Do ref complaints matter?

Discussion in 'C'mon Ref!' started by Monkey, Oct 2, 2017.

1. TangoCity

TangoCity Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +491 / 10
    Of course there are no guarantees but if those tools aren't used - or used even close to correctl
    I think that is what most people are saying. The player/coach (maybe even parent of player) is responsible for the dirty play and injury the first time. When there are a dozen wreckless fouls with many of them bordering on violent with teammates congratulating each other for injuring players and the referee has done NOTHING other than call some of them fouls then the referee becomes complicit in the carnage. Yes, it is not the referee slamming a players head into the ground, yes it is not the referee who throws a punch at someone's face -- but when the referee utterly fails to act on it then he/she has enabled those dirty players to continue what they are doing. Yes, the players and teams are the ones who should be punished but that referee needs to be retrained or find another low paying hobby.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. watfly

watfly Active Member

Ratings:
    +172 / 4
    I don't think that anyone is saying that most injuries are the primary fault of the referee. However, its the USSF's position that the referee's fundamental responsibility is for the safety of the players. We have all seen refs, although, very few, that have not fulfilled that responsibility. What I believe the non-ref posters are trying to articulate is the safety situation that you described below (emphasis added). No one can deny that allowing nasty play can easily lead to unneeded injuries. For me the only reason a complaint should be filed against a ref should be in those situations where the ref compromised player safety or was abusive.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Surfref

Surfref Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +968 / 12
    I made $1337 last month with an average of $44 an hour. Doesn’t sound low paying to me and it definitely is not a hobby. The IRS auditor that reviewed my tax return two years ago refered to refereeing as a professional career since we have to be credentialed and maintain continuing education.

I will agree with you that if the Referee does not use the tools (fouls, cards, voice, advantage) at their disposal to manage the game that they are partially responsible. The majority of the time referees do use their tools and players still act badly, but the Referee gets the blame when it should be the coach and player. There are a few referees out there that probably should drop their whistle in the trash and go find something else to do on the weekends. The majority, 99 percent, of refs enter the field with the intention of calling a good, safe, and competitive game.