DA and ECNL

I heard big clubs with dual DA ECNL tags have one year to decide. Surf and Blues being big clubs. The fact that they may not be competitive in both leagues is the driver but you can not just drop DA and then ask your ECNL team to either leave or become non-ECNL. ECNL does not allow two teams from the same club to play in the league. Not sure about that rule either but hey hearsay is fun.

WCFC is merging with Surf. I believe the reason the will no longer be ECNL is because ECNL only allows one team per club.

Let’s get caught up:

Last Year - RSC and Eagles lost ECNL due to picking DA. They were not allowed to keep both. ECNL had criteria in place that you had to have won an ECNL national championship to keep both. Blues, Surf, Slammers, West Coast did.

Surf was given an ultimatum by DA this year. But struck a deal somehow they are keeping both.

West Coast given same ultimatum. Chose DA. Nothing to due with becoming OC Surf. I think this was an easy choice for West Coast as their ECNL teams are struggling as are their DA teams.

From what I hear ECNL not adding any SoCal clubs this year, but that might change.

Let’s get caught up:

Last Year - RSC and Eagles lost ECNL due to picking DA. They were not allowed to keep both. ECNL had criteria in place that you had to have won an ECNL national championship to keep both. Blues, Surf, Slammers, West Coast did.

Surf was given an ultimatum by DA this year. But struck a deal somehow they are keeping both.

West Coast given same ultimatum. Chose DA. Nothing to due with becoming OC Surf. I think this was an easy choice for West Coast as their ECNL teams are struggling as are their DA teams.

From what I hear ECNL not adding any SoCal clubs this year, but that might change.
Most Regions have 8-10 ECNL clubs. The Southwest Region has 9. SoCal is a different market than Mass or NJ. SoCal = 22 Million, New Jersey = 9M, and Mass is 6.9 M. SoCal could be broken into two ECNL regions and still be competitive. That said, the DA has effectively performed the split. In SoCal the DA is here to stay and ECNL isn't going to grow, but by 1 club.

not sure about the DA being here to stay - seems not everyone is on the same page on that. lots of questions, lots of rumors, lots of different thoughts after this first year.

Most Regions have 8-10 ECNL clubs. The Southwest Region has 9. SoCal is a different market than Mass or NJ. SoCal = 22 Million, New Jersey = 9M, and Mass is 6.9 M. SoCal could be broken into two ECNL regions and still be competitive. That said, the DA has effectively performed the split. In SoCal the DA is here to stay and ECNL isn't going to grow, but by 1 club.
Where are they going to get the talent?

Where are they going to get the talent?
Easy...like this.
f4.gif

In case anyone is interested, below is the e-mail that the Michigan Hawks sent out to their membership about why they chose ECNL over DA and their plans for next year in ECNL. They will have two ECNL teams at each age group. One team is a 10-month commitment, and the other is only a 6-month commitment that allows players to play soccer in high school. Members of both teams are given the choice to play other sports in high school. I believe that the other big clubs who left DA to compete only in ECNL are following the same model.

From the Michigan Hawks:
The ECNL's holistic approach to the development of the entire player was one of the biggest reasons for our decision. We believe that we can provide a better overall experience for each of our players and families within the programming of the ECNL. Another important factor in this decision was our ability to include our first two teams into the ECNL for the 2018-2019 season. They have decided that based on the performance of our teams in the league this year, we will be able to have two teams participate moving forward. This gives us the ability to provide 30-40 kids in each age group the opportunity to compete at this elite level.

So, what does that mean? What will next year look like?

The club's plan in 2018-2019 for the 2005s will be to offer 2 ECNL teams to players. Both teams will be on a 10-month program, that will include conference games, ECNL Showcases and friendly weekends vs top clubs spread over the entire year.

The club's plan for the 2001s-2004s will be to offer 2 different team options to our players. The first will be a 10-month ECNL program, that will include conference games, ECNL Showcases and friendly weekends vs top clubs spread over the entire year. This team will be selected based on ability first and then the willingness of the player to commit to the 10-month calendar. Players on this team will be allowed to participate in other high school sports, just not soccer. This year round program has been a formula for success for our elite players for the last 5 years.

The Michigan Hawks will also offer 6-month ECNL programming for players, for those players that would like to play high school. The only difference for this group will be that they will play their conference schedule and showcases in the fall and winter, finishing up in early March, before high school starts. There will be an option for a spring showcase team for these players on the 6-month team that choose not to play in high school.

Interesting that they are now going to have a no HS Soccer ECNL team.
Appreciate that the HS soccer season for Massachusetts in in the fall (in California its Winter) and the ECNL in the NW conference plays from Fall through Spring. In the SW the conference doesn't schedule games in Dec-Feb to accommodate HS soccer). Other areas of the nation simply don't have the weather conditions that allow the flexibility we have in SoCal and must maximize their schedules accordingly.

Appreciate that the HS soccer season for Massachusetts in in the fall (in California its Winter) and the ECNL in the NW conference plays from Fall through Spring. In the SW the conference doesn't schedule games in Dec-Feb to accommodate HS soccer). Other areas of the nation simply don't have the weather conditions that allow the flexibility we have in SoCal and must maximize their schedules accordingly.

This is very similar to the DA program. Various areas of the country play HS in Fall, Winter, or Spring so it makes it very difficult to have any sort of National League and to hold showcases that all can attend and still play HS. Plus every HS I know of bans HS players from playing on outside teams during their season.

This is very similar to the DA program. Various areas of the country play HS in Fall, Winter, or Spring so it makes it very difficult to have any sort of National League and to hold showcases that all can attend and still play HS. Plus every HS I know of bans HS players from playing on outside teams during their season.
I don't know what the number is now, but this article claims, as of 2011, 26 states had eliminated the ban on playing on outside teams during the HS season: https://www.mercurynews.com/2014/01...ub-sports-participation-during-school-season/

Just curious if anyone has noticed any significant differences in their recruiting experience since the NCAA implemented their new “early recruiting” rules a couple of weeks ago? From what I’ve seen and heard the new rule change haven’t changed things all that much. I can’t speak for DA teams, but I am aware of a couple of teams (‘03 and ‘02 ECNL teams) that have had multiple college coaches attend their practices and games since the rule went into effect. Sounds like there is still a great deal of interest in the younger groups?

Back