Did anyone catch the US Soccer President Candidates Forum from Philadelphia?

You have a point but you are off base in bashing Coerver as a money maker. You can get quality soccer DVD sets for less than a $100 where they break down and show you moves, Wall ball drills, cone drills, and these drills work incredibly well. Totally worth the money.

It’s a total waste of time and money to scout HS soccer. There are so many bad players in HS soccer that the good players can’t even show what they’re capable of.

Hope Solo has a vicious temper and complete lack of self control. She should not be in charge.

She beat up a male twice her size who attacked her in a family dispute. What else you got?

You have a point but you are off base in bashing Coerver as a money maker. You can get quality soccer DVD sets for less than a $100 where they break down and show you moves, Wall ball drills, cone drills, and these drills work incredibly well. Totally worth the money.

It’s a total waste of time and money to scout HS soccer. There are so many bad players in HS soccer that the good players can’t even show what they’re capable of.

Hope Solo has a vicious temper and complete lack of self control. She should not be in charge.
Did you ever heard of Youtube? You can get all that training and more freely there so why pay for a gimmick. Plus clubs pay a license to be coerver "certified".

HS soccer is bad? A good player would make those around them better, and probably will show that they are actually that good, because they don't depend in a All Star Squad to make themselves good. And I do value the training/competition among same caliber players, but not everybody is the same and there are qualities that players can't display in these super stack systematic teams.

I'm with you on this but things are already changing for the younger generation coming up and not US soccer making the changes.

These huge training facilitys are popping up throughout the nation that offer pick up Futsal multiple nights a week and high intensity training for peanuts on the dollar with actual proven professionals coaching with out fake accents and bad looking track suits.

I'm interested in seeing results over the next 10 years because these facilities are hosting and catering to the youth. If your a committed athlete and grind from 6-16 years old in that type of environment, how can you not improve.
We have such a facility in our area but I would hardly say that training costs peanuts on the dollar. The training is top notch but very very expensive.

She might be a firecracker, but she's honestly blunt! We need that, someone that will not be afraid to tell Don Garber that his capitalist model of pro soccer sucks, someone that will make sure USWNT gets their fair salary in comparison to their sucky counterparts in USMNT, someone that will end up the cronism, politics and red tape within the entire US Soccer. She might not be perfect, however she brings a change that's desperately needed! Oh and I forgot that she won 2 Olympic Gold medals and 1 World Cup!

Reads like an ad for academy.
The coaching on passing and receiving at academy is so good. The drills they run are incredible. USSDA gives the coaches a book of passing and receiving drills, where they set up cones and have multiple sets of kids doing various passsing and receiving combinations on the run. They change up the patterns constantly and what happens is after doing those drills for several months, the boys have learned the geometries of the passing game and can do all sorts of pass-move combos on the fly without thinking.

There’s no way that I, as “dad coach”, could even attempt to do those kinds of drills. Even the academy coaches had to be trained in how to run these types of drills. I know you like to bash the academy teams for the bad results of US Soccer, but the academy program is raising the level of coaching, and hopefully that will filter down.

The coaching on passing and receiving at academy is so good. The drills they run are incredible. USSDA gives the coaches a book of passing and receiving drills, where they set up cones and have multiple sets of kids doing various passsing and receiving combinations on the run. They change up the patterns constantly and what happens is after doing those drills for several months, the boys have learned the geometries of the passing game and can do all sorts of pass-move combos on the fly without thinking.

There’s no way that I, as “dad coach”, could even attempt to do those kinds of drills. Even the academy coaches had to be trained in how to run these types of drills. I know you like to bash the academy teams for the bad results of US Soccer, but the academy program is raising the level of coaching, and hopefully that will filter down.

Academy started out about 10 years advertising a 10-year program to world-level soccer excellence. Look where we are now.

Academy could have started 10 years ago with the cohort of then-10-year-olds. Instead they started with boys in their late teams who were already as developed as they likely were ever going to be, recruited the best players in their neighborhoods, and charged their parents premium fees for no improvement in individual skills. I will grant that the level of play in their closed circuits was better than the previous average, but it was a dead end money-grabber, obvious to anyone who looked hard at what was going on.

Reactions: JJP
Did you ever heard of Youtube? You can get all that training and more freely there so why pay for a gimmick. Plus clubs pay a license to be coerver "certified".

Gimmick? YouTube clips are not a gimmick, but the DVDs YouTube rips from are? Not everything out there is on YouTube. It was worth $100 for me to have the complete DVD to show my son how you progressed from basic drills to more advanced play

HS soccer is bad? A good player would make those around them better, and probably will show that they are actually that good, because they don't depend in a All Star Squad to make themselves good. And I do value the training/competition among same caliber players, but not everybody is the same and there are qualities that players can't display in these super stack systematic teams.

That’s not how soccer works. Good players don’t make bad players better. Bad players make good players worse. Let’s say you have an academy player on a HS team playing the 10. Academy teams practice all sorts of give and go passing drills to “unlock” their 10 to take a shot on goal. Watch clips of Messi and see how Barcelona “unlocks” him to see how the pros do it. The academy 10 on a HS team is nowhere near as effective because his HS team can’t pass/receive well enough to unlock him.

We have such a facility in our area but I would hardly say that training costs peanuts on the dollar. The training is top notch but very very expensive.

I've been to the one he posted. It does well. It has a loyal clientele. And it's not peanuts on the dollar...their entire sales pitch is to hook you with a single class and then get you to sign up for more expensive series once you've taken the koolaid. That said some programs are better than others: the basketball and track people swear by it. They also have great ancillary services like birthday parties, a gym, workspace rooms, and sports medicine. The soccer program isn't as great.

She beat up a male twice her size who attacked her in a family dispute. What else you got?
So that qualifies her to be President of US Soccer? Why hold an election. Throw them all in a cage and last man/woman standing can be god(dess)-emperor of US soccer.

So that qualifies her to be President of US Soccer? Why hold an election. Throw them all in a cage and last man/woman standing can be god(dess)-emperor of US soccer.

Are you ignoring what I was responding to? Do you have anything else to add?

Gimmick? YouTube clips are not a gimmick, but the DVDs YouTube rips from are? Not everything out there is on YouTube. It was worth $100 for me to have the complete DVD to show my son how you progressed from basic drills to more advanced play
That's cool that your $100 investment on DVD's paid off for your DS.

That’s not how soccer works. Good players don’t make bad players better. Bad players make good players worse. Let’s say you have an academy player on a HS team playing the 10. Academy teams practice all sorts of give and go passing drills to “unlock” their 10 to take a shot on goal. Watch clips of Messi and see how Barcelona “unlocks” him to see how the pros do it. The academy 10 on a HS team is nowhere near as effective because his HS team can’t pass/receive well enough to unlock him.
"Good" Players that get worse by bad players is because they lack the intangibles ie heart, soccer iq, leadership, sportsmanship, things that are not thought anymore at home. I'll accept that there are a lot of flaws with HS sports in general, but to say that a so called superstar gets worst because of those bad players. In my book you are referring to overhype scrubs result of the grown men selling dreams in track suits fluffering dreams and the overall result shows in the USMNT results. Does Pulisic gets worst when he plays for the national team? Does Neymar gets worst when he plays for the national team? Did Aubameyang got any worst for playing for his national team?

A player getting worst is only his/her fault not 2 left feet Timmy.

Academy started out about 10 years advertising a 10-year program to world-level soccer excellence. Look where we are now.

Academy could have started 10 years ago with the cohort of then-10-year-olds. Instead they started with boys in their late teams who were already as developed as they likely were ever going to be, recruited the best players in their neighborhoods, and charged their parents premium fees for no improvement in individual skills. I will grant that the level of play in their closed circuits was better than the previous average, but it was a dead end money-grabber, obvious to anyone who looked hard at what was going on.
I agree with you that trying to improve kids after they hit HS is not the best use of time or money, but everyone wants a quick return, so they trained teens hoping it would do the trick. Obviously that was a fail. The problem with training youngers in basics is that it’s boring, time consuming and there’s no way to tell who the good players are going to be. That’s the role of dad coaches, or in the future mom coaches because this generation of girls knows how to play.

It’s hard to build great soccer players in the US, we don’t have soccer culture and, let’s face it, soccer is so hard to get real good at. But blaming USSDA’s academy program IMO is BS. I haven’t seen one suggestion that’s a viable alternative. The only suggestion I read here that made sense is Pulgita’s idea to use USSF money to build futsal courts all over the US.

"Good" Players that get worse by bad players is because they lack the intangibles ie heart, soccer iq, leadership, sportsmanship, things that are not thought anymore at home. I'll accept that there are a lot of flaws with HS sports in general, but to say that a so called superstar gets worst because of those bad players. In my book you are referring to overhype scrubs result of the grown men selling dreams in track suits fluffering dreams and the overall result shows in the USMNT results. Does Pulisic gets worst when he plays for the national team? Does Neymar gets worst when he plays for the national team? Did Aubameyang got any worst for playing for his national team?

A player getting worst is only his/her fault not 2 left feet Timmy.

Soccer is the ultimate team sport. A superstar on a bad team is wasted. Neymar is an all time great playing for one of the strongest NTs throughout soccer history, so I’m not sure what your point is on him.

If you watched UMNT games you will see that there were several games where Pulisic’s talents were wasted because his team was not good enough to take advantage of him.

I can see you like heart and energy and that’s great, but it’s no substitute for ball mastery (which very few HS players have) or high soccer IQ. When you see a team that plays with high soccer IQ, it’s like there’s one mind controlling 11 bodies. Once you have even 2 players with low soccer IQ on a team, that team loses its synergy and breaks down.

HS soccer is a mishmash of kids with differing levels of ball mastery, physical talent and soccer IQ. It pretty much degenerates into kickball to your best attacker on their weakest defender.

I've been to the one he posted. It does well. It has a loyal clientele. And it's not peanuts on the dollar...their entire sales pitch is to hook you with a single class and then get you to sign up for more expensive series once you've taken the koolaid. That said some programs are better than others: the basketball and track people swear by it. They also have great ancillary services like birthday parties, a gym, workspace rooms, and sports medicine. The soccer program isn't as great.

$10 Futsal for 2 hrs

8 1 hour long, small group sessions for $160 is peanuts compared to individual sessions ranging from $45 to $120 each in the area.

It's not for everyone but your kids getting in more touches then sitting at home.

She might be a firecracker, but she's honestly blunt! We need that, someone that will not be afraid to tell Don Garber that his capitalist model of pro soccer sucks, someone that will make sure USWNT gets their fair salary in comparison to their sucky counterparts in USMNT, someone that will end up the cronism, politics and red tape within the entire US Soccer. She might not be perfect, however she brings a change that's desperately needed! Oh and I forgot that she won 2 Olympic Gold medals and 1 World Cup!
Outspoken? Not polished? An outsider who will end the status quo? Sounds familiar...

Soccer is the ultimate team sport.

When you see a team that plays with high soccer IQ, it’s like there’s one mind controlling 11 bodies. Once you have even 2 players with low soccer IQ on a team, that team loses its synergy and breaks down.

Really the only way to have the talent we need, is for kids to be passionate about the sport and to go outside and practice with the same kind of obsessiveness they do in other sports. Our next door neighbor's 9-year-old son is out front shooting hoops the instant he wakes up, and the instant he gets home from school, every single day. He is sometimes by himself, and quite often joined by the neighborhood kids. He doesn't even play club basketball and is active in multiple sports, but he practices hoops- for hours- every single day.

Bottom line-- we have a ton of talent-- I honestly just think we need to dump the notion of a European model and come up with one that is all our own. I think that should incorporate and encourage the college game. But first, we need to start with a basic understanding of how the game of soccer works. Then, we need to promote it to the hilt so kids develop a fundamental "love of the game."

Last edited:
Back