DA and ECNL

I firmly believe the real issue driving a few clubs to leave DA and to focus full time on ECNL is money and that ECNL likely gives them a opportunity to make more money.

You "firmly believe"? Last time it was the "Eastern forums" you claimed were saying this. But you ignored the request to post a link. Wonder why.....

Yup, soccer clubs and and soccer organizations want to make money. But saying ECNL is more guilty of that than DA is something you need actual evidence for. You just promoting everything DA and tearing down everything else with make-believe just doesn't cut it.

Simi loves the DA because his DD got a chance to play in the big league when it wasn't happening before with just ECNL. Eveything that is "great" about the DA was already there in ECNL and better honestly.

Simi loves the DA. Everything that is "great" about the DA was already there in ECNL and better honestly.

He and Beach Parents, LAPFC Parents, Legends Parents, LA Galaxy SD Parents, Albion Parents not that their kids were not good enough, just drinking the drink.

Honesty ECNL should of been more stringent on performance, coaching licenses and kicked clubs out who were not performing.

I hope DA does this, why do clubs like PSV Nor Cal belong, look a their goal differential. Give them a 3 year period, if not better clubs got to go that are keeping up.

He and Beach Parents, LAPFC Parents, Legends Parents, LA Galaxy SD Parents, Albion Parents not that their kids were not good enough, just drinking the drink.

Honesty ECNL should of been more stringent on performance, coaching licenses and kicked clubs out who were not performing.
If your gonna call out Beach Parents you must know how long Beach tried getting into ECNL, but the collective group of ECNL teams in soCal held them and Legends out. Being one of these Beach parents (one who feels of ECNL provides more geographic representation GDA would most likely not exhist). It is irritating and somewhat offensive to be generalized and labeled as a “koolaide drinker”. Money and Politics are the main reason we are in this situation.

I want what is best for my DD’s and at this moment in time GDA is the sole vehicle available to us that provides the training, exposure and social environment that has helped my oldest thrive and given my youngest a renewed determination to improve and be a better player.

Why does this discussion have to be so polarizing?

I hope DA does this, why do clubs like PSV Nor Cal belong, look a their goal differential. Give them a 3 year period, if not better clubs got to go that are keeping up.

Grammatical history -- "should have" -> "should've" -> "should of".

Actually we never tried out for ECNL. We stayed loyal to our home town club too long. And my post about ECNL was not a knock at it. They have a great model that I believe also works economically better for clubs. With less practice days and a shorter season my guess would be that they pay less in training fees to coaches. Without dual age brackets they also have more teams to collect fees from.

If your gonna call out Beach Parents you must know how long Beach tried getting into ECNL, but the collective group of ECNL teams in soCal held them and Legends out. Being one of these Beach parents (one who feels of ECNL provides more geographic representation GDA would most likely not exhist). It is irritating and somewhat offensive to be generalized and labeled as a “koolaide drinker”. Money and Politics are the main reason we are in this situation.

I want what is best for my DD’s and at this moment in time GDA is the sole vehicle available to us that provides the training, exposure and social environment that has helped my oldest thrive and given my youngest a renewed determination to improve and be a better player.

Why does this discussion have to be so polarizing?

Beach and Legends are strong clubs that produced ECNL quality teams and D1 players long before GDA. I do agree that it seems like it would have been more difficult for US Soccer to organize GDA without these two clubs. The others listed probably don’t belong.

The reason for the polarized discussion is because of the narcissism of petty differences. There are no big differences between ECNL and GDA so everyone fights intensely over the little ones. As it currently stands, both leagues have some very good teams at the top of the table and some not so good teams at the bottom. Both leagues ask parents to pay way too much to play games outside of Southern California instead of playing local teams from the other league that are at the same level.

As a result, there are arguments about high school and practice time and substitution rules - each of these will be interpreted differently depending on each player’s circumstances. If a player’s high school program is a disaster, she may not miss it playing GDA. If her high school program is worthwhile, she will be glad she is in ECNL. And what high level player is really only practicing three nights a week?

For better or worse, most players need to play their soccer close to where they live. All one can hope is that the local program fits your player’s needs.

My guess is that players at Beach and Legends are no better now than they were before GDA - which means they are still great!

Beach and Legends are strong clubs that produced ECNL quality teams and D1 players long before GDA. I do agree that it seems like it would have been more difficult for US Soccer to organize GDA without these two clubs. The others listed probably don’t belong.

The reason for the polarized discussion is because of the narcissism of petty differences. There are no big differences between ECNL and GDA so everyone fights intensely over the little ones. As it currently stands, both leagues have some very good teams at the top of the table and some not so good teams at the bottom. Both leagues ask parents to pay way too much to play games outside of Southern California instead of playing local teams from the other league that are at the same level.

As a result, there are arguments about high school and practice time and substitution rules - each of these will be interpreted differently depending on each player’s circumstances. If a player’s high school program is a disaster, she may not miss it playing GDA. If her high school program is worthwhile, she will be glad she is in ECNL. And what high level player is really only practicing three nights a week?

For better or worse, most players need to play their soccer close to where they live. All one can hope is that the local program fits your player’s needs.

My guess is that players at Beach and Legends are no better now than they were before GDA - which means they are still great!
As always, for a Dummy you are pretty smart. To bad most parents don’t get this and bypass multiple worthy clubs in the hopes of getting a golden ticket.

Surf has been told, 2018-19 will be the last of both. They will have to pick one or the other next Spring. Unless this has changed since Monday.

So let’s take the disscusion further, what if they choose ECNL? Blues chooses ECNL, Slammers stays. Is ECNL not a more viable choice?

DA is becoming regionally strong, not nationally next year. ECNL will be strong everywhere except So Cal and Texas next year.

Would this be a ground breaking decision? An outside of the box decision? Or death for Surf?

Well, I found out Surf is not being forthright.

They will not have ECNL next year and are scrambling to broker a deal with SD Force that Force would be given the ECNL Franchise, but the teams would train at Polo and be Surf teams. I can’t make this stuff up.

Also hear SDSC may be given ECNL. But that is second hand.

They will not have ECNL next year and are scrambling to broker a deal with SD Force that Force would be given the ECNL Franchise, but the teams would train at Polo and be Surf teams. I can’t make this stuff up.

Please define “next year.” Do you mean in a few months or a
year from now?

Why pick Force? The brothers did not leave Surf in a good way, I believe even leaving some of the Surf teams without a coach for a few months. Plus does Surf really want joysticking coaches? Does not help the brand image.

year from now?

Why pick Force? The brothers did not leave Surf in a good way, I believe even leaving some of the Surf teams without a coach for a few months. Plus does Surf really want joysticking coaches? Does not help the brand image.
Surf will do anything to keep ECNL. That's a lot of $$ to give up.

year from now?

In a few months. Not sure why pick Force, but that is who they are talking too.

In a few months. Not sure why pick Force, but that is who they are talking too.
Why not let OC Surf/West Coast keep DA and have SD Surf keep ECNL.
Isn’t that what slammers and lafc are kinda doing?
I’m sure they can find some kind of loophole to make it happen. (And by “it”- I mean keep or make more money)

I heard GPS will get ECNL. They're already using the Polo Fields as their home field this year and only have a few teams so Surf can keep all their teams in tact and GPS will just add their few good teams to the program.

What do I win? Is that story as likely as yours?

Whatever the situation is here it is unfortunate for the girls impacted by all of this. It seems like the only thing consistent over the 5 years of club soccer for my DD has been chaos. Whether it be club mergers, new leagues, birth year changes, field issues and lots of politics. Hard to teach/learn a team game under these circumstances...

I heard GPS will get ECNL. They're already using the Polo Fields as their home field this year and only have a few teams so Surf can keep all their teams in tact and GPS will just add their few good teams to the program.

What do I win? Is that story as likely as yours?

Nothing. It is sad that the club is not being truthful with parents that have paid a deposit already for ECNL at Surf, when whether is is GPS or Force, it is something other than what they signed up for.

To many snakes in club soccer, just sad.

Nothing. It is sad that the club is not being truthful with parents that have paid a deposit already for ECNL at Surf, when whether is is GPS or Force, it is something other than what they signed up for.

To many snakes in club soccer, just sad.
I don't feel like (most) people involved in soccer are trying to screw things up as bad as they have. Everyone just operates in such a vacuum that they can't see any downstream impacts on decisions that they make.
I'd love to sit in a strategy meeting at a club like Surf or at an ECNL or DA Board Meeting to observe how they make decisions.
We might need to bring in some more "business people", because the "Soccer people" at the youth level can't seem to get out of their own way.

Back