the fall and runs track and field in the spring. She’s done both for many years (tennis lessons as a younger kid and then HS both years, track every spring since 3rd grade.) Soccer is her only club sport. At her school, the students are required to participate in an afternoon activity year round and my kid picks the team sports. Honestly, we’ve encouraged her to take it a bit easier with yoga or hiking type stuff, but my kid is after the award her school gives for 12 seasons of a CIF sport. Very few girls get it at her school and she set her sights on it freshman year.

Mine plays "fortnite" (a video game) but will likely go out for HS Football in fall as the punter/kicker. Previously the kid played basketball and football/pop warner. A few weeks ago he announced his attention to play football. When asked why he said "I want to go out and hit somebody without getting a red card." Okay. Makes sense. Worse he will get is a yellow flag.

Mine plays "fortnite" (a video game) but will likely go out for HS Football in fall as the punter/kicker. Previously the kid played basketball and football/pop warner. A few weeks ago he announced his attention to play football. When asked why he said "I want to go out and hit somebody without getting a red card." Okay. Makes sense. Worse he will get is a yellow flag.
LOL...and that is why he is a Keeper. My daughter too plays video games. I have asked her about different sports and she has no interest except for Fencing. LOL

If you count riding dirtbikes/quads in the desert then yes. Or depending where we camp..if you can shoot out there too..she likes to get some range time. I told her when she turned 10 I'd teach her to shoot and drive the UTV. It took her two years before she decided she wanted to drive. She had no desire to drive before that but likes shooting.:eek:

My son does martial arts but has begun to dislike it (even though he's only 2 belts off his black)....he just rather do soccer all the time and resents that I make him do something else and won't let him drop it when he's so close.

Between academics, keeping up with the field stuff at his age (which I consider a separate sport) and year round GK and karate there's not a whole lot of time left....used to ride horses (dodged that bullet), used to do swimming (got bored going back and forth across the pool or swimming when it was cold), used to do some rec basketball (didn't really like it). The entire family still does 5ks during the holidays (my sons have long ago left me in the dirt). We occasionally chat about what he might take up when martial arts are over...maybe tennis.

Fortnight is the big thing among kids these days. Both mine play. Miss the days before organized sports we had Disneyland passes and could go every week (they were very little then).

My daughter is in 8th grade and at the Jr. High she played 2 years of Basketball (point guard), 2 years of Volleyball (outside hitter) and 1 year of Softball (shortstop).

Still up in the air what she will do next year in HS. I believe its Volleyball in the Fall and either Basketball or Soccer in the Winter (or possibly both at the same time)...we will see.

my kid will have meltdowns when i take the ps4 controllers and his phone so he cant play fortnite. My son use to train in TKD and BJJ before the club schedule hit - and school he trained at was getting ridiculous with fees, even with one belt off going black. Martial Arts gives kids strong balance - if they focus on doing thing correctly. My kid has no desire to get back into Martial Arts - which bums me out a bit but cant force it. well i could, but that would be draining for me.

My DD did lacrosse for two years in middle school and volleyball for her freshman year in HS. We both had visions of her being a two sport star in HS, but we were quickly disabused of that notion, even though she was a great VB player. The coaches make it almost impossible to do double sports. They want 110% commitment, and HS VB overlaps with club soccer, and in the off-season, both HS VB and Soccer coaches had grueling work-out demands, so something had to give. Side note: Even though she practices soccer year round, the only time she ever had "overuse" injuries was the year she did VB and soccer. After years of playing keeper and being essentially injury free, we found out just how valuable recovery time is!

No other sports unless you count Futsal and Football at PE. He actually loves playing Football because he says it's easier to catch and diving for the ball comes naturally.

My Son (05) has been Juggling Travel Ball Baseball and Club Soccer for Several years. It's been Crazy but he Loves Both. The Eye Hand Coordination practiced in Baseball compliments his Keeper Skills and Vice Versa. All of his coaches have been Great with it. I will say though that it's harder to miss a soccer game as the only Keeper on the team than it is to miss a Baseball game with several backups. Our club is good about calling up keepers from within the club.

My daughter will tell you she plays three sports: soccer, futsal and arena soccer. She dabbled with a few others but to little extent. I could not get her to bit on Krav Maga (even though she had fun at some of the classes).

My 03 DD played VB & BB for her school when she was in 8th grade last year. Unfortunately, she tore her ACL playing BB. She missed the current 2017/2018 season. She just got medically realsased and getting back with her old Club.

Mine played basketball until high school and then the club BB coach said she had to decide. She picked soccer LOL

Basketball and Soccer. For a keeper basketball seems the best sport to cross train with. She blocked a shot this past weekend that 6 months ago would have been a goal. Plus my kid wants to play club soccer and High School basketball, and I worry that shutting her down on other sports might make her hate the sport she is best in. I did say no to her playing baseball yesterday. Crazy kids we have.

Back