DA and ECNL

It just confounds me why the CalSouth clubs can't get together and just form their own leagues. We have the best talent here, have the best weather here, and most of the best college programs are in the West. Also some of the best fields in the country with SilverLakes, Irvine, Carson, Oceanside and Polo Fields.

If your kids have gone and played in any "national" tournament, you know that most of the games are not even competitive until you play in the final rounds---likely against another CalSouth team.

Who cares about winning a "national" trophy when winning a CalSouth tournament is actually more challenging (bc the kids are likely facing better teams throughout the brackets).

Make a Tier1 league for the "A" teams, a Tier2 league for the "B" teams, etc. Have promotion/relegation for the top 3-5 teams in each league. Charge the parents a little more $ in return for not having to pay thousands of dollars on travel to places we would never CHOOSE to go on vacations.

Control the schedule so each club could have their own one tournament at some point in the year and show concern for the kids' health by having a mandatory 2-month break in December and January. Also, agree to have tryouts for all clubs after the year-end tournaments in a 1-2 week window. And, have one college showcase in the summer for all the scouts and coaches to come watch. The talent is here, the coaches WILL come.

Maybe this is too logical and obvious? But, all it would take is the biggest 4-5 clubs to get together (Beach, Galaxy, Legends, Galaxy, Surf) and the others will follow.

As a parent, would you be fine giving up the "national" champion quest? No brainer in my book.

You have the wrong clubs listed as the influencers other than Surf. FYI.

You’re hired!!! I’m not sure what the job is or what organization you’d be running- but I like the way you think.
Thanks TBuck. If I were CalSouth Prez, I'd be doing my best Adam Silver impression and trying to lead the clubs in this direction. Maybe someone important over there reads these Boards and gets inspired?

Thanks TBuck. If I were CalSouth Prez, I'd be doing my best Adam Silver impression and trying to lead the clubs in this direction. Maybe someone important over there reads these Boards and gets inspired?

You do realize that the clubs rejected this model, as they did not want to cede power to any sanctioning organization, individual nor league (ironic, I know, since they do that in both DA and ECNL). It was called CSL Premier and Calsoiuth National Cup, and pre-ECNL, was the best circuit and tournament in the US.

You do realize that the clubs rejected this model, as they did not want to cede power to any sanctioning organization, individual nor league (ironic, I know, since they do that in both DA and ECNL). It was called CSL Premier and Calsoiuth National Cup, and pre-ECNL, was the best circuit and tournament in the US.

Only us old timers remember Pre-ECNL now.

The not-too-subtly-hidden difficulty with CSL Premier was the politics involved with getting "invited". It was, however, the best youth soccer competition in the country, boys and girls, even after leaving out some of the best teams in Southern California.

Cal South National Cup is still the best State Cup tournament in the USYSA spectrum.

National league Far West Regionals?

Far West Regional League had greater Socal participation, as the travel costs where not as prohibitive. The major issue with FWRL was the scheduling, re-scheduling, and lack of coordination with other leagues and tournaments. The games were always something we seemed to fit in at the last possible moment.

I was never a fan of National League -- seemed created by USYS for the other regions to get them better competition. The primary reason we participated was the potential direct placement into National Cup Finals, an easier path than going through the Socal National Cup tournament grinder.

CSL Premier was the best of all worlds in terms of scheduling, cost and competition, though the combination of politics (mostly due to the subjective nature of the number of teams promoted/relegated each year, and the ocassional direct admittance of teams from other leagues) and clubs trying to game the system (through the returning teams roster qualification) left some teams/clubs unhappy. But let us not fool ourselves, the clubs who left to create ECNL and later SCDSL did so primarily to avoid the issues the CSL relegation system created with maintaining their rosters/teams.

Getting the Socal clubs together and them agreeing to a system that is in the best interests of Socal soccer and our families, and not themselves ... not likely. I wish USYS, US Club Soccer and US Soccer would create a single, sensible framework and pyramid of competition/leagues, but that is equally unlikely.

Not according to ECNL as of yesterday 7/3/18

18-19-Girls-ECNL-Club-Map-July-3.001.jpeg

http://www.eliteclubsnationalleague.com/2018/07/03/the-girls-ecnl-announces-2018-2019-membership/
Well, it's a wrap. Surf is out of ECNL.

I know my daughter and myself would be upset with DPL... If Surf new there could be ECNL problems then they should of planned better.... CRL or something should of been considered. The ECNL teams are screwed as of today!

seems like such a careless attitude to their families and players in the ECNL. Why wouldn't they be upfront with them and tell them what was happening before the new season starts in a few weeks.

Is it a case of “too many irons in the fire” and someone forgot about their core customer- which is kids and parents playing at the level that is right for them?

I know my daughter and myself would be upset with DPL... If Surf new there could be ECNL problems then they should of planned better.... CRL or something should of been considered. The ECNL teams are screwed as of today!
Don't your daughters play DA? I thought your 05 Surf team was DA and not ECNL

Back